Shorts in the dinning room

5 hours ago, cured said:

What I have observed is that most of those who are strictly pro everyone dressing formal are those who have little opportunity on land to attend functions where they dress formal. Their comments are often peppered with "it is our chance to dress up", "we don't get to dress up otherwise" etc.  They desperately need and want everyone to participate in their fantasy in order to feel like they are at some legitimate fancy affair.  They cite rules and proper attire (where none is actually required) to guilt those into participating.

Then you have the other core group, those who have to regularly dress more formally in everyday life. Perhaps they still wear a suit and tie to work everyday. Or they are required to attend formal events for either work or charities they sponsor.  This group wants nothing to do with donning a suit coat, a dress, a button down shirt, or dress pants during their vacation.

Then you have the majority, those who absolutely don't care what others wear, who don't notice what others wear, are engaged with their companions and not clutching their pearls over what Sam across the room is wearing.  They are enjoying their vacation no matter how they are dressed and most importantly no matter how anyone else is dressed.

Be like Applebees during prom season.  The kids dropped off in their limo, dressed to the nines, are having the time of their lives, feeling great about themselves, and not even noticing the regular clientele dressed in shorts and tshirts sitting next to them.  The clientele who dropped in for dinner in their shorts are enjoying their dinner with their companions, not feeling self conscious because a group has decided to dress up for dinner. They might even be oohing and aweing over some of the beautiful gowns (although even prom is more dressed down than in the past here.) 

Enjoy your dinner. If you are in a tux and gown, enjoy feeling fabulous about yourself and your companions. Strut your stuff. But don't let your dinner be ruined because the whole place is not decked out. If you are in shorts and a t shirt, feel wonderful about yourself and have a blast with your companions. Complement the tux or the gorgeous gown as they walk by if you feel so inclined. 

Don't ever feel bad about your choice of dress as long as the important people, Royal Caribbean, allows it. And at this time, formal is an optional choice. Love it or leave it.

I think you presume too much about those who like to dress up.  WE just happen to love getting dressed up!

Your prom example:  the kids may be in Applebees but they are excited because they are dressed for The Prom--which is a big deal to them. That's how we feel about dressing up on our cruise--it's a special occasion for us.  Now, please don't assume we don't get out much, because we do-- Weddings, concerts, Broadway shows, important work conferences.  I know the whole cruising experience is changing,  Some feel it's for the better; others, not so much.  I am some place in the middle.  

Everyone have fun cruising!

Teddie

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, teddie said:

I think you presume too much about those who like to dress up.  WE just happen to love getting dressed up!

Your prom example:  the kids may be in Applebees but they are excited because they are dressed for The Prom--which is a big deal to them. That's how we feel about dressing up on our cruise--it's a special occasion for us.  Now, please don't assume we don't get out much, because we do-- Weddings, concerts, Broadway shows, important work conferences.  I know the whole cruising experience is changing,  Some feel it's for the better; others, not so much.  I am some place in the middle.  

Everyone have fun cruising!

Teddie

Sorry Teddie!

41 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

image.thumb.png.a6760e16f85013be8abdaecaa74b70d0.png

I'm sorry @mugtech. I jumped the gun. You have lost your award. 

Smokey is now the winner of the internet Today. It's good to have competition. I hope you can top this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

I'm sorry @mugtech. I jumped the gun. You have lost your award. 

Smokey is now the winner of the internet Today. It's good to have competition. I hope you can top this. 

Just here to provide knowledge, not interested in awards.  Don't mind an honorable mention.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:29 PM, KroozNut said:

And this is precisely the crux of the problem: One's definition of "Casual" may be a woman in a wet bikini, or a man in his whitey tighties and shower shoes in the MDR on formal night.

By your comment, this would be acceptable to you?

And you conveniently left out the fact that Royal's definitions of Casual and Formal are mere suggestions!  

It is you that has a problem.  If Royal doesn't want a woman in a wet bikini or a man in his whitey tighties and shower shoes, they will deal with it.  It is you that has the problem, not me!  Now, get off my lawn!

13 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

And you conveniently left out the fact that Royal's definitions of Casual and Formal are mere suggestions!  

It is you that has a problem.  If Royal doesn't want a woman in a wet bikini or a man in his whitey tighties and shower shoes, they will deal with it.  It is you that has the problem, not me!  Now, get off my lawn!

You have not refuted my argument, other than to say 'get off my lawn'. Do you have anything else?

23 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Point is, there are guidelines on what 'casual' attire is. Not just, as you suggested, whatever you 'feel like' wearing.

1 minute ago, KroozNut said:

You have not refuted my argument, other than to say 'get off my lawn'. Do you have anything else?

Okay, I'll type this slowly for ya, how people dress in the MDR or anywhere else, is up to them, NOT ME.  I've said that no matter how others dress isn't my problem and it won't ruin my meal or experience in any venue.  Even more plainly, YES, this would be acceptable to me, I'm on vacation and don't care, especially what others wear.  In fact, it would probably be entertaining to watch all the Karan's heads explode.   

• Like 1

Just now, Ret MP said:

Okay, I'll type this slowly for ya, how people dress in the MDR or anywhere else, is up to them, NOT ME.  I've said that no matter how others dress isn't my problem and it won't ruin my meal or experience in any venue.  Even more plainly, YES, this would be acceptable to me, I'm on vacation and don't care, especially what others wear.  In fact, it would probably be entertaining to watch all the Karan's heads explode.   

Would you like me to quote you?

1 minute ago, KroozNut said:

Point is, there are guidelines on what 'casual' attire is. Not just, as you suggested, whatever you 'feel like' wearing.

The use of the word "SUGGESTION" is theirs.  Not mine.  You can read into it all you want.

Okay, here we go.. your quote: "Dress as you like, whatever YOUR definition of "Formal" or "Casual" is."

That, by definition leaves it WIDE open, from naked to flip flops and bikinis on formal night. And you're okay with that?

2 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Okay, here we go.. your quote: "Dress as you like, whatever YOUR definition of "Formal" or "Casual" is."

That, by definition leaves it WIDE open, from naked to flip flops and bikinis on formal night. And you're okay with that?

Okay, last word, I am actually on vacation right now and just stopped in for a minute to see what is happening.  I don't have the desire to put up with any pettiness.  So, when something is a "MERE SUGGESTION" it means that the person has the option to follow the suggestion or do his/her own thing.  THEN it is up to the authoritative entity that suggests to determine if the alternative action is appropriate or not, not mine or yours.  See ya in a week!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Okay, last word, I am actually on vacation right now and just stopped in for a minute to see what is happening.  I don't have the desire to put up with any pettiness.  So, when something is a "MERE SUGGESTION" it means that the person has the option to follow the suggestion or do his/her own thing.  THEN it is up to the authoritative entity that suggests to determine if the alternative action is appropriate or not, not mine or yours.  See ya in a week!

Gobbeldy gook..

• Haha 1