NJ is NOT NY!

3dogmom

I'm not sure what you mean by a stop, but you could take a Bus to Jersey City's Exchange Place, at which point you can take the PATH train to anywhere in Manhattan. Or Uber/Lyft from Bayonne to Manhattan. By car, the fastest route would be the Holland Tunnel into Manhattan.

It reminds me of the famous comment:  "So this is Winnipeg, I can tell it's not Paris".

No, your "stop in NYC" is NOT in NYC. 

Back in the 1930's Mayor LaGuardia refused to get off a plane that landed at Newark - claiming that his ticket indicated a fare paid for a flight to New York.

Interesting that someone from New Brunswick, NJ would know the fastest route to Manhattan (I certainly would).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know why I said "stop"...port is more like it!  In my previous experience when a cruise line has Rome as a port, next to it will be

"Civitavecchia". I thought if the port was in NJ, they would say that!

Car service it is.

56 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It reminds me of the famous comment:  "So this is Winnipeg, I can tell it's not Paris".

No, your "stop in NYC" is NOT in NYC. 

Back in the 1930's Mayor LaGuardia refused to get off a plane that landed at Newark - claiming that his ticket indicated a fare paid for a flight to New York.

Interesting that someone from New Brunswick, NJ would know the fastest route to Manhattan (I certainly would).

You relish in every opportunity to make a joke about NJ. Sad, but reading your posts not surprised.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 3dogmom said:

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know why I said "stop"...port is more like it!  In my previous experience when a cruise line has Rome as a port, next to it will be

"Civitavecchia". I thought if the port was in NJ, they would say that!

Car service it is.

A port “stop” at Bayonne is pretty unusual. Usually Bayonne is only used for embarkations and debarkations by Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. I was surprised once to see the QM2 docked there when embarking on a Celebrity cruise but it was an embark/debark that happened because there was no room in Brooklyn. What cruise line and what itinerary?

Not that many years ago, before jet planes wiped out the transAtlantic shipping lines, there were so many piers along the west side of Manhattan - Cunard, US Lines, W R Grace, Furness Bermuda, the French and Italian Lines, Swedish American, etc. — it seems a bit sad that so little of that infrastructure was preserved.

10 hours ago, 3dogmom said:

I just learned my stop in NYC is actually in Bayonne, NJ. Best, cheapest, fastest way to get into the city for private tours?

Fastest would be a hired car. Cheapest would be public transportation. "Best" depends how you balance fastest and cheapest, which are on opposite ends of a continuum.

As to public transportation, there is none at the Bayonne cruise terminal. Absent an unpleasant walk, you'll need a hired car at least as far as a transit stop in Bayonne (about $10-15 for a short trip). There are light rail stations in Bayonne, at 34th Street and at 45th Street, that will take you to Jersey City or Hoboken for $2.25. Change at either location for a PATH subway train into Manhattan for $2.75. Alternative, go to John F. Kennedy Boulevard in Bayonne, where bus route 119 goes directly to midtown Manhattan for $6.00.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

FYI the NY giants, NY jets, and NY Red Bulls all play in NJ. Bayonne is much closer to Manhattan than port Canaveral is to Orlando.

If a cruise has New York listed on the itinerary it should not be docking in Bayonne. That would be deceptive. If this is really true, I find it rather odd that Bayonne would be a port stop, then the cruise line should provide passengers a free shuttle to New York. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not that many years ago, before jet planes wiped out the transAtlantic shipping lines, there were so many piers along the west side of Manhattan - Cunard, US Lines, W R Grace, Furness Bermuda, the French and Italian Lines, Swedish American, etc. — it seems a bit sad that so little of that infrastructure was preserved.

Even in the heyday of ocean travel the German liners (Hapag, NDL, etc) always docked in Hoboken. There never was enough room, even in the good ol days. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

If a cruise has New York listed on the itinerary it should not be docking in Bayonne. That would be deceptive. If this is really true, I find it rather odd that Bayonne would be a port stop, then the cruise line should provide passengers a free shuttle to New York. 

So cruises from port Canaveral should include an hour shuttle from Orlando? Why would one even need a shuttle to nyc, drive to Bayonne or fly into Newark, quick trip to Bayonne.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 3dogmom said:

I just learned my stop in NYC is actually in Bayonne, NJ. Best, cheapest, fastest way to get into the city for private tours? 

Thanks!

Looking at other posts you've made am I correct in saying that you're on the Norwegian Sky, docking in New York on October 11? If I am wrong, please correct my error.

If you're on this cruise on the Sky your ship is docking in Manhattan, as would be expected. I don't know where you got the misinformation about it docking in Bayonne, but here's the official port schedule for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal:

https://nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/schedule-mct/

10/11/2023 MCT Norwegian Sky

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Why would one even need a shuttle to nyc, drive to Bayonne or fly into Newark, quick trip to Bayonne.

The OP is not embarking or disembarking in Bayonne-- it is a port stop that was advertised as being New York City. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

The OP is not embarking or disembarking in Bayonne-- it is a port stop that was advertised as being New York City. 

Interesting, I don’t think I’ve heard of ships using Bayonne as a port stop.

37 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I guess that would not be any more false advertising than a cruise stopping at places like Civita Vecchia and Pireaus claiming to stop at Rome and Athens.   And, of course, the mention of a port call at Bayonne does seem to lack the panache of Manhattan. 

32 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

26 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Neither have I-- just going on the information presented. 

And we now can be reasonably sure that it was misinformation based on my doing a little research on the OP's other posts. (see post #14)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

And we now can be reasonably sure that it was misinformation based on my doing a little research on the OP's other posts. (see post #14)

I wonder why the OP thinks they’re docking in NJ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Looking at other posts you've made am I correct in saying that you're on the Norwegian Sky, docking in New York on October 11? If I am wrong, please correct my error.

If you're on this cruise on the Sky your ship is docking in Manhattan, as would be expected. I don't know where you got the misinformation about it docking in Bayonne, but here's the official port schedule for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal:

https://nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/schedule-mct/

10/11/2023 MCT Norwegian Sky

Thank you so much! I was looking at CruiseMapper that displays this: New York (NYC-Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ)

And yes, I'll be there on Oct. 11th. 

9 minutes ago, 3dogmom said:

Thank you so much! I was looking at CruiseMapper that displays this: New York (NYC-Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ)

And yes, I'll be there on Oct. 11th. 

You misinterpreted what the website means when it says "New York (NYC-Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ)". 

That means any of the three cruise terminals, the two in NYC... Manhattan and Brooklyn, plus Cape Liberty in Bayonne. All three are in what is commonly known as the Port of New York (more accurately the Port of New York and New Jersey).

That website does not distinguish which of the three terminals a particular ship will be using. Nor does another popular but also unofficial port website, cruisetimetables.com. 

The actual docking locations are provided on the official port websites, nycruise.com for Manhattan and Brooklyn and cruiseliberty.com for Cape Liberty.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

The port stop is not being advertised as Bayonne. The op ignored information provided by NCL. The op incorrectly concluded  from a 

third party site that does not provide the info she wrongly assumed.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

It is rare. I recall 1 possibly 2 ships in the past 5 years stopping at Cape Liberty. Aida  & TUI may have been the cruise lines.