Why do Oceania’s cookies have no taste?

Woodrowst

My wife and I are currently on the Nautica having embarked in Dubai and now entering the Red Sea on our way to Egypt.  We are having a wonderful cruise.  This is our 5th Oceania cruise and we have noticed on all of them that the cookies have no taste whatsoever.  This is clearly the exception since all of the other food is terrific.  So I thought I’d ask if anyone knows why Oceania bakes cookies that have no taste?  Please understand that this is not a complaint.  It would take a lot more than cardboard cookies to ruin our cruise.  I am simply looking for an explanation.

i also realize that the question can be read two ways.  The taste I am talking about involves ingredients.  It does not reference a cookie who wears shorts to dinner ☺️

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

I predict at least ten replies that Oceania's cookies are the best tasting at sea. LOL.  I am often disappointed by the cookies on cruise ships. Although the mud slide cookies on Royal are pretty good.  I will have to sample the O cookies the next time I cruise.  I can only assume that they cut back on the butter and sugar.  

• Haha 5

What do you find lacking in the flavour, from what you'd expect?

I am not the baker of the couple, but the one who is tells me that, at the most basic level, a cookie only has three ingredients - flour, sugar & butter. Flavour would be richness from the butter, sweetness from the sugar. So, as already suggested, a cutback on those ingredients or a substitution can really be the only reason for a lack of flavour

18 minutes ago, Harters said:

What do you find lacking in the flavour, from what you'd expect?

I am not the baker of the couple, but the one who is tells me that, at the most basic level, a cookie only has three ingredients - flour, sugar & butter. Flavour would be richness from the butter, sweetness from the sugar. So, as already suggested, a cutback on those ingredients or a substitution can really be the only reason for a lack of flavour

So I guess the question becomes why Oceania cuts back on the flavor ingredients in their cookies when they do not seem to do that with any of their other food items?

1 minute ago, Woodrowst said:

So I guess the question becomes why Oceania cuts back on the flavor ingredients in their cookies when they do not seem to do that with any of their other food items?

It may be that the pastry chef has no idea what good cookies are supposed to taste like?

• Thanks 1

According to my husband, who was a huge cookie lover Oceana cookies were not worth eating. After many sailings on Oceana and Crystal, we sailed on Viking and he found the “best cookies at sea”

. He was not the only one we heard raving about the cookies.on Viking. The line has a lot to say for it besides the cookies. 

After complaining several years ago, we were told that the base ingredients for all cookies are corporate determined-- bought as a mix, same as the pizza crust in Terrace.  Some things the chef on board has no control.  

13 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

According to my husband, who was a huge cookie lover Oceana cookies were not worth eating. After many sailings on Oceana and Crystal, we sailed on Viking and he found the “best cookies at sea”

. He was not the only one we heard raving about the cookies.on Viking. The line has a lot to say for it besides the cookies. 

Viking cookies are far superior, yes.  

5 minutes ago, BarbaraM said:

After complaining several years ago, we were told that the base ingredients for all cookies are corporate determined-- bought as a mix, same as the pizza crust in Terrace.  Some things the chef on board has no control.  

I wish they would transfer the money from the endless catalog mailings into an improved cookie mix!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

I have to agree with the OP, I have always thought that Oceania could do much, much, better in the cookie department.  Certainly a far cry from what is available at Seabourn Square or the Arts Cafe on Silversea.  I am betting that BarbaraM is correct as to why this is so.  But, our complaints over the years have fallen on deaf ears.  There are days when I would have been happy just to find a bag of Oreos on the counter.

Edited by Hanoverian
  • Like 3

The cookies seem to be low in sugar and butter. They are not chewy. I do not like very sweet desserts. I do like butter. 

In general, Oceania's desserts seem to me to have less sugar than found in most bakeries and restaurants whether on land or sea. I like that, personally, but I know people who like very sweet desserts. 

• Like 1

Maybe  put  a comment in the mid cruise survey  or ask to speak  to the Head Chef

DH complained about the scones one year as they had changed the recipe  & the new version was not good

The Exec Chef  called then we met with him to discuss  the problem

Many of the cookies on Oceania are sugar-free.  They have no flavor.  They are usually labeled as sugar-free, but not always.  There are delicious cookies available onboard in Baristas.  The chocolate chip are amazing!  I was recently on Sirena and Regatta and both had excellent cookies in Baristas.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Twiga said:

Many of the cookies on Oceania are sugar-free.  They have no flavor.  They are usually labeled as sugar-free, but not always.  There are delicious cookies available onboard in Baristas.  The chocolate chip are amazing!  I was recently on Sirena and Regatta and both had excellent cookies in Baristas.

This is important information!!!

1 hour ago, Hanoverian said:

I have to agree with the OP, I have always thought that Oceania could do much, much, better in the cookie department.  Certainly a far cry from what is available at Seabourn Square or the Arts Cafe on Silversea.  I am betting that BarbaraM is correct as to why this is so.  But, our complaints over the years have fallen on deaf ears.  There are days when I would have been happy just to find a bag of Oreos on the counter.

As someone who doesn't drink alcohol, cookies and ice cream are important to me.  I may have to upgrade to Seabourne or Silversea to get better cookies.

• Like 1

I too do not like the cookies. On our recent Regatta the cookies were "sugar free", bland and too soft for me. I thought Barista's would be better but I was disappointed in them too. Years ago someone addressed the cookie issue to the Food/Bev manager who said he would pass it on to the cookie elves but I guess nothing has changed.

• Haha 2

The cookies are less sweet, NOT UP TO AMERICAN TASTEBUDS because we consume and make things with much more sugar than Europeans and others.  Actually I find it the best way to “Diet” on a cruise is to not waste a craving for decadence on an unsweetened cookie. I call it my WW diet trick 🤪😇
I did find a chocolate chunk chip cookie on Vista that was “adequate” to eat along with a cup of Humphrey Slocumb ice cream.  Ah the trade offs 👍 Besides my Dr. Said to cut back on the sugars so I will give up my cookies for a really delicious desert at dinner. 
Just enjoy, 

Mauibabes 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Twiga said:

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

This is important information!!!

Sorry to disappoint, but the cookies in Baristas on our cruise are no different and are as tasteless as anywhere else as the ship.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Fat and sugar, while related, are not essentially "taste", in our normal strong sense as opposed to things like cinnamon, chocolate, vanilla, raisins, pumpkin, ginger, macadamia & other nuts, etc. When I think sugar or spice, spice "tastes". But to each their own. 

Having eaten cookies on both Riviera (12/2021) and Sirena (11/2022) I thought they "tasted" quite nice, depending upon the type cookie I ate (e.g., I don't eat sugar cookies).

2 hours ago, BarbaraM said:

That explains it.

Dear Oceania,

As a Certified Grandmother and baker of delicious cookies (a prerequisite of being a CG, of course!), I am happy to help you up your cookie game. My terms are negotiable (OBC, upgrades, spa treatments, etc)
☎️ me

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

This thread is the perfect illustration of how subjective so many things are...  I've taken two Viking Ocean cruises, and I thought they had the worst cookies I've ever had on a cruise ship. (And NO variety.)  So funny!  (I'm so glad someone likes them, though!)

I'll be sailing on Oceania for the first time on July 17th.  I've now lowered my cookie expectations... but maybe your husband and I have opposite taste in cookies, so there might be hope.  🍪

• Like 1

I think  the cookie situation can be hit or miss

some cruises the cookies in Barristas  were good  other times  not so much

I usually can find other things to load up my calories on

😄

39 minutes ago, halfapair said:

Dear Oceania,

As a Certified Grandmother and baker of delicious cookies (a prerequisite of being a CG, of course!), I am happy to help you up your cookie game. My terms are negotiable (OBC, upgrades, spa treatments, etc)
☎️ me

The interview will ask if you put raisins in oatmeal cookies, the job is dependent on you answering NO.  😝

• Haha 5