Taking Luggage Off Early - Not in Final Port

MKandA

Has anyone had experience with taking pieces of luggage off a NCL cruise prior to the final port disembarkation? We are traveling on a NCL Transatlantic from the US to Europe and want to take most of our luggage off in a port (where we will be living) prior to the final port but will be getting back on the ship to enjoy the rest of the journey. I’m wondering if anyone has done this with NCL and what was involved and if there are any recommendations. Thank you! 

Yes possible, but you will need to make prior arrangements with Ship personal. friends in January took off luggage in Melbourne Australia, gifts for family that lived there.  they were continuing the cruise back to New Zealand.  Restrictions were high, but eventually got it done.  Europe I think is less restrictive about what can come into country.  Hope this helps.  If just clothes, should be doable.i

• Thanks 1

I can't speak to what types of regulations you will face in Europe, but I have done something similar in Mexico. For 8 years, hubby and I owned a beach house in Mexico. Several times, when we found great cruise deals, we would load up an extra suitcase or 2 with things that were either difficult to find, or expensive to buy, in Mexico, and items that we just wanted to bring down there. 

During embarkation, we had one instance when the bags were going through the scanner, where we were questioned, and I said it was a gift for a friend that I was seeing along the way. This was a set of cooking pans. 

The biggest challenges came when we would bring the items off the ship, in the port stop where our home was located. We were stopped each time, items checked, bags checked, lots of questions. Usually, I said the items were gifts. The last time we did it, we were given a piece of paper with a copy of language from the cruise contract, that explicitly forbids using the cruise line to transport goods or cargo not for personal use. After that, we decided it wasn't worth the hassle and worry, and did not attempt it again.

I think you would be fine if it's not too much stuff, and if it's mostly clothing and other personal items, but you should prepare for ship staff and port authorities to give you some hassle. 

• Thanks 1

Southampton different line on B2B.

We leave a bag in the car and swap out used stuff  on changeover day for new stuff.

Getting off ship having started second leg ship security were not happy and we had to get permission to take the bag off.

Turns out they were concerned we would not come back as that has happened before.(security would probably not know it was a B2B).

You need to talk to NCL.

There may be issues at the port where you wish to carry off several suitcases and will need to go through immigration and customs for clearance.

I and C may not be available without prior arrangement at the port.

• Thanks 1

On Getaway TA from CPH to Miami back in Oct 2017 we stopped in Bermuda which is our home.

We had done some shopping in DK including several bottles of booze. 

Upon embarking in CPH we had to temporarily give up the booze, kitchen knives, stainless steel skewers, etc, but got them back as we entered into Bermuda to dock. 

There was some crew exchange so Immigration and Customs officials came on board to deal with the outgoing crew, and then deal with our customs declarations … we paid duties there and then left the ship with all the shopping stuff and dirty laundry. A friend met us off ship and took the stuff home. Then we rejoined the ship to continue to Miami. 

Be honest and declare what you’re bringing into the country and you’ll be okay. 

Another earlier TA (Jade the year before), the ship had to bypass Bermuda due to stormy weather and we had to buy an extra luggage on board and excess baggage fees when we flew home from Florida!!

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1