NCL Prima - Observation Lounge closed for the entire cruise

robinium

36 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

There is an alternative plan you might consider, though I know it will draw criticism from some who frequent the CC NCL forums.  If you believe that not being able to access the observation lounge constitutes a denial of promised or expected service, you can ask the Guest Service desk to have some or all of your Daily Service Charge removed from your on board account.

That was the recommendation on the ship  for the UK drink incident.

IIRC the one I mentioned earlier about dining someone found the agency involved reached out and got an invite.

Someone needs to find out who this over  entitled group is that are  denying paying passengers of their paid for amenities.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just to add, the ship is sailing at capacity. The removal of that space, as well as the conditions preventing use of outdoor spaces makes it pretty packed inside, in the available spaces. 

The Vibe seems to be closed (so far at least, whenever I’ve checked) too, presumably due to the strong winds. That supports the claim that the outside areas aren’t viable alternatives to The Observation Lounge.

Edited by robinium
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Please try to obtain more details.  As you've described it to this point, I would be extremely disappointed.  This even goes beyond the no booze in the UK stunt.

I will try to get more info in the next day or so and will keep the thread updated if anything develops. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The next time we're on a ship with an Observation Lounge, we're going to rent it out for the entire cruise for our party of two. That'll show 'em...two can play at that game.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, robinium said:

I will try to get more info in the next day or so and will keep the thread updated if anything develops. 

Make sure to get photos and other evidence of the outdoor spaces being closed or unusable, to show someone who is not on board that it was really a detriment to those not part of that group that the large public space was closed.  Also a photo of the sign outside the OL...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

Make sure to get photos and other evidence of the outdoor spaces being closed or unusable, to show someone who is not on board that it was really a detriment to those not part of that group that the large public space was closed.  Also a photo of the sign outside the OL...

8 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  It would be great if you could post a photo of the sign indicating closure.

Absolutely, thanks. Will take a photo next

time I’m up there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robinium said:

It was never addressed or mentioned by any of the team on the ship, or in Freestyle Daily ... even outdoors, as the winds are very strong making it freezing cold outside the ship. 

The common areas are also quite overcrowded on account of that large public seating space being reserved. 

Thanks, appreciate the details.  Well, on a side note, at least onboard satellite WiFi seemed to be, at least, working unless you are on a land-based cellular signal, that's good.  Back on topic, I concur that it might not be a bad idea to just walk into the OL and see who's in there and what's happening - seminars, sales presentation, private dancing (just kidding) or what not.  Over the decades, I've seen "Private Functions" announced with the door post/sign but that's usually for 2 or 3 hours, perhaps the morning or afternoon, i.e. professional groups doing CE courses at sea for credits or training - seemed kind of odd for using that space (teacher's convention ??).  If that group are numbered in the hundreds, I would think that it's probably at or beyond maximum legal/fire safety occupancy level for the space. 

That's one of the "challenges" of these mega ships not designed for colder weather & climate, with limited indoor space and NCL's solution is to simply run just about every other "public" functions in the overcrowded atrium lobby with the overflow above (i.e. The Local or O'Sheehan's for the *Away ship) - just not acceptable when the vessel is sailing at/above double occupancies ... not a minor problem to be ignored or simply say some are annoyed.  Cheerleaders will proclaim otherwise, I respectfully disagree but will simply ignore those comments & not respond, period. 

Leave the GM a written note - furthermore, inform him/her and the team that this is "live" on CruiseCritic and if they are monitoring and their social media team is following, their response would be helpful.   Of course, I expect them to simply pass the bucks to their Miami HQ and shouldn't simply give them a free "pass" to be business as usual.  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, robinium said:

Agreed, we’d have had no issue if it was, say, just the evenings (eg 7pm onwards) or just for 4-5 days. But to not get to experience it at all is really, really disappointing. We really wanted to sit up there and enjoy the view of Geiranger. 

I would really be disappointed, especially with this itinerary. On any cruise with a lot of scenic viewing, the main observation area should not be unavailable for the entire cruise. You should at least be given some kind of compensation. I feel bad for anyone who does not have at least a balcony cabin. 

The only other places I can think of with good views are behind the atrium Starbucks or the whiskey bar. You could also have a leisurely breakfast and lunch in Hudson's MDR on Geiranger day.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Don't take them too seriously. I know @hallux is experimenting with sardonic humor. @ChiefMateJRK, well I still can't get a grasp on whatever the heck he means. I think I'm not able to interpret rat pack. 

What on God's green earth are you going off about this time?  I meant exactly what I posted and am highly confident that the same is true for @hallux

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  It would be great if you could post a photo of the sign indicating closure.

At least two of us want to see exactly what the sign says.  Is that so difficult?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What exactly would a sign stating "private function" add to the discussion?

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

We do indeed.  Our Meet and Greets are sometimes held in the Brew House.  They put a sign up at the entrance stating “Closed for Private Function”.  Granted, we’re only there for an hour or so.  But, if given enough participants, we’ll dominate a venue even after the Meet and Greet is over.

OL?  That’s a really big space.  I’m surprised someone had enough people to fill the entire OL.  Then again, I’ve only been in the OL on Breakaway Plus ships.  Maybe the Prima’s is smaller.

Yes it is smaller on the Prima but still a substantial space. It’s designed like the Breakaway class wrapping around the ship. Yo would think they could  close off one side for a private function and leave the other side open. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luv2kroooz said:

What exactly would a sign add to the discussion?

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

At least two of us want to see exactly what the sign says. 

It may add a lot.  If you can't wrap your head around that then I can't help you.  Might I suggest you simply block my posts if you find them irrelevant?  I wouldn't mind a bit.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It may add a lot.  If you can't wrap your head around that then I can't help you.  Might I suggest you simply block my posts if you find them irrelevant?  I wouldn't mind a bit.

I didn't say I found your posts to be irrelevant.

I was asking if a sign that said "private function" would tell you anything more than you already know. Anyway, I hope someone is able to post the sign you are looking for. Have a good day.

12 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

In my case, my post was suggesting that if the OP is going to make a claim that the weather caused closure of outside spaces and reduction of available public-access space making the OL being closed to all but the private function an issue for enjoyment of the scenery that they went on the cruise for, be sure to document it for shoreside people the OP might bring their complaint to.

@cruiseny4life I meant exactly what I typed, no sardonic humor intended, thanks @ChiefMateJRK 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ppcox said:

Yes it is smaller on the Prima but still a substantial space. It’s designed like the Breakaway class wrapping around the ship. Yo would think they could  close off one side for a private function and leave the other side open. 

Of course they could do that.  However, if the group wants the whole space and is willing to pay for the whole space, then that's what they will get.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

You should definitely complain. You won't get any satisfaction, most likely, but at least you'll have voiced your concerns. Maybe, just maybe you'll get a few bucks thrown at you in the form of onboard credit or a bottle of wine. Or, maybe a platter of chocolate strawberries. 

Agree with @cruiseny4life and many others.

The notion that an entire large lounge would be reserved for a private function for the entirety of the cruise is super objectionable and definitely deserves written complaints to the GM.  Yeah, OK, one or two hours here or there, but the entire cruise???!!

I sailed on Prima in April. That OL is marketed by NCL for its top-notch amenities; and it's the one of only 3 mid- to late-afternoon places to get any palatable food on the ship....which makes the closing even more egregious...and should underscore why they can't/shouldn't close it.

(All that said, this seems way too bone-headed for NCL to close it for a cruise-long private function... maybe there's some big-time repair or facilities issue in there?)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

I suppose it might indicate the hours for which the venue is closed, or if it indeed was restricted 24 hours a day for the entirety of the cruise.  Just a confirmation that the OP did not inadvertently misread the message.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ppcox said:

They divided off a section of the lounge a couple of times when we sailed on the Prima last September.  On one occasion the shortest distance between two points, namely the nearest exit and where I happened to be standing, was a bee line straight through the cocktail party that was going on for the group of TAs who were on board for one of Prima's first cruises.  I did not stand on ceremony.  I just moved quietly and briskly through their group and out the exit.  No harm, no foul.

• Like 2