Lisbon and Barcelona

We will be debarking the Celebrity Infinity on October 30th in Lisbon, then get on the Celebrity Apex on November 5th in Barcelona. I am trying to figure out how we should split those 6 days. A half a day will  be taken up by time at the airport and flying between the cities, so we basically have 5 and a half days. We will be back in Barcelona next April for another TA, so we will have more time in Barcelona then. How many days should we allow for Lisbon?

11 hours ago, mskaufman said:

The number of days depends on your interests.  A couple of days in Lisbon are nice and also some time in Sintra

I have been doing some research and I think we will spend 3 days in Lisbon.

Day one when we get off the ship I think we will do Rick Steves walking tour through the downtown neighborhoods of Alfama, Baixa, Bairro Alto/Chiado.

Day 2 Sintra

Day 3 Trolley to Belem

We like to walk and explore and take our time. I think this schedule will allow this. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions.

Earlier this year we spent a few days pre-cruise in Lisbon and wished we had a few more time  to explore the area.  

We arrived in Lisbon from BOS, at about 4:30 am, a bit punchy, and got a cab to our hotel, the Corinthia.  Thankfully, we were able to check into our rooms that early, had breakfast then decided to take on the city. We got a taxi to the Jeronimos Monastery - nice self directed tour, about 20 minute wait to enter. Vasco De Gama is buried there. From there we walked by the huge water fountain for a few pictures and crossed the undergorund walk way to the Discovery Monument. We considered walking to the tower of Belem, but decided to hail a tuk-tuk to the historic district instead. Walking the hills, pace yourself.  Another tuk-tuk to a large plaza where we wandered through a few shops [finding public rest rooms are always a challenge in parts of Europe] and returned to our hotel which was near the national zoo and a museum and close to many restaurants. That evening we had dinner nearby and early sleep. The following day we [4 mature adults, and another couple] were picked up by our private guide at 7:45 for a day trip to Sintra. We were one of the first to enter Pena Palace and glad we were as a labor action was initiated shortly after we did our tour. Two members of our small group went with our driver/guide for another side tour while we explored the quaint village below the Palace. Interesting shops, DH loved the sardine store. We had a nice  light lunch  and met up with our driver guide for a trip to the western most point in continental Europe, Calores, and later a stop in Cascals where we got a gelato and walked to the seaside.  Finally returned to the hotel about 5:30, and hit the hotel lounge and relaxed before we went for dinner. Most restaurants do not open until 6: or 7: pm, so plan accordingly. We found a Brazilian steak house nearby, fun experience. The followiing day we transferred to our ship, but wished we had another day to explore more sites.

We've been to Barcelona a few times. On this trip we walked Las Ramblas to the plaza d Gaudi, being mindful of our belongings. That evening we headed to Saint Sadurni d'Anoia, an historic winery/vineyard and saw a flamenco show. The following morning, we walked the port area and thoroughly enjoyed the Museu Mariim d Barcelona. 

So much to see and never enough time to fit it all in, but each travel experience adds to our memories.

Darcy

We love Lisbon and would never be bored there.  Another day trip is the local train to Estoril and Caiscais - very scenic and easy to organise just buy tickets on the day at the station.  Trains are every half hour as far s I remember. We did it as a day trip from a Lisbon port call. 

The art museums are pretty good too, we went to the Modern Art one last time as the Guggenheim was closed on the day of the port call, but if you ve got several days you should find it open. 

13 hours ago, ddmeow said:

Day one when we get off the ship I think we will do Rick Steves walking tour through the downtown neighborhoods of Alfama, Baixa, Bairro Alto/Chiado.

Day 2 Sintra

Day 3 Trolley to Belem

We like to walk and explore and take our time. I think this schedule will allow this. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions.

When you get to Belam, be sure to walk to Pasteis de Belem and enjoy a few of their famous pastries with your favorite beverage.   I still dream about those sweet things.

Hank

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When you get to Belam, be sure to walk to Pasteis de Belem and enjoy a few of their famous pastries with your favorite beverage.   I still dream about those sweet things.

Hank

Thank you Hank, we will definitely do that! I used to own a bakery and I do love a good pastry 🙂

On 6/3/2023 at 9:11 AM, ddmeow said:

Day 2 Sintra

Day 3 Trolley to Belem

On day 1 do a tuk tuk tour to see the various neighborhoods.  There are a lot of hills and narrow streets in the downtown.