Odd things we sometimes like to bring with us on a cruise

larrybritt

On 6/2/2023 at 5:41 AM, larrybritt said:

I always like to bring my own bar of soap too. There is just something about getting more later from a bar soap even though princess provided plenty of shampoo and soap.

I do too. I find their soap dries my skin out too quickly. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

I've tried phone apps and I can hear the loops and it bothers me. I finally found what I think is the best ever! 'Lectro Fan has all unique, digitally synthesized and non-looping noise. Be sure if you get one not on their website that it includes the warranty as most sites don't. Obviously takes up some room in a suitcase as opposed to your phone, but I think it's so much better and doesn't run down your phone (apps make my phone hot too).

We bring the Electro Fan sound machine also. We like it because it has a white noise and fan sound button, then you adjust the volume accordingly. No birds,  jungle sounds or waterfalls etc.and no loop. We wrap it in bubble wrap in our suitcase for more room.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, larrybritt said:

We are now researching to try to find a decent noise ma home that makes a fan noise as well. Never tried one but think for an Alaska trip from east coast tough to bring our own fan.

We are trying a Venty - it is a collapsible fan that weighs less than 3 pounds and can run for 48 hours straight. They're a little pricy but we will use it anytime we are away from home.

19 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

I've tried phone apps and I can hear the loops and it bothers me. I finally found what I think is the best ever! 'Lectro Fan has all unique, digitally synthesized and non-looping noise. Be sure if you get one not on their website that it includes the warranty as most sites don't. Obviously takes up some room in a suitcase as opposed to your phone, but I think it's so much better and doesn't run down your phone (apps make my phone hot too).

thanks for the heads up.  I only tested out the "Gray Noise" overnight, so perhaps the loop on that isn't as obvious.  The app does claim to have 50+ "perfectly looped" sounds, but I'd have to listen for longer to see how true that is.  I have an old iphone and it didn't get hot running the app, but I know some apps can do that.  I'm guessing that the 'Lectro Fan does a much better job though, so I might just look into it - thanks!

12 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

Wow! If I packed all the extras in this and other packing threads, I would have to pack multiple additional suitcases.

It is interesting to read about what some folks deem as necessary on a cruise. So far I haven't read about anything yet I can't live without. 😉

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 6/3/2023 at 6:59 PM, Lady Arwen said:

Just look up “the dentist everyone hates”!  Root canals get a bad rap but if you have tooth pain I’m your best friend, well sorta. lol

Nearly ruined a trip to Jamaica for me years ago - you're right, seeing the Endo was like seeing God for me after a few long, long days! Ahhh, relief!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:
On 6/5/2023 at 2:48 PM, larrybritt said:

We are now researching to try to find a decent noise ma home that makes a fan noise as well. Never tried one but think for an Alaska trip from east coast tough to bring our own fan.

See my post no.17 in this thread.  The sound machine is small, as loud as you want it, and non-looping which is essential.

On 6/3/2023 at 4:33 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I don't personally travel with a fan, but I've heard of many cruisers that do, so I don't think it's all that unusual.

Pillows are more unusual, I think, but you're certainly not alone.  I find myself inundated with TOO MANY pillows when I travel - both hotels and cruises.  Anything more than two is overkill, IMHO.  That's probably more rare than people who bring pillows along.

Anyway, my newest friend insisted I bring him along on my last cruise (Ruby in April).  That's a little unusual:

IMG_20230412_154510.thumb.jpg.c1d3b90e57ff1209759622edff514265.jpg

Hudson-Merida-Monument.thumb.jpg.8e5d723a76262055f6d45849f39d27b1.jpg

We take Captain Hudson too - so far he's only been on one cruise, but he's looking forward to many more!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaCBear said:

We take Captain Hudson too - so far he's only been on one cruise, but he's looking forward to many more!  

Hudson made it just in time for my one cruise with him. He'll go on several more with me, but none for the next few months.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 5:51 PM, Thrak said:

I plan to start packing ear plugs. Often the music in the theater is just too darn loud.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015WJQ7A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I carry these everywhere! I'm a singer and I have to protect my hearing, but I also want to hear the music and typical cheap earplugs don't do it for me. These are great for when you want to "turn the volume down" but still hear.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 7:48 AM, KatRangoon said:

So, something I haven't brought before but I'm bringing this time is a cheap bed sheet to tuck around the loveseat in the room. The last time we cruised was in a family suite and the group before us must have had out of control kids because there was jelly or syrup or something all over that couch. Our steward tried to clean it as soon as we brought it to his attention, but we still found sticky spots as we would sit the rest of the trip. We also joked about what other things are probably embedded in those couches and were so grossed out we're going to see if we can use a sheet as a protective cover this time. 

You can probably ask for a bed sheet so you don't have to bring one.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 3:32 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Well, when I cruise on a line without guest laundromats, I pack a lightweight collapsible plastic bucket for in-cabin laundry needs

No need to bring the bucket. Try a large zip lock bag instead.  You can "agitate it" or "spin it" too. I will also wash small or light items when I'm in the shower - socks, bras, under clothes - sometimes.

On 6/5/2023 at 3:32 PM, SargassoPirate said:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Napagirl said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015WJQ7A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I carry these everywhere! I'm a singer and I have to protect my hearing, but I also want to hear the music and typical cheap earplugs don't do it for me. These are great for when you want to "turn the volume down" but still hear.

These look really good, I never knew they existed!

• Like 1

I don't understand people bringing fans from home.  I've always called Guest Services prior to my cruise and arranged for a "ship supplied fan" to be placed in my cabin.  They have both small & large fans.  I've found it best to arrange for this prior to embarking as they are limited in their supply.   Yes I like fans also; not only for white noise -- but love the air circulation.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2023 at 2:42 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Yeah, I'd like to know what they really think as well, but they do seem appreciative.  

We brought cheap Walmart Fold-Up Camp Chairs when doing a 51 Day Pacific Isle Cruise.  They came in really handy on those islands with no seating.  Plus we could sit in the water with them.  Night before disembarking; we asked the Cabin Steward if they would like them & if not, we'd remove them.  They REALLY wanted them - as they were said they were easy to store in their small crew cabin PLUS they would enjoy using them on their "days off ashore".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

UV Air Purifer & a Humidifier --- haven't seen anyone posting these!!!

After 3 consecutive years of returning from Long cruises with upper respiratory infections; our Primary Care Dr suggested we cruise with a UV Air Purifier and a Humidifier....(as back then at least - the air from A/C Units were servicing more than one cabin on the shared vent system - which he said caused virus germs to travel from one cabin to another...& usually the vent was right over the bed!)  Luckily we did this on our 2019 96 Day B2B Cruise that ended after Xmas 2019 when many were coming down with Covid.  We have traveled with these two items since.  We are no longer coming down with illness.  Made a huge difference for us. Note:  We are Seniors in the upper 70's so our immune system isn't as strong as younger people.

Needing distilled water for the humidifer --- is when I first became aware that you can order gallons of distilled water on board.  I usually do this before my cruise.  Last check HAL was still only charging $2.95 a gallon & you could place multiple orders with a specific date as to when they should be delivered to your cabin.  

image.thumb.jpeg.7a3e91b49ee1ab7788109b1c18c484fe.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

the air from A/C Units were servicing more than one cabin on the shared vent system - which he said caused virus germs to travel from one cabin to another...

I’d be really interested in hearing @chengkp75’s take on this. 

Just now, CruisingGrandmaW said:

After 3 consecutive years of returning from Long cruises with upper respiratory infections; our Primary Care Dr suggested we cruise with a UV Air Purifier and a Humidifier....(as back then at least - the air from A/C Units were servicing more than one cabin on the shared vent system - which he said caused virus germs to travel from one cabin to another...& usually the vent was right over the bed!)  Luckily we did this on our 2019 96 Day B2B Cruise that ended after Xmas 2019 when many were coming down with Covid.  We have traveled with these two items since.  We are no longer coming down with illness.  Made a huge difference for us. Note:  We are Seniors in the upper 70's so our immune system isn't as strong as younger people.

Needing distilled water for the humidifer --- is when I first became aware that you can order gallons of distilled water on board.  I usually do this before my cruise.  Last check HAL was still only charging $2.95 a gallon & you could place multiple orders with a specific date as to when they should be delivered to your cabin.  

Ido travel with a UV air purifier, a mini mine but not a humidifier, that’s a really good idea. Low humidity is a real cause of virus spread. 

Just now, CruisingGrandmaW said:

I know this# is a tad overkill but I also bring some filter sheets to place in front of the air con units in the room

27 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

I know this# is a tad overkill but I also bring some filter sheets to place in front of the air con units in the room

I like that idea. Does it minimize the draft coming from the vent? That would be a double bonus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole&Pete said:

I love this!  Mind sharing what you buy?  (photo/name)

1 hour ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I like that idea. Does it minimize the draft coming from the vent? That would be a double bonus. 

I have been using magnets and heavy paper for years to deflect the draft.

Edited by kb4683