Iceland Air Carryon bag restrictions

CarpeDiem2

Does anyone have previous experience with Iceland Air’s baggage size restrictions? The website states carryon dimensions of 21.6 x 15.7 x 7.8 inches. The problem is the depth dimension of 7.8 inches. I can’t find a  suitcase with such a small measurement, even after going to a luggage store. They were baffled, as well. All their international bags had larger depths than 7.8.” Does anyone know if Iceland Air is strict about this? Thanks. 

This was posted in December 2022 on Flyertalk by someone flying out of Dulles - IAD.

"And, as a final note to pass on, they state the 'Carry-On' bag should not exceed 7.8 inches in width. I measured their baggage checking cage at the airport, the actual dimensions are..."

Carry-On : 22" x 10"
Personal Item: 16" x 6"

BTW Almost every international flight on Icelandair includes one checked bag.

• Like 1

For what it is worth, we flew Icelandair Business class in 2021 and had no trouble with fitting our carry-on suitcases in the overhead. But, since DH is the one who puts the luggage up, after I have moved into the seat, I never get to see how he manages it -- and I don't know if it is the same size overhead space in Economy as in Business.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HUNKY said:

This was posted in December 2022 on Flyertalk by someone flying out of Dulles - IAD.

"And, as a final note to pass on, they state the 'Carry-On' bag should not exceed 7.8 inches in width. I measured their baggage checking cage at the airport, the actual dimensions are..."

Carry-On : 22" x 10"
Personal Item: 16" x 6"

BTW Almost every international flight on Icelandair includes one checked bag.

Thank you for the information. That one dimension seemed pretty unreasonable. 

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

For what it is worth, we flew Icelandair Business class in 2021 and had no trouble with fitting our carry-on suitcases in the overhead. But, since DH is the one who puts the luggage up, after I have moved into the seat, I never get to see how he manages it -- and I don't know if it is the same size overhead space in Economy as in Business.

Thanks, appreciate your input. We are flying their Business class, although I do realize it’s really like our domestic first class. I was disappointed to hear they don’t even have footrests to raise your legs. What was your experience with Icelanair’s Business class?  

Edited by CarpeDiem2

4 minutes ago, CarpeDiem2 said:

Thanks, appreciate your input. We are flying their Business class, although I do realize it’s really like our domestic first class. I was disappointed to hear they don’t even have footrests to raise your legs. What was your experience with Icelanair’s Business class?  

We’ve flown Saga Class on Icelandair a couple of times and will do so again next month. We enjoy the service a lot. But we compare it not to international business class on other airlines (which we never purchase) but to Icelandair’s economy class (which isn’t very good).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, duquephart said:

So ----- why do folks call it "Icelandair Business class" when there's no such thing?

You'll need to ask Islandic Air 🤣.  Actually, most US domestic flights (except some trans-continental) and many regional international flights sell "business class" tickets that are not lie-flat seats. 

9 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

You'll need to ask Islandic Air 🤣.  Actually, most US domestic flights (except some trans-continental) and many regional international flights sell "business class" tickets that are not lie-flat seats. 

Iceland Air does not use the term.

• Like 1

We've flown Icelandair's Saga class several times - never had a problem with our carry-ons, which are actually 7.8" deep (if you ignore the trolley handles). We have never been asked to measure them.

Re the cabin and seats - these two websites may help:

https://www.businessclass.com/airlines/reviews/icelandair-business-class 

We find them perfectly comfortable for the relatively short flights that a stop in Reykjavik demands. The lounge in Reykjavik is excellent, especially if you're partial to smoked salmon and beer! 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

Correct, Saga class is more equivalent to "Premium Economy."

39 minutes ago, duquephart said:

So ----- why do folks call it "Icelandair Business class" when there's no such thing?

32 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

22 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I don’t know when Iceland Air changed their terminology but I know in 2021 they referred to Saga Class as their business class and when you did a search on GoogleFlight it showed up along with the other business class fares. I seem to recall that folks with Viking Air had to buy Business Class to get into Saga whereas if they were on Delta, they got DeltaOne and lie flat seats. For that trip we booked independently, Delta Premium Economy outbound and Delta Extra Legroom seats for the return (because the return plane didn’t have Premium Economy). We lucked out and Delta change equipment on the outbound and we were bumped up to biz. 

@HUNKY has Viking Air (not Air+) for the cruise we are all doing in July that embarks in Reykjavik. They purchased Premium Economy tickets and are booked (and ticketed!) on Iceland Air in Saga class. I was worried that they might have to fly to Europe and backtrack to Iceland as when I looked last fall Delta nor United were offering nonstop flight from the US with PE. 

We just returned from Europe via Iceland and flew Saga home nonstop to Raleigh. When we were looking for the best way to get back after our Transatlantic we discovered that a roundtrip starting in Reykjavik was only slightly more expensive than the one way to Reykjavik we needed for July.  When I was searching I was surprised (pleasantly) that Iceland air doesn’t show up on GoogleFlights when you specify Business Class anymore but does when you sort for Premium Economy. 

I suspect Iceland Air (and their partners) got tired of complaints from people expecting business class seats when what they were getting were Premium Economy ones. 

We enjoyed our flight-great service, good food, lots of gin, and pillbox hats!  Our friends in economy were happy with their selection, they brought food aboard that they bought at the airport and were pleased with the overall value and their footrests (we were on a 737max-which also has the new bins so lots of room for carryon luggage)

IMG_6334.jpeg

IMG_6335.jpeg

IMG_6340.jpeg

IMG_6344.jpeg

IMG_6345.jpeg

IMG_6324.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, duquephart said:

After reading all the comments about Icelandair Saga Premium / Business class I pulled out my documents. Funny, but in one travel document from the airline it’s listed as Business. In another document it’s referred to as Saga Premium. I guess they don’t even know what to call it, but it sure sounds more like international Economy Plus. I’m looking forward to finding out though. 

Question: Do you need to take a bus to the terminal from the plane upon arrival in Reykjavik? That could be a wet and cold arrival plus managing a carryon. 

32 minutes ago, CarpeDiem2 said:

After reading all the comments about Icelandair Saga Premium / Business class I pulled out my documents. Funny, but in one travel document from the airline it’s listed as Business. In another document it’s referred to as Saga Premium. I guess they don’t even know what to call it, but it sure sounds more like international Economy Plus. I’m looking forward to finding out though. 

Saga Class along with Premium Economy are a couple of steps above Economy Plus (Econ+ is basically the same service and seats as in regular Economy but a little more legroom).  Premium Economy (e.g., on United or Delta) is in a separate section, has roomier, more comfortable seats, even more legroom than Econ+, the seats recline more, and better food service and alcohol options, and a few other upgrades (e.g., larger video screens). 

Edited by Moonlion
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

We just returned from Europe via Iceland and flew Saga home nonstop to Raleigh. When we were looking for the best way to get back after our Transatlantic we discovered that a roundtrip starting in Reykjavik was only slightly more expensive than the one way to Reykjavik we needed for July.  When I was searching I was surprised (pleasantly) that Iceland air doesn’t show up on GoogleFlights when you specify Business Class anymore but does when you sort for Premium Economy. 

I suspect Iceland Air (and their partners) got tired of complaints from people expecting business class seats when what they were getting were Premium Economy ones. 

We enjoyed our flight-great service, good food, lots of gin, and pillbox hats!  Our friends in economy were happy with their selection, they brought food aboard that they bought at the airport and were pleased with the overall value and their footrests (we were on a 737max-which also has the new bins so lots of room for carryon luggage)

This is really great information and I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience in Saga Class. I’m sure our flight will be enjoyable, as well. We are looking forward to this trip. Thanks again! 

Edited by CarpeDiem2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

Saga Class along with Premium Economy are a couple of steps above Economy Plus (Econ+ is basically the same service and seats as in regular Economy but a little more legroom).  Premium Economy (e.g., on United or Delta) is in a separate section, has roomier, more comfortable seats, even more legroom than Econ+, the seats recline more, and better food service and alcohol options, and a few other upgrades (e.g., larger video screens). 

You are right.  I used the wrong terminology. We flew Premium Economy on Lufthansa several years ago and it was exactly as you said. We also had foot rests that were quite comfortable. 
Nice experience all around. 

5 minutes ago, CarpeDiem2 said:

You are right.  I used the wrong terminology. We flew Premium Economy on Lufthansa several years ago and it was exactly as you said. We also had foot rests that were quite comfortable. 
Nice experience all around. 

The terminology is VERY confusing. It takes a lot of research to figure out what you are getting!

We flew Icelandair Saga ‘Business Class’ in 2019.  They were using older leased 757’s as I think the 737  max was still grounded.  Not impressed at all.  Similar to domestic first class but the seats were very worn, the food was poor and the flight attendants were surly.

We flew Icelandair economy extra legroom in March, 2023 on the 737 max.  We choose economy because the fares had increased significantly.   Economy in 2023 was more expensive than Saga class in 2019.  Better experience in terms of flight attendants, seat comfort and cleanliness of the plane.  Boarding process at KEF was disorganized and chaotic.  But we all made it on to the plane and safely home which is all that matters.  Picked up food in the KEF airport to eat on the flight home - much better.  

I had no problem carrying on with the typical size roll aboard suitcase.  Plenty of space in the overhead bins.  

These were land trips and we loved both visits.  Scenery is outstanding and the people are wonderful.  
Enjoy your trip.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Harley57 said:

We flew Icelandair Saga ‘Business Class’ in 2019.  They were using older leased 757’s as I think the 737  max was still grounded.  Not impressed at all.  Similar to domestic first class but the seats were very worn, the food was poor and the flight attendants were surly.

We flew Icelandair economy extra legroom in March, 2023 on the 737 max.  We choose economy because the fares had increased significantly.   Economy in 2023 was more expensive than Saga class in 2019.  Better experience in terms of flight attendants, seat comfort and cleanliness of the plane.  Boarding process at KEF was disorganized and chaotic.  But we all made it on to the plane and safely home which is all that matters.  Picked up food in the KEF airport to eat on the flight home - much better.  

I had no problem carrying on with the typical size roll aboard suitcase.  Plenty of space in the overhead bins.  

These were land trips and we loved both visits.  Scenery is outstanding and the people are wonderful.  
Enjoy your trip.  

I agree about the boarding process in KEF. It was a mess! This is a picture of the crowd standing on the steps to go from the way too small departure level up to the jetbridge. They opened a door at three lower level and announced everyone to start boarding.  Then when the first folks got to the upper level they made them stop and started yelling for saga class folks, some of whom like us were still downstairs.  Anyway, like you, once we were boarded it all improved. But other than the really nice Saga Lounge KEF leaves a lot to be desired. 

IMG_6321.jpeg

70602444003__63EBAA8C-74DA-425F-892E-0C30942626C4.jpeg

IMG_6307.jpeg

LOL.  First time I flew through KEF, the terminal was nothing more than a quonset hut.  We had to deplane in the middle of the night while they refueled.  60 years later, it is a distinct improvement over a windy tarmac in December.  🙃

• Like 2

Okay—my reminiscence! I remember the first time we flew Iceland Air (15 years ago?) when it first partnered with Alaska Air and we had enough miles to get a free ticket in their Premium Economy (or maybe Economy Plus).It was the first two rows in economy with the middle seat blocked out. Steerage class had to pay for their meals, but ours were free and slightly better; we also got a meal from Reykjavik to the Continent while steerage got none. Ah, those were the days!

After that, we did another trip in Economy when PE was eliminated and I swore never again. Now will only do Saga Class! 🫠

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1