Shorts in the dinning room

We are bringing two teenage grandsons on a cruise this summer. Since the boys don't have a lot of dress clothes would they be able to wear nice shorts to the dinningroom? 

You do not need to have a dress pants.. Do they have slacks  or just any pants even dark not torn jeans. It is enough.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ETski said:

We are bringing two teenage grandsons on a cruise this summer. Since the boys don't have a lot of dress clothes would they be able to wear nice shorts to the dinningroom? 

I think for dress up nights long pants look better, however I've seen shorts on men on dress up night. 

• Like 3

As long as they wear a clean shirt of some description and leave the baseball caps in the cabin, they would probably be just fine. Especially if your sailing is a more relaxed Caribbean cruise. But if it's Europe ... they might want to invest in a pair or two of khakis or even black jeans. No need to get fancy, just a step up from what they'd wear during the day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tatka said:

You do not need to have a dress pants.. Do they have slacks  or just any pants even dark not torn jeans. It is enough.

Unnecessary. Shorts are fine for all members of the party for casual and formal nights. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Unnecessary. Shorts are fine for all members of the party for casual and formal nights. 

Hahahaha.

Sure.

I would add not just fine, but extremely fine.

Why does RCI even have some stupid description of what is expected to be worn in MDR for dinner. What if someone cannot read?.

Honestly I cannot imagine a person who does not have ANY long pants. Well I suppose I could, but that would not be someone who cruise.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

What is the dress code onboard all ships?

When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.
  • Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed. 
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.
  • Like 1