Albumen allergy on the Marina

keydoc999

Have your TA contact Oceania to inform them of your allergy.  I have a fish allergy and i am contacted by the head of food services when we embark. One warning, if you eat at Buffet, you need to ask each server if egg is in the ingredients.  Anywhere you are served they will be aware.

Fern

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Buffet should post names of items and list ingredients.  Many people have allergies or just don’t like items. I hate nuts and bananas.  I keep asking the servers at the buffet if items have nuts.  Today at lunch, I asked the server what kind of cookies were being served.  She responded, “Peanut butter, pecan something, and don’t know.”  Took don’t know.  It had nuts!  Also she told me that tart had no nuts, only raisins and apples. Took it. No raisins and nuts again!  

I have a nut allergy, and a few others, and on previous cruises I've had the menu delivered to my stateroom the night before so that I can select the dishes I want.  It's not ideal but better to be safe.  Sometimes things can be made without the problematic ingredients, other times I can choose something else.  I've never gone hungry.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Buffet should post names of items and list ingredients.  Many people have allergies or just don’t like items. I hate nuts and bananas.  I keep asking the servers at the buffet if items have nuts.  Today at lunch, I asked the server what kind of cookies were being served.  She responded, “Peanut butter, pecan something, and don’t know.”  Took don’t know.  It had nuts!  Also she told me that tart had no nuts, only raisins and apples. Took it. No raisins and nuts again!  

You should ask to  speak to the Chef 

The server are not always informed as to what the cooks put in the food

43 minutes ago, SellaVee said:

I have a nut allergy, and a few others, and on previous cruises I've had the menu delivered to my stateroom the night before so that I can select the dishes I want.  It's not ideal but better to be safe. 

That is what I have done in the past

The Terrace  is the  wild card  because  you have to ask  what is in the  food

My problem is not life threatening   so  I try just to make safer choices

Yes in Terrace if you ask a server they should summon the chef if the server doesn't know for certain.

Many (not all) chefs can/will sometimes make you a compliant dish if the buffet version is not.

Also if you have pre-ordered from the GDR it can usually be delivered to you in Terrace.

O does not label the ingredients in the buffet so it is an extra step - but most cruises that means you get to know the chef =)

Disclosure - my food restriction is (strict, medical) gluten