Amtrak service from NYC to Montreal is back!

Destiny0315

Amtrak offers an alternative to flying or driving to get to the Montreal or Quebec City ports from the Northeast United States and here is a new review of the service which has re-started after a three year hiatus. It also provides another way for Canadians to get to the NYC area ports.

https://www.insider.com/amtrak-adirondack-train-from-new-york-city-to-montreal-2023-5

45 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Amtrak offers an alternative to flying or driving to get to the Montreal or Quebec City ports from the Northeast United States and here is a new review of the service which has re-started after a three year hiatus. It also provides another way for Canadians to get to the NYC area ports.

It's a fun way to get back and forth but the major issue is how long the border crossings can take-- sometimes hours and that's added onto an already long train ride. I've taken the Adirondack before and I'll take it again, but anyone who is using this to connect with a cruise needs to know at least one full day and overnight, possibly two need to be padded into your schedule to do so as the train schedule and actual arrival times can be way off of each other on any given day. 

I agree it is not something you do on a tight schedule and it only works with the day before and overnight figured in. If extra pre and post cruise time is available it seems like an economical way for families and friends to experience train travel who may not have before.  

I would not describe Amtrak's Adirondack train as an "alternative" means of travel between New York and Montréal: it has long been my primary means of travel between the two cities. It is a most pleasant journey, one that I think has been underrated by many who focus on the more-advertised western intercity trains. This is particularly true for me in winter, when it becomes a snowy wonderland (though no cruises at that time of year!).

What is important to know is that this is an all-day trip. Immigration and customs can be tedious (but never "hours"), and timekeeping is not perfect (don't fret about arriving an hour or so behind schedule). In Montréal, do not expect to make same-day connections between the Adirondack and a cruise vessel, and for any cruises originating or ending in Québec you will likely want to spend a night in Montréal. (From Québec, there is an early morning weekday-only train that will arrive in Montréal in time to connect, and there are Orléans Express buses both to and from Québec that will allow same day connections--be aware of the need to travel between train and bus stations in Montréal--but a same day connection means a very late arrival in Québec, or a very early departure from Québec.)

13 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

How did this statement add anything of value?

Good question.

Of course the original post just mentioned the service had returned - so no harm.  I wonder if they might restore the sleeping car service between New York and Montreal - about the ideal distance/time for an overnight trip.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Well I posted this article here because I have heard in person on a recent Canada/New England cruise and also read on Cruise Critic about typical flight problems and bus transportation issues that people have had getting to and from cruises in this region. So this offers another way of getting to the cruise that they may have not thought of, but yes train service has its own issues with reliability and service delays.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 2:39 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Amtrak from Manhattan to Canada was something I did in the 60’s and 70’s. At that time there were no problems.

Hopefully you rode on Amtrak more often in the 1970s than in the 1960s. Amtrak was created in 1971. Before then the Delaware and Hudson operated along what is now the Adirondack route.

1964-04-26D&H_systemPTT.pdf

4 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Hopefully you rode on Amtrak more often in the 1970s than in the 1960s. Amtrak was created in 1971. Before then the Delaware and Hudson operated along what is now the Adirondack route.

1964-04-26D&H_systemPTT.pdf 2.4 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks .My memory is a tad off at times.We took a Greyhound bud from Port Authorith to Montreal in 1969 and Amtrak from NY to Toronto in 1971 .

• Like 1