Puppies in the Piazza in Skagway

WorkforBeerGuy

2 hours ago, WorkforBeerGuy said:

Journey View finally displayed events for our cruise, which is 7 weeks away.  7 to 7:45 pm.

What is Journey View?  And how does it know what will happen in 7 weeks?  Don't they change things up each cruise?

1 minute ago, Nightowl11 said:

What is Journey View?  And how does it know what will happen in 7 weeks?  Don't they change things up each cruise?

JourneyView shows all the events on the ship on the Apple/Android app, even before cruise. And yes, JourneyView is unreliable until about 1 week before the cruise. lol.

4 hours ago, WorkforBeerGuy said:

For anyone on a current or recent Voyage of the Glacier cruise, what time are the Sled Dog Puppies shown in the Piazza?  Trying to plan dinner time, and a puppy fix comes first.

Just be warned, Puppies in the Piazza will be absolutely packed. 

• Like 1

We were on the Discovery 2 weeks ago.  The puppies were there around 3:00 PM.  The gentleman brought 2 of his puppies onboard.  They were so adorable.  One went sound asleep.  The other wanted to run.  Yes it was packed.  At least they had lines for people that wanted to pet them and they would let a couple at a time.  Was glad they were so thoughtful to the puppies well being.

• Like 1

I recall reading a recent review about the Puppies in the Piazza on this forum and they said it may not be all that it's chalked up to be, especially if the puppies are tired and/or "injured" and there aren't that many of them to begin with. YMMV for how your experience goes.

Another idea they will not be crowded is on port days ask around the port about local tours. Dog sledding tours in Alaska include a kennel tour and time to play with the cutest, little puppies. Even if the port does not have a sled tour, many breeders who are happy to allow people to visit their dogs.

I talked to one breeder who was selling many of his puppies to the lower 48 states to be family pets. Because of referrals from cruise ship passengers that he offered free tours too. 

My last Aladka cruise the puppies were on the lido deck by the pool. Line wrapped all the way around the pool and even further down the deck. We estimated an hour to get near the puppies for pictures so skipped it. Get in line early!

On the Royal a few weeks ago, it was at 7 p.m. but people were lined up maybe an hour before that. It will say in your Patter.

It wasn't as enjoyable for my son as it's very quick...you kneel down for a picture with the puppy and that's it... barely get to look at them. I understand that they need to move the line quickly but it seemed like just a quick photo opportunity sale.

33 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

I would presume, that should you have your picture taken with the puppy, you will pay for it, am I correct?

Correct. It is one of the many photos they take (or try to) that will be for sale in the photo area; they did not let us take our own photos.

Last week they had only 2 puppies and only person at a time per puppy  got to come into the piazza at a time and spend a minute or two petting the puppy. With over 2000 pax do the math if you aren't in the first 100 in line!

This sounds disappointing.  On our Coral cruise several years ago Libby Riddles brought two or three of her puppies onboard at about 5:00pm.  There was a nice, but not overwhelming crowd there and no lines.  Libby also spoke to passengers and answered questions.  Ah well, all good things must end.  I would have liked my Grandboys to have had that experience.