Cancelled cruise question

Cookson

Unfortunately we had to cancel our cruise that was sailing in August. I cancelled through the website today where it said we would be assessed a penalty. I clicked “yes” to cancel the cruise. After that the booking was gone from the site and I haven’t received an email confirmation at this moment with the refund amount we’ll receive etc.

I guess my questions are.. should I expect a email confirmation? Or will the refund just happen? How long does it take to get the refund? 7-10 days is something I see typically. Thanks 

8 hours ago, Cookson said:

Unfortunately we had to cancel our cruise that was sailing in August. I cancelled through the website today where it said we would be assessed a penalty. I clicked “yes” to cancel the cruise. After that the booking was gone from the site and I haven’t received an email confirmation at this moment with the refund amount we’ll receive etc.

I guess my questions are.. should I expect a email confirmation? Or will the refund just happen? How long does it take to get the refund? 7-10 days is something I see typically. Thanks 

I don't have personal experience to share on this so I would go to the Carnival site and look at the cancellation terms & conditions. The information should be there.

For future reference (should this ever happen again), I do not recommend cancelling on the website.  If you had called, they would have been able to provide better information for you regarding any expected refunds/future cruise credits.

What's done is done and, unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you other than to say that most refunds have been taking somewhere around 10-14 days.

When you go into to cancel, it will tell you the penalty you will be assessed for cancelling.  It should have given you a specific dollar amount, and then you have to confirm that penalty.

It can take a couple days to get the email.  In that it will also confirm the penalty amount (not the actual refund amount).

Be advised, though, depending on your booking code, etc. you may or may not get actual monies back.  Sometimes it is held as a future cruise credit, sometimes it is a refund.  Penalty amounts also very widely depending on your booking code - some are completely non-refundable at all and if you cancel you just lose your paid amount.

I would strongly suggest you call Carnival to get clarification on what you have coming back to you and in what form (future cruise credit or actual refund).

When we cancelled a cruise earlier this year, we received our credit card refund amount in about a week and our gift card amount (final payment was gift card) in about two weeks.  If I remember correctly it took a day or so to actually get the cancellation email.

• Like 1

I did get a cancellation email recently fyi. It was a little confusing so I did call. I did have a penalty (basically the deposit) but the remaining amount will be refunded in like 7 days she said. I’ll update here when it comes but seems like 7-10 days is standard. 

I cancelled online earlier this month. I did get a email and said it was a non refundable $250 deposit. But they said the would extend a future cruise credit for deposit minus $50 pp service fee. I have 1 year from cancellation date to book another cruise and use the fcc.