Kuranda?

janmcn

Adding on.  Since for us, Yorkeys Knob is a tender port, is it better to do this as an excursion through the cruise line?  Or would we be fine transporting ourselves to the train and skyway on our own.  Thanks.

30 minutes ago, jajsmom said:

Adding on.  Since for us, Yorkeys Knob is a tender port, is it better to do this as an excursion through the cruise line?  Or would we be fine transporting ourselves to the train and skyway on our own.  Thanks.

It probably is better do it on a ship excursion. I assume you are on Majestic Princess for February 4th at Yorkey's knob? If so you are there from 8am to 6pm. 

If you decide to do it yourself, there may be privately booked tours or you could catch a taxi from Yorkey's knob to the Skyrail terminal at Smithfield and do the Skyrail to Kuranda and catch the train back to Cairns. Cruise ships usually have shuttles from there back to Yorkey's Knob but you need to check all the details and do a bit of research on what is best for you.

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

It probably is better do it on a ship excursion. I assume you are on Majestic Princess for February 4th at Yorkey's knob? If so you are there from 8am to 6pm. 

If you decide to do it yourself, there may be privately booked tours or you could catch a taxi from Yorkey's knob to the Skyrail terminal at Smithfield and do the Skyrail to Kuranda and catch the train back to Cairns. Cruise ships usually have shuttles from there back to Yorkey's Knob but you need to check all the details and do a bit of research on what is best for you.

Thank you.  We're usually do it yourself people, but for these cruises, it seems better to use the cruise excursions for timing in ports.  For this port, we're on the Royal Princess in October, with port times also from 8-6.

4 hours ago, jajsmom said:

Thank you.  We're usually do it yourself people, but for these cruises, it seems better to use the cruise excursions for timing in ports.  For this port, we're on the Royal Princess in October, with port times also from 8-6.

Sorry, I should have checked who I was replying to.  I think you would be best to use the ship's excursions.

• Like 1

I loved Kuranda. I spent a week in Cairns around 5 or 6 years ago. In Cairns, in my opinion, there are 2 things to do - either the Great Barrier Reef or Kuranda. If you do Kuranda, choose an option that includes as many activities as possible. I particularly enjoyed the sky cable car, the local show/entertainment, the animal encounters, the butterfly house, and the buffet lunch where I tried kangaroo that was delicious. I wish I had had more time there.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2023 at 1:45 AM, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I loved Kuranda

I also liked Kuranda on a previous visit. We did the gondola up and the train coming back down.  It was a very enjoyable excursion. 

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Cairns in Oct. 2024 from 9A-9P on the Crown Princess.  In looking at timetables for the train and the gondola, it seems unlikely that we could make either for the morning trip up. Since it's too early yet to see any excursions posted on the Princess website, I'm wondering whether anyone knows if there's likely to be a ship's excursion to Kuranda which will have different boarding times.

You won't make it to the Cairns station for Kuranda, however I would not do a ships excursion.

There are a couple of ways there. Catch a taxi to the Cableway terminal in Smithfield which is approx 20 minutes or take a bus - 1 hour. The cablecar will take you to Kuranda and you could catch the train back.