What is your favorite pudding ?

lenquixote66

Is that pudding as in any dessert?  Or a more specific type of dessert?

Reason for asking is that in British English pudding/sweet/dessert are pretty much interchangeable words.

But, for now, I'll stick with a dessert that has the word "pudding" in ita name. Favourite at this time of year would be Summer Pudding but, in the cooler months, it'd be Sussex Pond Pudding.

Although, in our date night restaurant meal this week, I finished with a lovely tangy Raspberry Bakewell Pudding.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 7:13 AM, shipgeeks said:

Bread pudding, on RC or HAL, with chocolate or vanilla sauce, depending on the bread.

How about a bread pudding made with fresh peaches soaked in peach brandy…with a creme anglais?  A well made tapioca pudding, grape nut pudding, lemon curd meringue all good.  

Black Pudding!

Or if you only mean sweet puds, then Sticky Toffee (NB: only the proper, dates-as-biggest-ingredient-by-weight version, although there's nothing wrong with a 'sponge plus sauce/jam/custard' whatsoever 9 times out of ten in the US/Canada the product is far too light to be a real STP... but you can find the good stuff pretty easily, a Texan bakery sells them internationally - if you see their seasonal two-pack in Costco around the end of the year, grab some! They freeze well too.)

A warm portion of STP, a dollop of crème fraîche, and a glass of Alvear Solera 1927 Pedro Ximenez would be my proverbial 'last meal' dessert; a seared scallop on top of a fried disc of black pudding with a glass of Neige 'ice cider' would be one of the savoury courses!

7 hours ago, Harters said:

Black pudding and STP are two of my region's iconic food items.

Yup - the best STP, and the most legitimate claim to be the original source of it IMO, is definitely Cumbria; never had a 'sponge with some dates' version anywhere around the Lakes or even random Carlisle cafes. Any chance you're familiar with Lucy's On A Plate in Ambleside? If they still have a 'Pudding Wall of (Sh/F)ame' these days my photo may still be on it after a particularly memorable meal back in the day, long before diabetes came a-calling, when our party of four ordered (and finished) all twelve puds on the menu after licking our dinner plates clean! We had always planned to return for the monthly Pudding Club (one appy followed by six desserts), but Canada insisted we move here not long after that dinner.

Black pud though, while most of my fellow Scots point to Stornoway as the best, I'm more a fan of Bury's style with the cubes of fat. But I've yet to meet any blood pudding, regardless of texture and added flavourings, that isn't worth the eating!!!

Yes, I know Lucy's, although it's a few years since we last ate there.  You'll know that the usual claim to fame for inventing STP was the late Francis Coulson, of the Sharrow Bay Hotel. The hotel closed a couple of years back but, before then, we stayed a couple of nights. They still made their STP to Coulson's recipe so I can claim to have eaten the original.

Bury is on the other side of the metro area to me but we go the market periodically to buy black puddings, pies and other baked goods . I'm a big fan of Chorley Cakes  (the shortcrust pastry version of the better known Eccles Cakes) and a stall on the market is the only reliable source I know.

8 hours ago, Harters said:

... You'll know that the usual claim to fame for inventing STP was the late Francis Coulson, of the Sharrow Bay Hotel. The hotel closed a couple of years back but, before then, we stayed a couple of nights. They still made their STP to Coulson's recipe so I can claim to have eaten the original.

Yup, although invented may be a bit extreme, like with just about every recipe that doesn't require a brand-new ingredient or bit of machinery there's obviously been more of an evolution. The most plausible historic background for the rich, date-heavy pud itself is the coast around Whitehaven (one of the biggest sugar and date importing ports back in the day, and with many notorious little nooks and crannies that made offloading some goods before official arrival and tax inspection dead easy, seems to be the root of why Cumbria has been so pudding-focused for the last two or three centuries...) and Coulson's partner confirmed a Canadian influence - although not a recipe, that claim appeared out of nowhere some years later in Lancashire! - on the toffee sauce via Canuck WWII aircrew bringing over maple syrup and pouring it on puds where locals would add cream or custard...

Personally whenever I make STP these days I just heat maple syrup, bourbon and cream rather than making a toffee sauce, in a terribly bastardized but gosh-durn delish Ameri-Can-umbrian concoction!

2 minutes ago, martincath said:

although invented may be a bit extreme

Probably should have been in quotes (although Coulson generally gets the credit here). I have read a suggestion that Coulson got the recipe (or the idea at least) from someone else.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...