AARP Rewards eGift Cards

bhawks9

29 minutes ago, Ellipooh said:

I’m kinda surprised to see that this works, but I’ve got $1000 worth of Princess cards in my Target cart, at at cost of $950. 

I see the same 5% discount when using the Target chargecard which is the same discount for all purchases when using their card.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, missnd said:

As recently as last Friday (9/27) Newegg had Princess $500 gift cards for $460.  They don't offer them at that price all the time, and when or whether they will again is to be seen.

As far as I know, Newegg's promotions are always a one day promotion on items like these.  If I am mistaken, I'll be corrected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

Just purchased one that was suppose to be on sale for 8 more hours. It was $200. for $200.00😪

There was a promo code. I saw it on F. So I signed up. I also just googled and found it. Not the best way to do things IMHO. Both Dh and I set up logins but after I ordered the 5 gift cards my Dh couldn’t. Possibly because we have the same address. I wish AARP still had them. 😞

5 hours ago, Sudoku said:

We buy $100 Princess gift cards frequently at our grocery store. No Princess discount, BUT we earn gas points for gift card purchases and always save $1.00 a gallon on gas, pretty much anytime we need gas.  So an indirect savings. 

Works for you.  How about the other couple hundred thousand people accustomed to saving 8% on their cruise purchase?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Florida Paesano said:

We have enjoyed the Princess product but without the gift cards the cost to sail on Princess just went up 8%.  I'm not that brand loyal and am looking forward to trying another line that still does offer gift cards on the AARP Rewards site.  If the experience on the other line is comparable to Princess, we'll be sailing that line. Like some have mentioned, things can change at any time so who knows how long discounted gift cards will be available on the other lines.  It was financially beneficial on Princess while it lasted. Princess corporate makes its decision and the consumer makes theirs. 

The closest would be HAL, but if you like larger ships, you're out of luck since their largest ships are 99,500 tons.  There are currently 13 ships in the Princess fleet that are larger than the largest Class that HAL has.

The discounts on Celebrity and Royal are limited with the cards you get from AARP so that leaves you with Carnival and their 10% discount, which is a totally different experience than what you get on Princess.

5 hours ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

I believe this is a site that buys and sales from private parties. Not sure I would go there. There was another site, carddepot.com, but I am leery of a site that wants my picture and a copy of my driver's license or passport. Anyone else use this site?

I've used card cash in the past with no problem.  They have a 45 day 100% money back guarantee.  You just buy the card and then immediately flip it and use it towards your cruise.

2 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

I’m kinda surprised to see that this works, but I’ve got $1000 worth of Princess cards in my Target cart, at at cost of $950. 

Makes sense.  You saved 5% as you should.  But if I bought 1000 worth of cards on AARP, I would save the normal 8% (80) and an additional 1.5% (15) using my Capital One credit card.  5% is nice, not so much when you're accustomed to 9.5%.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Makes sense.  You saved 5% as you should.  But if I bought 1000 worth of cards on AARP, I would save the normal 8% (80) and an additional 1.5% (15) using my Capital One credit card.  5% is nice, not so much when you're accustomed to 9.5%.

We travel hack so prefer points to using the Target card but some may just be looking for s straight forward discount.

If AARP isn’t available in the future 5% is better than nothing. 
purchased some HAL today still  at 8% to cover gratuities on an upcoming cruise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

If AARP isn’t available in the future 5% is better than nothing. 

But the 5% is reduced to 3.5% since the Target credit card purchase would eliminate the 1.5% rebate from Capital One 

If the elimination of the cards is true, which I doubt since they have been out of stock in the past and have returned, then getting them from card cash would be a better option since the 1.5% savings would still be in play.

20 hours ago, Florida Paesano said:

It was financially beneficial on Princess while it lasted. Princess corporate makes its decision and the consumer makes theirs. 

I'm assuming if it were financially beneficial for Princess, you'd see these discounted cards still appearing on AARP.  Maybe again in the future when demand for cruising takes a dip?

I have no insider knowledge, but I have to imagine the gift cards were intended as gifts, not a backdoor way to discount an entire cruise....not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Works for you.  How about the other couple hundred thousand people accustomed to saving 8% on their cruise purchase?

No one is entitled to discounts. It was nice while it lasted but there was never an implied contract that these discounts would always exist.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

That image above does not look like the Newegg website page.

Any chance that it is another similar website?

Anybody know of other websites that this could be?

I was actually able to order them in time and received them and applied to my cruise balance.  I pulled the image off Facebook and pasted in this message board so it may be why it looks weird. 

I think maybe it looks different because you are on the App, and I am online, working on my computer?  Seems you have to find these by lookin in DEALS when they are offered.

Too bad it came and went so very fast!  Darn!

I did pull up the DEALS page on Newegg, and it looks more similar to that screenshot than the regular Newegg listings.  (which run across the screen horizontally, not 'square' listings.)  

But, the page still looks quite different than that screenshot.

The Deals have a little image that would say   Save: 8%

And for example, The ones that do require a promo code say   +10 off for Newegg+ members only with promo code. NEPLS40DXA55

I just got this response from an AARP Consumer Care Concierge 

"AARPConsumerCare 

Community Concierge

‎10-02-2024 07:02 PM

Hello @DanielC820725, the rumors are true. Princess Cruise Lines has decided to discontinue offering discounted gift cards through the AARP Rewards Program. We are excited to offer discounted gift cards for a variety of other popular cruise lines, including Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. To see our current AARP Rewards offers, please go to: https://help.aarp.org/s/article/rewards-carnival-gift-cards?cmp=SNO-LITHIUM---&socialid=14844602810. If you have any other questions, I'm here to help. - Daniela R. "

I took note that Daniela R. didn't mention HAL.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I just got this response from an AARP Consumer Care Concierge 

"AARPConsumerCare 

Community Concierge

‎10-02-2024 07:02 PM

Hello @DanielC820725, the rumors are true. Princess Cruise Lines has decided to discontinue offering discounted gift cards through the AARP Rewards Program. We are excited to offer discounted gift cards for a variety of other popular cruise lines, including Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. To see our current AARP Rewards offers, please go to: https://help.aarp.org/s/article/rewards-carnival-gift-cards?cmp=SNO-LITHIUM---&socialid=14844602810. If you have any other questions, I'm here to help. - Daniela R. "

I took note that Daniela R. didn't mention HAL.

Thank you and your link shown above does show HAL as a participant.

It also states Princess no longer offers discounted GC’s through AARP rewards.
Too bad.

Darn it!  good stuff always disappears.  I hope there is a change by Princess in the future.  Can we complain anywhere?  Joined AARP just to get those things, got a few and now it's over.  A few pages back I was trying so hard to get on the site to buy them (August) and had to go incognito just to get a few small ones!  Glad I bought some in May, and used them for an upcoming cruise.

But this new development is a bummer!