Overwater Bungalow Stay

Flyer6259

We are on taking our first cruise with Paul Gauguin Cruises on the 11-night Cook Islands & Society Islands itinerary. We are considering staying in an overwater bungalow for one night at a resort in either Bora Bora or Moorea when the ship overnights there. Unfortunately, we can't do the overwater bungalow stay before or after our cruise. Do you have any recommendations on which night would be better on our itinerary for something like this, and any resorts you'd suggest? I've seen the Sofitel and Hilton suggested for Moorea, but I'm not sure about which resorts might be best in Bora Bora. Thanks for your help!

31 minutes ago, Flyer6259 said:

We are on taking our first cruise with Paul Gauguin Cruises on the 11-night Cook Islands & Society Islands itinerary. We are considering staying in an overwater bungalow for one night at a resort in either Bora Bora or Moorea when the ship overnights there. Unfortunately, we can't do the overwater bungalow stay before or after our cruise. Do you have any recommendations on which night would be better on our itinerary for something like this, and any resorts you'd suggest? I've seen the Sofitel and Hilton suggested for Moorea, but I'm not sure about which resorts might be best in Bora Bora. Thanks for your help!

The easiest on Bora Bora would be the Moana or the Conrad Hilton. The Moana you would need to take a taxi ... likely about $25 each way. The Conrad shuttle picks up right at the tender drop off location.

Thanks for this information.  Your insights on these boards are very helpful and greatly appreciated! We're not sure whether staying overnight in an overwater bungalow during the cruise is wise or worth it. It's our first Paul Gauguin cruise and we want to make the most of the experience. Moorea and Bora Bora look fantastic.

• Like 1

It’s your trip, but for me it’s crazy to spend another 1k just for an OWB for one night while on the PG  ….it would be hard for me to tear myself away from the ship for a night to stay in a hotel (???) ….both destinations on the cruise have special event nights also…

Wise or worth it are subjective.  IMHO it is nowhere near worth it.  You are already paying at least $500 per person per night to be on the ship.  To pay another 1k - 2k per person for the OWB is mind boggling.  Is there any way you can get to Tahiti a day or two early or stay a day or two after???  You can easily then go to Moorea for the OWB experience.

If your heart is set on an OWB I would do it on your last day on Moorea.  Leave the ship (check out-they allow for this) after breakfast, head to the Hilton (you can make the reservation independently if it saves some $$), enjoy their beach and pool and check in to your room by 3pm.  Enjoy the OWB and the next day enjoy the morning and hopefully the afternoon and take the ferry back to Papeete for your flight home (presuming you don't have an early morning flight.

I'm going to join the chorus of those whose personal opinion is that it's not worth it to do it. I know it's hard when you finally get to a bucket-list destination and want to try to experience as much of it as possible - but we always have to narrow down our list to what we CAN do, from the list of what we WISH we can do.

I've done OWBs in FP, and yes they are wonderful - but not for just one night. The treat was being able to stay at least a couple of days, either before the cruise or after. If it's just for one night, you don't really get to experience it: check-in isn't until the afternoon, check-out is in the morning, so you'll be sleeping for most of your time there.

As others have pointed out, there's always something wonderful going on on the ship in the evenings. On the evening of the Bora Bora overnight there's the Tahiti show, which is not to be missed. And on the evening of the Moorea overnight there's a Polynesian Party, and on the last night in Moorea there's a Folkloric Dance Troupe. I personally don't want to miss any of that.

I hope you are able to come back at some point and spend a few days in an OWB! It's definitely a different kind of vacation than a PG cruise. If you decide to do this, I'm sure it will be a lovely and relaxing time, so it's a win-win either way. 😀

Good luck with your decision, and your planning!

We are leaving the ship on the last day in Moorea to the Hilton for two nights. The last night the ship just heads back to Papeete and docks overnight so figured that would be a good day to debark early. My TA made a note on the reservation that we'd be debarking early and we will confirm again on the ship. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have done OWB twice and yes they are a wonderful experience but so is the ship and their marina.

To pay that price to leave not check in to hotel room till 2 or 3 to pack up next day seems useless.

It is up to you just my experience.

Lost of snorkeling on your cruise and if you have a balcony you can watch the beauty outside.