Seashore itineraries - opinions wanted!

nikoo.s

Hi all!

From the UK and currently booked to sail on Seashore March 17th to 28th 2024. This itinerary does ocean cay, cozumel, costa maya, belize, nassau, port canaveral, and ocean cay again overnight (might not be in that order). We are excited but concerned about large crowds as we're not familiar with US school holidays, spring break etc.

We have found a similar itinerary Feb 4th to 15th which misses out belize and does a 2nd overnight at ocean cay instead. 

My question is would it be that much less crowded if we switched to February (assuming we can switch dates)? What would people say is generally the better option of the two? Does it matter much if we miss belize and get more time at OC? 

All opinions welcome! For added context we are 2 people in our 30s travelling with my parents in their 60s if that helps. We will all have aurea (so access to top deck and anytime dining) if that helps with crowds or not.

Thank you! 

Edited by nikoo.s

The March date would definitely see more crowds in the area however you have a B2B seven night cruise paired with a 3-night cruise. The short 3/4-day cruises normally see an influx of the party crowds. That said, I think that I would keep your original booking.

We make a point to not sail during Spring Break in the US which is March-April. Of course, when we were in Venice last year we never thought of Italian holydays. Surprise, surprise there was the crowds on  All Saints Day, November 1 in Venice!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

The March date would definitely see more crowds in the area however you have a B2B seven night cruise paired with a 3-night cruise. The short 3/4-day cruises normally see an influx of the party crowds. That said, I think that I would keep your original booking.

We make a point to not sail during Spring Break in the US which is March-April. Of course, when we were in Venice last year we never thought of Italian holydays. Surprise, surprise there was the crowds on  All Saints Day, November 1 in Venice!

Thanks for this,

Interesting that you said you would keep the original booking (March) but wouldn't sail normally during spring break, so just wondering what would make that decision for you if the crowds are smaller in Feb? Sorry for all the questions its just a lot of money once we factor in flights etc so want to get the best holiday we can! 🙂

Edited by nikoo.s

30 minutes ago, nikoo.s said:

Thanks for this,

Interesting that you said you would keep the original booking (March) but wouldn't sail normally during spring break, so just wondering what would make that decision for you if the crowds are smaller in Feb? Sorry for all the questions its just a lot of money once we factor in flights etc so want to get the best holiday we can! 🙂

I know I sound contradictory but do realize how difficult it is to plan an overseas trip. We face the same thing only in the opposite direction when we travel. Our 2023 plans are complete. Currently I am trying to plan our 2024 trip to Europe to include a MSC cruise ending with a booked HAL Transatlantic starting in Rotterdam on October 12. I would enjoy a MSC cruise to Norway while my wife wants to spend time in Italy with a Med cruise.

The seven-night will deter the college/family crowds more than the shorter cruises (party,party!) so the end of the ten-night may be busier with rambunctious passengers. There is also weather in February versus March although with the way the climate is changing even that is not certain. We live in the Western end of a Mid-Atlantic state and had a colder December than January-February this past year.

Enjoy your travels!

- Jack

• Like 1

We've cruised in both Feb & Mar in the Bahamas and Caribbean.  The weather is not going to be too much different.  With your cruise in 2nd part of March, it'll definitely be a bit warmer than early February; say high-70's to low-80's vs low- to mid-70's for daytime high temps.

February is before US spring break season.  Instead of seeing college-aged or high school-aged young adults & teens, you'll see pre-school age children with their parents.

While Ocean Cay is a great private island with plenty of spaces.  If you are willing to walk further away from the ship, you'll find space to spread out.  That said, 4 days at Ocean Cay maybe a bit much too long.  I'd stay with the March itinerary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

I would enjoy a MSC cruise to Norway while my wife wants to spend time in Italy with a Med cruise.

We just came back from an MSC cruise to Norway a couple weeks ago on the Virtuosa and it was a dream! You must do it if you get the chance! 

Edited by nikoo.s
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nikoo.s said:

We just came back from an MSC cruise to Norway a couple weeks ago on the Virtuosa and it was a dream! You must do it if you get the chance! 

I have my eye on the 2024 MSC Preziosa 11-night cruise up to Honningsvag. Trouble is I like to sail on different ships and we will already have sailed on the MSC Preziosa this September. If we sail from Italy we are going to sail on two 7-night cruises, MSC Divina from Civitavecchia and MSC Opera from Bari.

But holding out for initial reviews of the MSC Euribia as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

I have my eye on the 2024 MSC Preziosa 11-night cruise up to Honningsvag. Trouble is I like to sail on different ships and we will already have sailed on the MSC Preziosa this September. If we sail from Italy we are going to sail on two 7-night cruises, MSC Divina from Civitavecchia and MSC Opera from Bari.

But holding out for initial reviews of the MSC Euribia as well.

Do them all haha. All of these sound fab, especially the Preziosa itinierary! Great thing about going on a ship you've already been on is there's no settling in period and everything is instantly familiar! Our Virtuosa cruise to Norway was our 2nd time on that ship and now it almost feels like a 2nd home! And yes also excited to see how Euribia is looking, considering a Christmas Market cruise in November on there (and it's the same class as Virtousa so I'll already know my way round!) 

• Like 1

Here’s something that may help:

https://www.ststravel.com/college-spring-break-dates

You’ll notice that a vast majority of college spring breaks for surrounding Florida states occur at the very beginning of March. Grade school spring breaks for the same areas generally begin in April. Of course you’ll have some outliers but I think your March dates will see a spring break lull. Plus, the Aurea experience has a really nice sun deck that has great mix of sun and shade (better than YC imo) and a nice bar. It was never crowded when we visited the area on Seashore. I think you’ll be just fine with your March dates. 😊

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Here’s something that may help:

https://www.ststravel.com/college-spring-break-dates

You’ll notice that a vast majority of college spring breaks for surrounding Florida states occur at the very beginning of March. Grade school spring breaks for the same areas generally begin in April. Of course you’ll have some outliers but I think your March dates will see a spring break lull. Plus, the Aurea experience has a really nice sun deck that has great mix of sun and shade (better than YC imo) and a nice bar. It was never crowded when we visited the area on Seashore. I think you’ll be just fine with your March dates. 😊

Reading this has made my day! Thank you so much 💙 a busier cruise doesn't phase me too much and for us it's a dream itinerary! This is more to reassure my parents who aren't cruise addicts like me and who like to mix in some quieter time! 🤣 and I'm super excited about the aurea deck which I've seen has its own bar on the seashore (something the Virtuosa's Aurea deck did not have!) 

Edited by nikoo.s
  • Like 1

You won't see a spring break lull, midMarch to mix April will be some state and school on break. Plan on kids and families on board. 

FYI-Your February dates co-inside with Presidents day, either a four day weekend or two three day weekends. Not as busy as March,  but In case you ever forthcoming at that time again. Some schools get a full week, so it makes that time busy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bearette said:

You won't see a spring break lull, midMarch to mix April will be some state and school on break. Plan on kids and families on board. 

FYI-Your February dates co-inside with Presidents day, either a four day weekend or two three day weekends. Not as busy as March,  but In case you ever forthcoming at that time again. Some schools get a full week, so it makes that time busy.

I think for that kind of itinerary and around that time of year we can expect it to be busy either way 🙂 Will just go with a bit more patience and make the most of it and have a fab time either way!

• Like 1

Funny , we were booked on the 3/17/24 cruise on the seashore, and changed it to 2/4/24.. Spring break in the state of Florida where a lot of cruisers are from is the week of 3/17/24.. I was on the Meraviglia, this year during that week and yes there were a LOT of kids.  Not a big deal, and it was great since I had my grandson with me and he had a blast, and met  many new friends. I've been to Belize many times and the ship doesn't really have great shore excursions for Belize (used have many tiny islands and snorkeling trips, and so didn't mind skipping), and Nassau at least 15 times is enough..  Ocean Cay, MSC's private island is stunning, been there 4 times, love spending 2 days there.  Just my opinion..Cruised on MSC at least 15 times. Great cruise line.. You will enjoy either trip you choose.

• Like 1

Many many schools in Florida are on spring break that week in March, also keep in mind that Belize is a tender port (I believe one way on the tender takes 20-30 min) so not as easy to get to as sitting at beautiful Ocean Cay!  If you are concerned about many kids on board I would stick with February!  We usually avoid March due to the spring break crowds.