Does excessive marketing literature impact cruise fares?

I posted this in another area and it was suggested that it would be a good topic for a new thread:

Nearly every day we receive beautiful catalogs and brochures from multiple luxury cruise and travel companies in our USPS mail. Most go to our recycle bin.  Marketing costs must be enormous, still, I wonder how effective are they? Am I correct in assuming that frequent seasoned cruisers are not drawn in by printed literature? Has this always been the case, a glut of literature,  or has it ramped up since Covid? I would be happy to pay a bit less for specialty suites- surely, excessive literature must have an impact on cruise fares. 

Edited by Bellanina
error

Probably only pennies per cabin, if that. There are people who specialize in determining exactly how much extra business is attracted by different types of marketing and many of these folks are employed by the cruise lines. I'll leave it to them to work their magic but most of it is lost on me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used to work in the printing/graphics industry. The cost of printing those glossy, multi-page brochures is enormous. I cringe every time i see them in my mailbox. They have no impact on my cruise purchase behavior. The absolute worse is NCL, with their HURRY, HURRY, HURRY, everything is FREE FREE FREE promotions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bellanina said:

I should note that Silversea isn't the offender, it's another cruise line that keeps bombarding us.

Does it matter ..

if you do not want them  then ask to be taken off their list

I'm no marketing guru, but I have read that, from a marketing standpoint, it is better to have a continuous flow of marketing materials rather than one BIG catalog that is sent.  The idea being that if and when you decide to go on a cruise, the first cruise line that jumps to your mind is XXXXXXX Lines, because you've gotten 10 marketing pieces each month for the last 6 months.  As opposed to AAAAAA Lines, which sent you a big glossy 45 page catalog three months ago that you tossed out and forgot about.