NCL Prima - Observation Lounge closed for the entire cruise

robinium

4 hours ago, robinium said:

There is a board outside the doors saying “Private Function”. We asked a staff member nearby about it and she said that it was closed for the entire cruise as it was booked by a group. No further details given. 

I am really hopeful that this staff member was confused and was providing inaccurate information.  Probably not, but it wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 1

I'm completely useless when it comes to using Twitter, but it's my understanding that using social media to bring attention to problems with corporations can be very effective. I don't know how you would best go about this, but it's something to consider. This is really unacceptable on a cruise like yours, especially with the weather conditions you are experiencing.

• Following this topic and waiting for more facts.  I would not be surprised to see OL on Prima closed off for private event for an hour or two but just don't see it closed the entire cruise.  

It would be nice if original poster would give us an update and/or take pictures of the sign  or crash the party as a few have suggested.   Maybe someone else who is also on the cruise will come on here and collaborate the fact that the OL will be closed the entire cruise.  

At this point something does not add up.  Taking away access to the OL for the entire cruise makes no sense to me.  Hoping for the original poster's benefit that there has been some sort of misunderstanding and that they will have access to OL for the remainder of their cruise.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do you remember which ship and where it was sailing?

It was a Spinnaker lounge that was closed.  So it would have been one of the Jewel class, but can't remember which that time....a 7 day cruise.  

6 minutes ago, roger001 said:

It was a Spinnaker lounge that was closed.  So it would have been one of the Jewel class, but can't remember which that time....a 7 day cruise.  

Thanks.  That sucks that they did that to you.  Fortunately, reports of such OL closures are extremely rare.

Update everyone! I’m not sure if this was related to our actions, but it seems something has happened! I sent an email about the situation to the NCL corporate office this morning, but didn’t receive a response. 

When we checked yesterday, both entrances were blocked off with Private Function signs, and, as stated, a staff member who we asked said that the lounge was going to be closed for the entire length of the cruise. No mention of sectioning or anything. 

We just went up to check things out now, after Rumours finished in Syd Norman’s, and now half of the lounge has been opened up to all passengers! There is also a new sign which definitely wasn’t there before sending VIP guests one direction, and passengers another. 

Pictures of the signs coming through in a minute…

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the update!!  Half an OL is infinitely better than no OL, but you still aren't getting what you paid for (unless perhaps it is a charter function and the charter bought out half the ship).  Even then, I can't believe that they are using it 24/7.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks for the update!!  Half an OL is infinitely better than no OL, but you still aren't getting what you paid for (unless perhaps it is a charter function and the charter bought out half the ship).  Even then, I can't believe that they are using it 24/7.

24/7 makes a little sense now that we know it's for Part West Art sale,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Absolutely, yes. This is much, much better than not having anything. I am certain that this was not the case yesterday, and that sign is new. 

Both entrances were blocked and boarded like the picture I posted. The staff member who told us the lounge is closed for the whole cruise just said “the Observation Lounge is unfortunately closed for the entire length of the cruise, for a private function”. So I’m quite confident the original plan was to close the entire lounge. 

They are definitely not using it the whole time - every time I have checked it, there hasn’t been a single sign of life around the lounge. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, robinium said:

Absolutely, yes. This is much, much better than not having anything. I am certain that this was not the case yesterday, and that sign is new. 

Both entrances were blocked and boarded like the picture I posted. The staff member who told us the lounge is closed for the whole cruise just said “the Observation Lounge is unfortunately closed for the entire length of the cruise, for a private function”. So I’m quite confident the original plan was to close the entire lounge. 

They are definitely not using it the whole time - every time I have checked it, there hasn’t been a single sign of life around the lounge. 

Half is better than none…and I hope you get the side with the food and servers delivering bar drinks.  Yay for the non VIP guests.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, robinium said:

The second one keeps uploading as a black square, so here’s the image link: 

https://ibb.co/C7Gycz5

Here you go:

image.png.3f97046d2f65cc293f65a83537ac2fe6.png

That said, WT$ is a Park West Art function and why/how is that more important than the fine Prima passengers being able to fully enjoy the OL?

image.thumb.png.6dcf8db4502231fd8fd17d1cfb6bf61b.pngAre they selling/auctioning crap or is it just a bunch of elite artists getting together to interfere with the lives of others?  Those affected: PLEASE give NCL appropriate feedback.  This should not stand.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, robinium said:

IMG_2519.thumb.jpeg.52b70b4a28e206705f1a07a1338dd17c.jpeg

The portion open to passengers ends RIGHT after the bar. I’ve crudely illustrated what is closed off and what is open on the deck plan, so it’s a bit less than half, in reality. 

There has been plenty of commentary on other threads about Prima's design and the apparent lack of capacity in several crucial venues.  Park West sets up auctions and viewings on every ship in the NCL fleet.  Usually they take over one of the restaurants for an afternoon, or sometimes close off one of the lounges for a few hours at a time.  I feel for the crew members who have to schlep those paintings back and forth from the hallways where they normally hang to the venue where the auctions take place.  Back and forth, back and forth, usually several times per cruise.  Generally, though, Park West manages to find some place to set up that is away from the prime real estate of a forward observation lounge.  With Prima's unique design, though, I guess they couldn't find another, more appropriate, less intrusive, location.  Well, I suppose that's one more black mark against the design and deck layout of Prima.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

It's a Park West "VIP" art sale.  How much would you like to wager that ANYONE who flashes enough coin would suddenly be considered a "VIP" by Park West?

I like your thinking.  Would I have to put on pants and shoes to pull that off?🤣

16 minutes ago, robinium said:

The portion open to passengers ends RIGHT after the bar. I’ve crudely illustrated what is closed off and what is open on the deck plan, so it’s a bit less than half, in reality. 

Thanks.  While you still have the bar, you can't access the best viewing seats in the OL.  This is really a dumb move by NCL.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

It's a Park West "VIP" art sale.  How much would you like to wager that ANYONE who flashes enough coin would suddenly be considered a "VIP" by Park West?

of course, but the space is still going to be full of the displays that won't be taken down until the end of the sale/cruise.

28 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Or maybe feign interest and flash the watch and Diamond ring🤣

33 minutes ago, robinium said:

Darn…IIRC they got the food and bar servers 🙁

1 hour ago, robinium said:

That's pathetic.  Uggh. Park West of all narrow, waste-of-money and space endeavors....I'd be less disappointed in NCL if it was the FeteTopia Soca cruise group in that space.

• Haha 4