Viking Vela

photopro2

38 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I am hoping that when Vela comes out, people will share some pictures and descriptions of the new layout (dining rooms, infinity pool, aft of the ship) as well as the room interiors!

I'm willing to bet you won't see any difference at all except that the cabins will be a bit roomier. Looking at the increases in square footage in each class - 18 (V&DV), 22 (PV), 27 (PS), 51 (ES) - this works out to an increase of about 6.6% (less for the larger ES cabins). So how much can you do with that? Just make the cabins roomier - more space between the bed and the wall? A few more inches between the toilet and the vanity? I don't know. Just tossing out some ideas of what one might do with 20 sq.ft.

5 hours ago, CharTrav said:

I'm willing to bet you won't see any difference at all except that the cabins will be a bit roomier. Looking at the increases in square footage in each class - 18 (V&DV), 22 (PV), 27 (PS), 51 (ES) - this works out to an increase of about 6.6% (less for the larger ES cabins). So how much can you do with that? Just make the cabins roomier - more space between the bed and the wall? A few more inches between the toilet and the vanity? I don't know. Just tossing out some ideas of what one might do with 20 sq.ft.

I expect the cabins will be the same width but deeper corridor to slider. I don't think they can add width to cabins and add as many cabins as they are planning.

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I expect the cabins will be the same width but deeper corridor to slider. I don't think they can add width to cabins and add as many cabins as they are planning.

In the V and DV I think they will add more space between the bed and closet, similar to the Nordic rooms on the Expedition ships. 

On 8/20/2024 at 10:51 PM, AZ_Tim said:

It looks like the Vela does not have the "duck tail" at the stern like the other Viking ships.

Good spot @AZ_Tim

That makes me wonder if the published length of the existing ships (745 feet) includes that ducktail platform. Assuming that it does it would make the superstructure on the current ships about 730 feet, with around 15 feet of ducktail.

We know that the new ships are 784 feet in length but if, as it appears, the superstructure now runs all the way back that would give an extra 15 feet internal space front to rear over the 54 feet of additional length we were expecting.

If that is right, dropping the ducktail design alone makes room for two additional cabins on each passenger deck, as well as adding space to the pubic areas.

Not world shattering news I know, but the sort of thing that I do find interesting 😁   

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2024 at 5:45 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

In the V and DV I think they will add more space between the bed and closet, similar to the Nordic rooms on the Expedition ships. 

My guess is that the current V & DV Cabins are 9 feet wide by 30 feet long for a total of 270 square feet. If my guess is correct, the extra 18 square feet will result in 9x32 cabin thus a little more space between the bed and closet and/or a two-seater sofa instead of the two armchairs… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torquato said:

My guess is that the current V & DV Cabins are 9 feet wide by 30 feet long for a total of 270 square feet. If my guess is correct, the extra 18 square feet will result in 9x32 cabin thus a little more space between the bed and closet and/or a two-seater sofa instead of the two armchairs… 

Please! No sofa!

We always rearrange the cabin to get the coffee table out of the middle of the floor. If they stick a sofa in the cabin where is the coffee table going to go to get it out of the middle of the floor? I'm very good at walking into it, besides which getting it out of the middle of the floor makes the cabin feel bigger.

I think you are right about the new cabin measurements. All cabins, except ES and maybe OS,  will have an additional two feet of depth (because if they did it any other way, the corridor would have to zig-zag). Let's hope that the additional square footage is interior space and not simply a bigger balcony.

Side-by-side deck plans (ignore the comparative lengths of the ships as each image will be shrunk to fit the same width:

Star Class

image.thumb.png.8708e603a0354665aa7ba21ea3aaa91c.png

Vela Class

image.thumb.png.f61e6b5750028fae7958981d7e349329.png

6 DV cabins and 2 PS cabins have been added to Deck 4. Note that the lifts are in the same positions on each chart. No cabins have been added forward of the aft staircase and distance between the elevator shifts in unchanged. The extra length has all been added aft of the aft stairwell.

• Like 2

LOL. We  also arrange the cabin to get the coffee table out of the way. First thing we do when we get in the cabin. Then when the steward shows up we as him/her to remove the coffee maker and we’re ready to sail 🛳️ 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2024 at 2:14 PM, CCWineLover said:

Interesting!  I wonder why they decided on that - perhaps to decrease the length?  I thought it helped in stability and maneuverability

Here are a few guesses as to why the duck tail is gone…

1- ship may be too long for some ports. One of the advantages of Viking ship size is that it can call on ports that the larger ships can’t

2- ship may not fit in some canal locks.

3- ship may not be able to navigate in some areas. For example, parts of the Baltic Sea, allow only ships shorter than 240  meters (787 ft). Search “Baltimax” for details.

4- it may have something to do with the Vela having Azipods. ( Wild guess)

5- I’m not a fan. However, out of the 26 cruises we’ve taken 22 have been on ships with duck tails. 8 on Viking and 14 on Princess Royal class ships. Coincidentally, to the best of my knowledge, all these ships were built by Fincatieri. 

6- TBD.

3 hours ago, Torquato said:

LOL. We  also arrange the cabin to get the coffee table out of the way. First thing we do when we get in the cabin. Then when the steward shows up we as him/her to remove the coffee maker and we’re ready to sail 🛳️ 

We add one more chore to the list. We need to have the head of the bed raised for medical reasons (vertigo and GERD) -- and each time we have to explain to the steward the best way to accomplish the task. Took us a few sailings to figure out the best way to do it -- fold a mattress pad the long way twice and place it under the mattress. Other methods made it too high.

Next cruise, I've decided that I am e-mailing housekeeping in advance so that the stewards can do what needs to be done before they make up the bed for the new occupants.

• Like 1

I posted some information about the barrier here: #801 ,

There are also pictures of a Star class ship going through the barrier, if you scroll down.

Vela class is 101 feet on the beam (not quite 31m), while the channel spans measures 61m wide. Can't find the draft of the ship -- and that may be the deciding factor on whether Vela class ships can make it to Greenwich.

image.thumb.jpeg.bef7feef5d9c14050fe8187

25 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I posted some information about the barrier here: #801 ,

There are also pictures of a Star class ship going through the barrier, if you scroll down.

Vela class is 101 feet on the beam (not quite 31m), while the channel spans measures 61m wide. Can't find the draft of the ship -- and that may be the deciding factor on whether Vela class ships can make it to Greenwich.

image.thumb.jpeg.bef7feef5d9c14050fe8187

I was on the Venus last Summer and we went thru the Thames barrier quite easily. In fact on our way in we were towed in..backwards during the night.  I'll have to go check my pictures for our passage out which was during the day. I took loads of shots as we approached and went thru the Thames barrier. Don't remember if we were towed. I don't think so cuz we weren't going backwards. It was high tide too. 

Was looking at your post and the one by @CCWineLover and wondered if we were on the same cruise. But don't think so. 

Edited by CharTrav

The Star class ships have no trouble going through the barriers, as long as the water is high enough and the wind permits. (At least one cruise scheduled for Greenwich this summer was diverted to Tilbury because of the weather. There were greeters and busses waiting in Greenwich for those who might not have gotten the heads up).   Vela class ships are a different design, we know they are longer and wider and they may need deeper water, so we don't know if they will be able to go through the barriers.

You are right.  We weren't on the same cruise. They had already been and we were just packing to leave.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

You are right.  We weren't on the same cruise. They had already been and we were just packing to leave.

I know we weren't. My bad. Was referring to @CCWineLover who wrote they were sailing from Greenwich on July 22. That's when we were there last year in between British Isles and Midnight Sun but we sailed out on the 23rd. July 22 was the day I amused myself taking pix of the luggage transfer operations. 😁

Edited by CharTrav