Christmas and New Years Eve

@NorbertsNiece Welcome to HAL!

Never done a NY cruise on HAL, but Christmas was lovely on the Koningsdam last year. The ship was decorated, started right after Thanksgiving with more added as the days progressed. Some cabins "wore" holiday decor. None was over the top, but definitely gave the ship a Christmas feel.

We even saw cabin stewards decorate their carts and a couple had decorated their towel animals. 🎅🤶🧑‍🎄

We did not cruise with children, so I can't speak for what extras may or may not have been offered for "non-adults."

This may seem crazy, but I can't even remember if holiday music was played. Hmmm...

I enjoyed seeing the ports decorated as well.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on NS on 12/27-1/7 in the Caribbean-there were lots of decorations and a few of the ports had decorations. Not sure which ships have the big screen in the pool area but we had a big NY countdown party with champaign and snacks-it was fun I thought. I was a little surprised how many kids were on this cruise since it was 12 days but we had no issues. I would recommend getting a thermal suite pass if you are going to a warm weather destination because every oudoor pool was full and even the sea view pool had tons of kids jumping in-we used the thermal suite every day and there were never more than 5 at a time and my GF didn't have to wait on a ceramic lounger. If you can vary your dining times at Dive-in and Lido you can avoid the long lines-I know you will enjoy HAL.

Edited by pirate cruiser
need to add something-just noticed you are going to Antartica
  • Like 3

We've done three New Years cruises, had lots of fun, did the count down around the pool. Great way to ring in the New Year, you'll have stories to tell for years.

• Like 2

Expect LOTS of kids and some not-well-behaved adults. It will be somewhat atypical of a Holland-America cruise.

We did a seven-day New Year's cruise as a back-to-back with a very long HAL Grand Voyage. The 50 or so passengers who also did the B2B were aghast at the behaviour. Most of us just laid low as much as possible.

• Like 3

@NorbertsNiece -- it looks like you will be on Oosterdam : Antarctica : Dec '23. I would not expect a lot of children (I could be mistaken). We were on the Koningsdam over New Years Eve, Mexican Riviera. I believe that was the first Gala (dressy) night in the MDR, but NYE is our anniversary so we ate at Rudi's, and we are old fogies so we did not do the big screen count down! ETA: we did get the top-hats, even in Rudi's!

There were decorations, noticed particularly the heavy garland'ed staircases where the photographers were happy to pose you for pics. It's nice to let them take a few shots -- no commitment to buy and you might get lucky!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

There were decorations, noticed particularly the heavy garland'ed staircases where the photographers were happy to pose you for pics. It's nice to let them take a few shots -- no commitment to buy and you might get lucky!

By 'lucky' I mean, maybe get the best shot ever of you/spouse. We have always brushed off the photographers, but after reading on CC that they get reviews or compensation by how many pics they take and not by how many are purchased -- I have vowed to let them snap a few if we are not in a hurry to get somewhere else. Who knows, we might get lucky!!!

• Like 4

Here's another Christmas related question. Lunch / dinner on December 25th..... in the UK the traditional meal is turkey or other bird/poultry, stuffing, loads of root vegetables etc.... followed by a heavyish pudding which may or may not be boozy! How does that compare to an American festive meal?

19 minutes ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Here's another Christmas related question. Lunch / dinner on December 25th..... in the UK the traditional meal is turkey or other bird/poultry, stuffing, loads of root vegetables etc.... followed by a heavyish pudding which may or may not be boozy! How does that compare to an American festive meal?

Growing up, we always had another turkey (after the one at my Grammy's on the fourth Thursday in November) with stuffing etc. Dessert was one or more sweet pies -- pumpkin, apple, mincemeat. I think other families may have the ritual of ham dinner to set apart from the US Thanksgiving bird.

Since I am well-grown and our house has become the gathering place for the local family, I have made the breakaway tradition of a standing rib roast of beef for Christmas!

Have never spent Christmas on a ship -- did have (US) Thanksgiving on the Zaandam in 2014, and I'm pretty sure there was turkey along with many alternatives, in the Lido.

Hope others will answer!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Here are the dinner menus for Christmas '23 on Zuiderdam

c3.png.bf15d830d8e758c5423ce4c989ccf7fb.png

c1.png.a02dc18600a7243598db15cda040152f.png

And Christmas '22 on Rotterdam

c5.png.254ccef0e1d28c79e22c23ec3947c63a.png

c4.png.b8bb35a601b9538852ae3aa5c35c65a7.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

We had very good "roast goose" on the Konigsdam Christmas Eve. ... could it really have been duck, which is why they were out of "Duck ala Orange" at Rudi's a few night later?

Traditional US Christmas Day Meal - often similar to the Nov Thanksgiving meal, but not always for Christmas which can also offer roast beef or ham: Roast turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing/stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes, various vegetables, rolls, cranberry sauce, used to also have a jellied salad in the past,  pumpkin pie, pecan pie-closest to a sticky toffee pudding offering. (Not really but at least kind of gooey and nutty with a pie crust - not a steamed pudding. The Lido will have German stollen bread.)

We noticed on past holiday cruises, this dinner is available on Christmas Eve and Christmas day itself is quieter in the dining room but very active with families and kids in the rest of the ship.

"Santa" arrives in the main show room with a gift for all the kids, and we even saw families in matching pajama sets during this public venue festivity. Extended family groups also move in very large packs during holiday cruises, taking up many seats in row and spread out over tables and fill elevators with their own family groups.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Double check whether Christmas Day is a Sea Day or a Port Day. I found that if it's a port day many things may be closed and the excursion options limited. You cannot change those, but at least you know what to expect and can plan accordingly. This year I'm sailing on December 26th for a short cruise, but I also looked at a cruise that included Christmas Day. I was happy to see that it was a sea day as I think the ship and crew are ready to give us a special day every day of the cruise.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Nola26 said:

Double check whether Christmas Day is a Sea Day or a Port Day. I found that if it's a port day many things may be closed and the excursion options limited. You cannot change those, but at least you know what to expect and can plan accordingly. This year I'm sailing on December 26th for a short cruise, but I also looked at a cruise that included Christmas Day. I was happy to see that it was a sea day as I think the ship and crew are ready to give us a special day every day of the cruise.

Yes, the cruise (Hawaii) I booked has a port days on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I’ve been looking up places to see what will be open and luckily we should be able to have things we want to do those days.  Unfortunately, I am a bit bummed about missing Christmas Eve dinner on the ship but that is the only time it seems like we can do a luau based on the hours we are in port.