Viking Vela

photopro2

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I have been giving this some thought and wonder where the extra 34 cabins will go.  Unless they build a whole new deck space on the upper decks how could you add cabins to the existing layout without creating some inside cabins?  And adding cabins to upper decks would reduce the Sport Deck?  Cabins that high also affect stability which requires more hull space.  Just wondering how this will be done and still keep the feel of the "old" ships.

Jim - my thoughts is they will just add a 39' section in the aft body. If it is in the aft body, the inside spaces will most likely be the engineering uptakes, as they will require some substantial vents for the hydrogen tanks.

2 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Wow Andy!!!! Thanks for that, a little better than my "back-of-the-napkin" estimate to say the least! I'm pleased that my schoolboy maths got to a figure that was somewhere in the ballpark, and that you've confirmed that there is likely to be more space per-passenger rather than less 😁

I believe I am correct in saying that there will be some increase in the floor area of all the public spaces, simply as a function of the increased beam and we still don't know exactly where the internal walls will be positioned within the volumes that you calculated.

The improvement in pax/space ratio suggests to me that Viking have "done the right thing" by not squeezing in the absolute maximum number of additional cabins that the increase in overall tonnage (if that is the right term?) would allow. Might it not be reasonable to assuming that, by repositioning internal walls, all of the public spaces have also been enlarged in proportion to the number of additional passengers?

Affirmative, each athwartship space will be slightly bigger due to the increased beam of 7', so they can fit a few more tables in Explorers, Theatre, Torshavn, Living Room and possibly even the pools might be wider.

The heavier weight of enlarged pools can be offset by the wider beam.

Will definitely be very interesting to see where they incorporate the extra beam in each space. 

58 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, each athwartship space will be slightly bigger due to the increased beam of 7', so they can fit a few more tables in Explorers, Theatre, Torshavn, Living Room and possibly even the pools might be wider.

The heavier weight of enlarged pools can be offset by the wider beam.

Will definitely be very interesting to see where they incorporate the extra beam in each space. 

Apologies for not realizing that your back of the envelope estimates were focused on the non-pax parts of the ship. Ooops!!🙄

6 hours ago, CharTrav said:

My apology was meant for @photopro2. Was in a hurry to respond.

No need for apology, I was looking at the ships as a whole, including cabins. You were quite right to point out that Viking have announced the new sizes for those. That is one of the few things we are not guesstimating 🙂  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2023 at 10:16 AM, Jim Avery said:

I have been giving this some thought and wonder where the extra 34 cabins will go.  Unless they build a whole new deck space on the upper decks how could you add cabins to the existing layout without creating some inside cabins?  And adding cabins to upper decks would reduce the Sport Deck?  Cabins that high also affect stability which requires more hull space.  Just wondering how this will be done and still keep the feel of the "old" ships.

They are eliminating a bunch of PV cabins and making them DV.  Our go to cabins in PV….5089/91 no longer exist.  They’ve snagged a few more from the other side of the ship too on deck 5.  We just booked a cruise on the Vela and noticed this.  
By my count, there are about 10 fewer PV cabins in the Vela than the Jupiter.  If each room is 3’ wider, then there is 30’.  I don’t see any other additional changes though.

Edited by Mich3554
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

They are eliminating a bunch of PV cabins and making them DV.  Our go to cabins in PV….5089/91 no longer exist.  They’ve snagged a few more from the other side of the ship too on deck 5.  We just booked a cruise on the Vela and noticed this.  
By my count, there are about 10 fewer PV cabins in the Vela than the Jupiter.  If each room is 3’ wider, then there is 30’.  I don’t see any other additional changes though.

According to the article I read, Vela will be 10 meters longer so that 30 feet plus the 30 feet you identified means if the staterooms are fifteen feet wide (I think they may be slightly narrower) would mean 8 additional cabins per deck so 32 additional staterooms or 64 additional passengers. 930+64=994.  So somewhere they are adding one more stateroom since the announced capacity is 998.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/06/next-viking-cruises-newbuild-to-carry-name-viking-vela/

• Like 1

Here's my counts of the Original vs Vela class cabins:

Original Class        
Length 745' Beam 94'        
930 Passengers        
Cabin  Qty    Sqft
OS         1    1448
ES1       4    757–1,163
ES2       6    757–1,163
ES3       4    757–1,163
PS1     16    405
PS2       8    405
PS3       8    405
PV1     64    338
PV2     24    338
PV3     16    338
DV1     12    270
DV2     96    270
DV3     12    270
DV4     74    270
DV5     28    270
DV6     50    270
V1        22    270
V2        20    270
Total   465    

Vela Class - increased # cabins in Bold; decreased Red        
Length = 784'  Beam 101'        
998 Passengers        
Cabin Qty   Sqft
OS       1    1488
ES1    10    808-1215
ES2      4    808-1215
ES3      2    808-1215
PS1    16    432
PS2      8    432
PS3    16    432
PV1    56    360
PV2    24    360
PV3    16    360
DV1      8    288
DV2  104    288
DV3    28    288
DV4    74    288
DV5    34    288
DV6    50    288
V1       22    288
V2       26    288
Total  499    

Overall an increase of ESx by 2, increase of PSx by 8, decrease PVx by 8, increase of DVx by 26, and increase of Vx by 6. 

Definitely those of us who like PVx are most impacted with fewer choices overall. 

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

So they not only increased the number, but the size of all cabins.  
I wonder what this does to the door rooms vs the slider rooms?

Guess the first group of CC members sailing on her will have to crowd source the list of sliders! 
With the increased beam of Vela that seems to have probably added a couple of feet to the length of each cabin, but I haven’t done the exact math! It’ll be fun to see how efficiently those few square feet are utilized in each cabin type.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 6:42 AM, Mich3554 said:

They are eliminating a bunch of PV cabins and making them DV.

Well spotted!

On 8/12/2023 at 3:50 PM, BluebonnetTexan said:

Here's my counts of the Original vs Vela class cabins:

Thanks for taking the trouble to do that - the stats are very interesting and I will see if I can green anything from them. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all -- we're booked on the January 10, 2025 In Search of the Northern Lights trip on the Vela.    Does anyone have an idea when Cruise Critic will open up a new Viking Vela page so that we can do a Roll Call.    We're interested in clothing suggestions (we live  in a warmer climate), tour ideas, etc.   This will be our first Viking Ocean cruise so I've been following a number of the Roll Calls (including other ISNL cruises) just to get an idea of what to expect.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lazonia said:

Hi all -- we're booked on the January 10, 2025 In Search of the Northern Lights trip on the Vela.    Does anyone have an idea when Cruise Critic will open up a new Viking Vela page so that we can do a Roll Call.    We're interested in clothing suggestions (we live  in a warmer climate), tour ideas, etc.   This will be our first Viking Ocean cruise so I've been following a number of the Roll Calls (including other ISNL cruises) just to get an idea of what to expect.  

@Host Jazzbeau can you assist or advise?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

As a matter of interest, why is it called Viking Vela?  Is Vela a star or other astronomical body?  

From Googling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vela_(constellation) 

Vela
Constellation
Vela
Abbreviation Vel
Genitive Velorum
Pronunciation /ˈvlə/,
genitive /vɪˈlrəm/
Symbolism the Sails
Right ascension 9h
Declination −50°
Quadrant SQ2
Area 500 sq. deg. (32nd)
Main stars 5
Bayer/Flamsteed
stars
Stars with planets 7
Stars brighter than 3.00m 5
Stars within 10.00 pc (32.62 ly) 3
Brightest star γ Vel (1.75m)
Messier objects 0
Meteor showers Delta Velids
Gamma Velids
Puppid-velids
Bordering
constellations
Antlia
Pyxis
Puppis
Carina
Centaurus
Visible at latitudes between +30° and −90°.
Best visible at 21:00 (9 p.m.) during the month of March.

Vela is a constellation in the southern sky, which contains the Vela Supercluster. Its name is Latin for the sails of a ship, and it was originally part of a larger constellation, the ship Argo Navis, which was later divided into three parts, the others being Carina and Puppis. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

From Googling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vela_(constellation) 

Vela
Constellation
Vela
Abbreviation Vel
Genitive Velorum
Pronunciation /ˈvlə/,
genitive /vɪˈlrəm/
Symbolism the Sails
Right ascension 9h
Declination −50°
Quadrant SQ2
Area 500 sq. deg. (32nd)
Main stars 5
Bayer/Flamsteed
stars
Stars with planets 7
Stars brighter than 3.00m 5
Stars within 10.00 pc (32.62 ly) 3
Brightest star γ Vel (1.75m)
Messier objects 0
Meteor showers Delta Velids
Gamma Velids
Puppid-velids
Bordering
constellations
Antlia
Pyxis
Puppis
Carina
Centaurus
Visible at latitudes between +30° and −90°.
Best visible at 21:00 (9 p.m.) during the month of March.

Vela is a constellation in the southern sky, which contains the Vela Supercluster. Its name is Latin for the sails of a ship, and it was originally part of a larger constellation, the ship Argo Navis, which was later divided into three parts, the others being Carina and Puppis. 

Ohhh, can't wait to sail on the Viking Puppis!

and I'm sure Karine is looking forward to christening her namesake ship😂

• Haha 1