Is Liberty of the Sea too big???

20 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

156k GT is small?  😄

What do you consider Empress at 48.5k GT?  A lifeboat?

FYI - I did a 10 night non-stop TA (Lisbon to San Juan) on Azamara Journey (30k GT) and would do it again.

LOL - another cruiser who enjoys cruising and being on a ship and doesn't cruise to do the things one can do on shore (waterparks, amusement rides, Broadway shows, etc).

We call the larger ships Beehives of the Seas.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

another cruiser who enjoys cruising and being on a ship and doesn't cruise to do the things one can do on shore (waterparks, amusement rides, Broadway shows, etc).

Oasis class is my favorite, love CocoCay, and I've never done any of those things.

That said, other than being on a moving vessel at sea, you can pretty much do just about anything onshore that the ship offers.

Different strokes...

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, pspercy said:

IIRC that was introduced on Voyager class and was a true innovation and an engineering marvel at the time.

Voyager & Freedom classes are our favourite with Radiance class not far behind😃

Voyager was the very first with the Royal Promenade.  (sorry for the confusion)  Previously I was saying how similar Voyager and Freedom Classes were, so I lumped them together but technically you are absolutely correct.

22 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

that was introduced on Voyager class and was a true innovation and an engineering marvel at the time

My first ever cruise was on Voyager. Probably contributes to why I find any older class too small. First time I saw a centrum instead of a promenade it felt a bit claustrophobic.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

My first ever cruise was on Voyager. Probably contributes to why I find any older class too small. First time I saw a centrum instead of a promenade it felt a bit claustrophobic.

Yeah, same feelings regarding centrums.  We've experienced them twice. 

One on the Celebrity Equinox.  LOVE everything about that ship EXCEPT the centrums.  No grand open area on that ship.  We'll be on the Equinox again in December.  Can't wait, but miss the Promenade.

The other was the NCL Getaway.  Again, did not like the centrums, but also that ship has a horrible pool deck.  Good thing we had the drink package, 😄 it allowed us to look past some of the negatives.  Still had a great time though. 

• Like 1

My first cruise was on Sovereign, convinced this claustrophobic landlubber that she wasn't going to have issues with cruising, although I prefer to keep it to about 7 nights.

From there we worked our way up to Oasis. Happy to go back to the Freedom class. I am open to the class after Oasis.

Edited by temple1

19 hours ago, HBE4 said:

All correct. And when the Freedom-class was still under development, it was referred to as a stretched Voyager since - as you pointed out - the same basic design, just a bit longer.

Ultra-Voyager was the name given to the new class by Royal Caribbean.  (Voyager class was Eagle class when it was on the drawing board).

Ultra-Voyager, i.e., Freedom class ships, are IDENTICAL to Voyager class ships in size, except that they are longer.  Not wider, just longer.  If you close your eyes, you would not know which ship's aft section you were in.  (Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Freedom, Liberty, Independence). As described by others, the extra length puts more space in the Royal Promenade, and throughout that central area, up to the pool deck.

• Like 2

I haven't looked it up but I felt like the elevators were always an issue on my recent Liberty cruise. Are there less elevators/ passenger count? I don't know. There are things I don't like about Oasis class but I felt like there were adequate elevators despite the large number of pax.

The Windjammer also felt inadequate for the number of passengers. Everything else was fine, easy to get bar drinks, seats for the ice show, etc.

I think Radiance class is my favorite on the whole. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I haven't looked it up but I felt like the elevators were always an issue on my recent Liberty cruise. Are there less elevators/ passenger count? I don't know. There are things I don't like about Oasis class but I felt like there were adequate elevators despite the large number of pax.

The Windjammer also felt inadequate for the number of passengers. Everything else was fine, easy to get bar drinks, seats for the ice show, etc.

I think Radiance class is my favorite on the whole. 

Those are actually the two most common complaints about OASIS - elevators and Windjammer.  😄 😄 😄

Back in 1984 I was concerned about a new ship being too big, it had 1200 passengers...

We sail on all sizes these days.  I biggest complaint about the Oasis class is the Windjammer.  Poor design with that does not have good traffic flow.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

Those are actually the two most common complaints about OASIS - elevators and Windjammer.  😄 😄 😄

Absolutely, the Windjammer on Oasis is way too small. At least there are a bunch of other places to eat though.

On 5/31/2023 at 9:17 PM, Dona March said:

a little nervous about sharing s ship with almost 4,000 fellow cruisers!!!

If at any time you feel like there are too many people around you (you won't but if you do) then go to the gym.  You will not see anyone there...  😁

(Liberty's Gym on a Sea Day taken on May 24, 2023)

image.thumb.png.c3575766cc0baf4fb8b43bdc71e173e1.png

• Haha 1