Guarantee cabin assignment

Maksim

We are in Equinox 6 day Caribbean from FLL. Booked concierge guarantee and was already assigned a cabin, even though we are still over 45 days until the cruise. I really don’t like the location of this cabin. Has anyone tried and was able to change the cabin? I don’t rely on the upgrade, and the bids for upgrade are high. Any recommendations?

They will usually switch you if a cabin in the same category is available so call them with some choices from what's available.  However, I would note that this is the chance you take with any guarantee booking.  You get a lower price because you're letting the cruise line control where you end up.  Something to consider in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

They will usually switch you if a cabin in the same category is available so call them with some choices from what's available.  However, I would note that this is the chance you take with any guarantee booking.  You get a lower price because you're letting the cruise line control where you end up.  Something to consider in the future.

ITA.  I'm usually happy with my guarantee cabins.  It's pretty much a gamble.  I booked a guarantee inside and got a deluxe balcony on another cruise.  

• Like 3

When I booked guarantee cabins, as soon as the cabin is assigned I was able to have my agent change to a more desirable cabin.   Only restriction is that has to be in the same sub-category -  eg C1 to C1   C2 to C2.  

I had also been able to pay upgrade to a higher classification after final payment when prices dropped to almost the same price.   

• Like 1

We were just assigned 1002, a guaranteed concierge cabin, at 115 days prior to a very empty cruise. Didn’t realize there were any “bad” concierge rooms, but after looking this one up, I doubt if I’ll ever do guarantee again with Celebrity. Have had way better luck with Holland with guarantees. Oh well. I guess we’ll get to watch the captain do his thing from our balcony! Could be entertaining.

"Bad" is in the eye of the beholder.  There are certain things that make rooms less desirable to many.  Too far forward is one.  Limited view is another.  Some don't want public spaces above or below them. Lots of factors.  I'm sure X knows which cabins tend to be left in inventory from those who are picking their own.  Guarantee is the way they fill up the others.  It is the luck of the draw, though, since every cruise is different.  They are usually good about reassigning within the same category if you contact them, assuming rooms are still available.

Other lines handle their assignments differently and have their own rules.  Doesn't HAL tend to assign their guarantees closer to the sail date?  Easier to see inventory for upgrades at that point.  X is really into the paid upgrade scheme.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, buzz031 said:

We were just assigned 1002, a guaranteed concierge cabin, at 115 days prior to a very empty cruise. Didn’t realize there were any “bad” concierge rooms, but after looking this one up, I doubt if I’ll ever do guarantee again with Celebrity. Have had way better luck with Holland with guarantees. Oh well. I guess we’ll get to watch the captain do his thing from our balcony! Could be entertaining.

The one time we booked a guarantee cabin we were assigned the most forward cabin in the category.  Our TA was able to get it changed to a different cabin towards the aft.

I just saw a new thread where someone stated that they were told today that they cannot move cabins after assignment.

34 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

The one time we booked a guarantee cabin we were assigned the most forward cabin in the category.  Our TA was able to get it changed to a different cabin towards the aft.

I just saw a new thread where someone stated that they were told today that they cannot move cabins after assignment.

Maybe that's why I have enjoyed all my guarantee cabins, they have all been forward and we love the rocking while we sleep.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

that they cannot move cabins after assignment.

I saw that thread too. I decided to call and talk with X today and the only option was the upsell and since it was "only" $90, decided to make the change. The rep did say that the cabin assigned (#1002) could change at any time in the next 115 days before the actual cruise, but we just wanted to enjoy our vacation in a cabin that was a tad further back (like in aft, lol), so changed it.

9 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

"Bad" is in the eye of the beholder.  There are certain things that make rooms less desirable to many.  Too far forward is one.  Limited view is another.  Some don't want public spaces above or below them. Lots of factors.  I'm sure X knows which cabins tend to be left in inventory from those who are picking their own.  Guarantee is the way they fill up the others.  It is the luck of the draw, though, since every cruise is different.  They are usually good about reassigning within the same category if you contact them, assuming rooms are still available.

Other lines handle their assignments differently and have their own rules.  Doesn't HAL tend to assign their guarantees closer to the sail date?  Easier to see inventory for upgrades at that point.  X is really into the paid upgrade scheme.

While I can agree with you in a general nature I can tell you I have had a truly bad Guarantee Sky Suite.  2130 - 2136 -  Accessible cabins and while that is ok with me -  It is right underneath where they push the dirty and clean dishes in and out of the kitchen for the OVC.    Starting at about 6:30-10 AM every 10 minutes it sounds like a subway going by.  Reoccurs at lunch and Dinner times.   All of the occupants in that area were complaining but all Suites were sold out. 

I can't imagine anyone finding that a location that would be acceptable.  Luckily on the next cruise we won an upgrade.

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While I can agree with you in a general nature I can tell you I have had a truly bad Guarantee Sky Suite.  2130 - 2136 -  Accessible cabins and while that is ok with me -  It is right underneath where they push the dirty and clean dishes in and out of the kitchen for the OVC.    Starting at about 6:30-10 AM every 10 minutes it sounds like a subway going by.  Reoccurs at lunch and Dinner times.   All of the occupants in that area were complaining but all Suites were sold out. 

I can't imagine anyone finding that a location that would be acceptable.  Luckily on the next cruise we won an upgrade.

been there done that but they started at 4:30am. We finally got moved when a pax had to leave ship due to an issue at home. Found out 3 years later when we met them on board again and asked where they went and the realized we moved to their cabin

Guarantees are tricky but the cost savings can be significant. I know this post is about Reflection (S class) , but for those reading…Edge class in particular has a lot of additional blocked partial views that other ships don’t have due to the magic carpet- support structure and looking at the underside of the magic carpet. 

If they won’t change a guarantee location, just watch for price drops after final payment and perhaps pay for the upgrade. 

Edited by mickeysgal
  • Like 1

Thank you all for valuable comments. The interesting thing is, I was trying to go into the search for our cruise (like I am trying to book) to see what’s available, and our cruise is gone from the available cruises. Does this mean it’s sold out? My TA has not returned my call yet, but my DH thinks this is not such a bad location. It’s forward about 2/3 from the very front and 1/3 from the front elevators. Will see what happens and will report to this thread.

• Like 1

one of the first things taught in travel school to potential cruise consultants is to be very hesitant to advise clients to book guaranteed cabins....Book early and use cruisedeckplans to do you homework for a great location.....worth the extra couple bucks to pick the right deck, the right location so that you can actually enjoy your cabin.

13 minutes ago, retired dude said:

one of the first things taught in travel school to potential cruise consultants is to be very hesitant to advise clients to book guaranteed cabins....Book early and use cruisedeckplans to do you homework for a great location.....worth the extra couple bucks to pick the right deck, the right location so that you can actually enjoy your cabin.

It was my TA who told me not to worry about booking a guarantee, since he could move me to a different cabin if I did not like the cabin I was assigned to.  He successfully moved me after my initial cabin was assigned. 

On 5/30/2023 at 11:30 PM, Maksim said:

We are in Equinox 6 day Caribbean from FLL. Booked concierge guarantee and was already assigned a cabin, even though we are still over 45 days until the cruise. I really don’t like the location of this cabin. Has anyone tried and was able to change the cabin? I don’t rely on the upgrade, and the bids for upgrade are high. Any recommendations?

If I might ask out of curiosity, why did you choose to book a Guarantee cabin rather than a specific one? I've always wondered why someone does that as they are usually the same price, correct?

Update: I just read your response to the previous post. It's because your TA told you to. Not sure why, but that's OK. We've never booked a guarantee cabin and probably never will. Location, especially when it comes to the position of the sun on the cruise, plays an important decision for us as we like to sit on the balcony in the shade if at all possible.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

21 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask out of curiosity, why did you choose to book a Guarantee cabin rather than a specific one?

We booked one on Infinity because it was the only option available at the time of booking.

4 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

We booked one on Infinity because it was the only option available at the time of booking.

That I can understand. It's when there are plenty in a particular category to book that I wonder why someone would choose the guarantee option.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That I can understand. It's when there are plenty in a particular category to book that I wonder why someone would choose the guarantee option.

A guarantee is often much less expensive.  When I booked one, it was about $1,000 per person cheaper.  

For this special mentioned earlier this week, the veranda guarantee was $999 per person, and the cheapest assigned veranda category was over $2,500 per person.  The guarantees sold out quickly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

A guarantee is often much less expensive.  When I booked one, it was about $1,000 per person cheaper.  

For this special mentioned earlier this week, the veranda guarantee was $999 per person, and the cheapest assigned veranda category was over $2,500 per person.  The guarantees sold out quickly.

In that instance that makes sense. But in that instance, you really can’t complain about the cabin location since you chose the cheaper option.

46 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

In that instance that makes sense. But in that instance, you really can’t complain about the cabin location since you chose the cheaper option.

I've booked quite a few verandah GTY'S and have always been happy with my cabin location. In August taking my 11 year old Grandson on an RCI cruise and booked an inside GTY two weeks ago. Yesterday the verandas dropped in price several hundred so called and they upgraded us to a verandah guarantee at no additional cost.  They said booking was price protected not really sure why as it should have been a couple hundred more but happy nonetheless. 

• Like 2

Here is my update. Since my TA didn’t call back, I called Celebrity direct as I had some other questions. The agent was very nice and I explained that I am looking for a better location. She said she will check if there is even availability before I go back to my TA. Turns out, this cruise is sold out and nothing is available. This is quite interesting, because many cruises were going at half or 3/4 occupancy. This is actually my 2nd time booking guarantee and I had good luck last time.