NCL Prima - Observation Lounge closed for the entire cruise

robinium

Hi all, 

We’re currently cruising on the Prima and having a great time; our only small disappointment is that the Observation Lounge is closed for the entire length of the cruise. 

As the main indoor seating / bar area on the upper decks, it would be the best place to take in the views while sailing. The reason for the closure is the booking of a “Private Function” for the entirety of the cruise length. 

Is it typical for NCL to rent out large feature areas of the ship for the entire length of a cruise, or did we just get unlucky this time around? It’s our first cruise, so I’m not sure what usually happens. 

4 hours ago, robinium said:

Hi all, 

We’re currently cruising on the Prima and having a great time; our only small disappointment is that the Observation Lounge is closed for the entire length of the cruise. 

As the main indoor seating / bar area on the upper decks, it would be the best place to take in the views while sailing. The reason for the closure is the booking of a “Private Function” for the entirety of the cruise length. 

Is it typical for NCL to rent out large feature areas of the ship for the entire length of a cruise, or did we just get unlucky this time around? It’s our first cruise, so I’m not sure what usually happens. 

It is not “normal” but happens when there is a partial charter and they reserve the space. 

One of the biggest group culprits for taking over public spaces are CC roll calls.

Not all the time but some cruises it feels like it.

One Celebrity cruise the solos sub group of the roll call took over the martini bar every night, no one could get near the place. 

Forgot where I read it or which line recently a group(TA i think) took over a speciality restaurant for the whole cruise, no one else could get a booking.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

One of the biggest group culprits for taking over public spaces are CC roll calls.

One Celebrity cruise the solos sub group of the roll call took over the martini bar every night, no one could get near the place. 

Forgot where I read it or which line recently a group(TA i think) took over a speciality restaurant for the whole cruise, no one else could get a booking.

We do indeed.  Our Meet and Greets are sometimes held in the Brew House.  They put a sign up at the entrance stating “Closed for Private Function”.  Granted, we’re only there for an hour or so.  But, if given enough participants, we’ll dominate a venue even after the Meet and Greet is over.

OL?  That’s a really big space.  I’m surprised someone had enough people to fill the entire OL.  Then again, I’ve only been in the OL on Breakaway Plus ships.  Maybe the Prima’s is smaller.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Yah but even roll calls don't get a space for an entire cruise?  they will get a space for 1-2 hours but that's it.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OL?  That’s a really big space.  I’m surprised someone had enough people to fill the entire OL.  Then again, I’ve only been in the OL on Breakaway Plus ships.  Maybe the Prima’s is smaller.

It looks like the OL on the Prima is significantly smaller than those on the BA+ ships. 

I just took a look at the deck plan and also a youtube video and it must be 1/2 the size.

The Port and Starboard sides are definitely shorter and the front only has a fraction of the space of the Joy and Encore.  

Still, depending upon the itinerary, a full cruise shutdown of that space will certainly create upset passengers.

We're  booked for the Prima summer '25 for Norway/Iceland (what the OP is currently on) and losing that space would likely make us upset too!

Edited by JandC_Cruising
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, robinium said:

Happens on all cruise lines, not just NCL.

I remember an alaskan cruise on Holland where a group had private use of the Crows Nest (think very nice observation area at the top of the ship) while the ship was visiting Glacier Bay.  

I also remember where a group, not on Holland, had reserved the second seating for the MDR for every night for their exclusive use.

Essentially, any cruise line will reserve any area for any group willing to pay the price.

And, no, these cruise lines will not offer compensation for any inconveinience claiming that other options are always available.

Nor will they disclose in advance any large groups or any reservations for their exclusive use.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

It looks like the OL on the Prima is significantly smaller than those on the BA+ ships. 

I just took a look at the deck plan and also a youtube video and it must be 1/2 the size.

The Port and Starboard sides are definitely shorter and the front only has a fraction of the space of the Joy and Encore.  

Still, depending upon the itinerary, a full cruise shutdown of that space will certainly create upset passengers.

We're  booked for the Prima summer '25 for Norway/Iceland (what the OP is currently on) and losing that space would likely make us upset too!

Yeah, as this is a colder weather itinerary, it’s really annoying to lose that space for the entire cruise. 

It has been so windy that we’ve been unable to use the outdoor spaces on the ship, so there isn’t really anywhere else indoors to get a full view of the surroundings as the ship sails. 

I am tempted to complain to NCL about it as I believe that space should be considered a pretty integral part of the cruise package, given it’s the only indoor space designed to sit and take in the surroundings and we had expected to make heavy use of it. I wonder if they’d offer some credit to use onboard in a future cruise, as we have Prima transatlantic booked for Nov 2024 too. They may not give it, but it’s worth a try, worst they can say is no. 

Edited by robinium
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, vacation44 said:

We, too, would not be happy.  A few hours a few times is one thing, but for the whole cruise is a totally different thing.

Agreed, we’d have had no issue if it was, say, just the evenings (eg 7pm onwards) or just for 4-5 days. But to not get to experience it at all is really, really disappointing. We really wanted to sit up there and enjoy the view of Geiranger. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, robinium said:

Agreed, we’d have had no issue if it was, say, just the evenings (eg 7pm onwards) or just for 4-5 days. But to not get to experience it at all is really, really disappointing. We really wanted to sit up there and enjoy the view of Geiranger. 

Are you still onboard? You should definitely complain. You won't get any satisfaction, most likely, but at least you'll have voiced your concerns. Maybe, just maybe you'll get a few bucks thrown at you in the form of onboard credit or a bottle of wine. Or, maybe a platter of chocolate strawberries. 

Alternatively, raise up all the cruisers, grab your pitchforks and bust your way into the observation lounge...meh, I'd try for a handful of strawberries. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

37 minutes ago, tgloersen said:

Yah but even roll calls don't get a space for an entire cruise?  they will get a space for 1-2 hours but that's it.

I agree.  To block out such a large space for an entire cruise?  That almost sounds like they chartered a good portion of the ship, and those who booked the rest of the cabins are SOL!  That’s a lot of people who are going to be there a lot of the time.

Corporate?

My company blocked out spaces for an end of year bash one time.  We had a restaurant closed off for our meals and an award ceremony.  But again, that was only for a few hours a day.

When we did our B2B Mexican Riviera on the Bliss, the 2nd leg the Vibe was chartered for the whole week. I know that it is not a public place, but we had paid for it then they cancelled it before our cruise left. We were pretty bummed as the ship was full and we had had a blast in the Vibe the first leg. With that being said, I've seen more and more comments on spaces being closed for groups on more and more cruises. Goes with the territory I guess.

13 minutes ago, quillwercruisers said:

When we did our B2B Mexican Riviera on the Bliss, the 2nd leg the Vibe was chartered for the whole week. I know that it is not a public place, but we had paid for it then they cancelled it before our cruise left. We were pretty bummed as the ship was full and we had had a blast in the Vibe the first leg. With that being said, I've seen more and more comments on spaces being closed for groups on more and more cruises. Goes with the territory I guess.

I would be livid.    Yes, livid.   

• Like 6

Just because the cruise line can doesn't make it right. A few hours, a few days yeah could deal with that but the entire cruise just isn't right and I would complain while still on board and I'm sure you won't be the only one

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, quillwercruisers said:

While it was annoying and disappointing to have the Vibe chartered, the Vibe was an added amenity for a handful of guests willing to pay for it.  

The Observation Lounge is a public space for all guests and part of the package the guests purchased.  This space being chartered for the entire cruise is unacceptable IMO. ..especially on a Northern Europe itinerary.  I’d definitely be in the Guest Services line looking for OBC.  And, I would also contact NCL corporate on my return.  Good luck snd sorry for your inconvenience.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

I sailed once and Cagneys was booked one night for a singles group that was on board for Valenetines Day week.  The entire restaurant all night was devoted exclusively to them.

While that’s annoying if you had a reservation booked or had planned an itinerary around it, I’d not have too much of a problem with something being booked up for one or two days. But not getting to experience it for the entire cruise is a bit ridiculous. 

• Like 6

Curious, is there a sign posted outside, something to the effects that it is "closed ... Private Functions"  for the duration of the cruise and/or announced/printed on the Freestyle Daily ???

On our recent Epic TA (15 nights) - Card Room and Le Bistro were used during the day, reserved for groups of passengers, not organized but apparently arranged, for them (anyone else, actually) to use that space to play cards and mah jong tile games.  Other guests were in the card room, not exclusively reserved or blocked from using.  LeBistro were opened for card games, but only until mid/late afternoon as they're fully booked for "regular" evening dinner services ... we couldn't even book it onboard, most of the available reservation dates/times taken, unless we wanted to dine at 9 pm or later (closing time, 10 pm)

Perhaps, as a suggestions, write a note to "Dear GM ... " and drop the comments in the box at Guest Services, and see what NCL has to say about it.  If others onboard aren't happy with this (cannot imagine most pax would, unless they are part of that special "group" enjoying the space - jog down comments onboard with the GM.  Odds are nothing will be done about it, sadly but at least, management should know about the negative impressions it created ...  Perhaps, ask for the Group Events Coordinator, they often serve as the ship's "Access Officer" and ask nicely to find out the nature of the functions held and who's getting the space while excluding others.  

I read about NCL doing more charters in 2023, many are on the older, mid-sized ships during the non-summer months / peak season, but 🤔 😟  It is what it is. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Curious, is there a sign posted outside, something to the effects that it is "closed ... Private Functions"  for the duration of the cruise and/or announced/printed on the Freestyle Daily ???

On our recent Epic TA (15 nights) - Card Room and Le Bistro were used during the day, reserved for groups of passengers, not organized but apparently arranged, for them (anyone else, actually) to use that space to play cards and mah jong tile games.  Other guests were in the card room, not exclusively reserved or blocked from using.  LeBistro were opened for card games, but only until mid/late afternoon as they're fully booked for "regular" evening dinner services ... we couldn't even book it onboard, most of the available reservation dates/times taken, unless we wanted to dine at 9 pm or later (closing time, 10 pm)

Perhaps, as a suggestions, write a note to "Dear GM ... " and drop the comments in the box at Guest Services, and see what NCL has to say about it.  If others onboard aren't happy with this (cannot imagine most pax would, unless they are part of that special "group" enjoying the space - jog down comments onboard with the GM.  Odds are nothing will be done about it, sadly but at least, management should know about the negative impressions it created ...  Perhaps, ask for the Group Events Coordinator, they often serve as the ship's "Access Officer" and ask nicely to find out the nature of the functions held and who's getting the space while excluding others.  

I read about NCL doing more charters in 2023, many are on the older, mid-sized ships during the non-summer months / peak season, but 🤔 😟  It is what it is. 

It was never addressed or mentioned by any of the team on the ship, or in Freestyle Daily. The opening hours have simply been omitted from the FS Daily. It would have been nice to at least inform passengers, rather than pretending the space doesn’t exist. 

There is a board outside the doors saying “Private Function”. We asked a staff member nearby about it and she said that it was closed for the entire cruise as it was booked by a group. No further details given. 

It’s really frustrating… I wanted to sit up top and look out over the Fjords while enjoy a drink from

my Premium Plus package. I can’t do that now, even outdoors, as the winds are very strong making it freezing cold outside the ship. 

The common areas are also quite overcrowded on account of that large public seating space being reserved. 

Edited by robinium
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robinium said:

Yeah, as this is a colder weather itinerary, it’s really annoying to lose that space for the entire cruise. 

It has been so windy that we’ve been unable to use the outdoor spaces on the ship, so there isn’t really anywhere else indoors to get a full view of the surroundings as the ship sails. 

I am tempted to complain to NCL about it as I believe that space should be considered a pretty integral part of the cruise package, given it’s the only indoor space designed to sit and take in the surroundings and we had expected to make heavy use of it. I wonder if they’d offer some credit to use onboard in a future cruise, as we have Prima transatlantic booked for Nov 2024 too. They may not give it, but it’s worth a try, worst they can say is no. 

There is an alternative plan you might consider, though I know it will draw criticism from some who frequent the CC NCL forums.  If you believe that not being able to access the observation lounge constitutes a denial of promised or expected service, you can ask the Guest Service desk to have some or all of your Daily Service Charge removed from your on board account.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, robinium said:

There is a board outside the doors saying “Private Function”. We asked a staff member nearby about it and she said that it was closed for the entire cruise as it was booked by a group. No further details given.

Have you considered trying to crash the party?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

There is an alternative plan you might consider, though I know it will draw criticism from some who frequent the CC NCL forums.  If you believe that not being able to access the observation lounge constitutes a denial of promised or expected service, you can ask the Guest Service desk to have some or all of your Daily Service Charge removed from your on board account.

I hadn’t actually remembered that this was an option until you mentioned, thanks. If I don’t get any satisfaction from complaining, this may be the only option left. I’d obviously prefer not to do it as it would harm the staff (who are not at fault and offering good service), but if it is the only way to get some recourse and send a message to management… 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1