Dining reservation questions

Redtravel

We are traveling with friends. Dining reservations for specialty restaurants opens soon.  We gave our friends our booking # assuming that they can make reservations for all of us.  Am I correct? Or do we also have to make reservations on our end?  
Also, I read that the menu for Chefs Table changes often during a cruise.  I am sure that we would prefer some menus over others. Is there any way to see menus before we book for a specific night?  Or do we just book and find out later what will be served?  

There is a button on MVJ to invite guests for dining. You can input your friends booking number and name, and “sometimes” you will be able to book a table for all. I say “sometimes”, as I’ve not been able to do that for our upcoming Iceland cruise. The button is grayed out, Via a chat, I was told that pre cruise bookings are full for now. But they will have availability to book onboard. From our experience last year, we easily got Manfredi’s reservations by walking up to the host stand or reservation desk in guest services. We aren’t Chef’s Table folks, but you can wait to see the menus onboard before booking if the menu is important. 

We were able to book tables for 4 or 6 for both Manfredi's and Chef's Table by using the booking numbers in the invite others tab on MVJ.  We were unable to get a table for 2 at desired times but easily got a table for 6 at Manfredi's and one for 4 at CT.

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

In turn:

No

Yes

No

Yes

Our experience is:

Yes

No

No
Yes - and then when you see the menus once you board, change your reservations. Once upon a time, the menus were available to view on MVJ before your dining reservation window opened. IMO it is unfortunate that Viking no longer provides this information. Having said that, their approach seems to be working. I have heard no complaints since we’ve been on board 😊

Update…we were able to link our reservations using the invite feature. One person made dining reservations for all of us.  The reservation was posted on my Viking journey calendar.  
We haven’t a clue what menu will be served at the Chef’s Table.  If it isn’t to our liking, we may try rebooking.  

• Like 1