Solo Cruise Line for Europe

katmu

I’m starting to look at cruise lines for a European cruise for likely 2025 as I’m cruising to Alaska on a multi-generational family trip next summer.  I’m trying to decide between a Mediterranean cruise or a British Isles cruise.  I will likely do one and then the other the following year so it might come down to what I find for itinerary and ships.  I have only done a few cruises, so I’m still a bit of a newbie so I could use some help.  The cruise to Alaska next year will be on HAL and I’ve also cruised on the newer Princess ships, and a long time ago on Carnival (one and done for me).  I was wondering if  any of the major lines have onboard enrichment talks on European cruises, or are they mostly just transportation from port to port?  So far, I’ve been looking at HAL, Princess, Celebrity, NCL, and possibly RCL.  I want a cruise of between 9-14 days since I’m flying from the US and want to make the flight time worth the trip.  I’ve also traveled to Europe on land-based trips several times, and I know that I prefer to travel not in peak season so I will be looking at likely shoulder season cruises.

I’m wondering in general as the itineraries are all pretty port intensive, how hard will it be to meet other solo cruisers?  I’m fairly introverted so not normally the most outgoing person.  My main goal would be to meet a few like minded solo travelers so maybe share a meal, and possibly a shore excursion.

I’m sorry if that was a bit rambling.  Thank you.

As a long-time solo cruiser with many European cruises, I will be honest and say very few lines offer any kind of enrichment lectures these days. They did at one time, but not for many years. You're more likely to find a speaker or two onboard if the cruise is particularly long (e.g., more than 14 days) or if it has a number of sea days, such as a trans-Atlantic cruise.

I have sailed on a number of lines, both large and small. I think it's more important to choose for itinerary in Europe, but I also wouldn't look at itineraries from lines that are low on my list (or not even on it, lol). Some lines, like Celebrity and HAL offer open seating dinner options that allow you to share dinner with others -- an easy way to meet people. Or you may also meet others on your roll call (planning private tours and sharing info tends to lead to greater participation on roll calls for European cruises). 

There are a growing number of solos on most lines now, and I find most lines deal well with them. Other than that darn supplement of course.... 😆

In terms of itinerary, I really love the Med -- have been on a dozen Med cruises (most have been solo).  have a BTB booked for this fall. I've never done a British Isles cruise (yet) but have done a lot of independent land travel in all parts of Britain. Really, any destination in Europe is worthwhile and I would just look at your options and see what interests/excites you most.

• Like 1

Just last week I came off back-to-back cruises on the Saga Spirit of Adventure. (Am already booked for two more cruises next year.) Saga is a British travel company with two new ocean-going vessels. (Their beloved older ships have been retired.) Each carries under 1k passengers, all cabins have balconies, and 20% of the cabins are for solos. But you need to know that Saga is for age 50 and above. And many passengers are very above.

I was one of only 2-3 North Americans on board. Saga does not work with US travel agents. In fact, it is best to book directly with them even if you are in the UK. If you are in the 50+ demographic, I suggest you check out their website. 

Another British cruise line popular with solos is Fred Olsen, but I have no personal experience with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Have you considered a European river cruise? 

I would love to do a river cruise if my next knee surgery goes well.  My main concern if that I don’t want to hold up a group of people with how slow I walk these days.

On 6/21/2023 at 10:37 PM, texasstar said:

Katmu, don't worry about that.  They generally have a "gentle walker" group.  There will be others in the same situation as you.

That is good to know.  I did book a 10 day Mediterranean cruise for 2024 already.  I did find a Classical Music focused itinerary on AmaWaterways that looks pretty interesting, so I’m hoping they continue to offer it for 2025.

• 2 weeks later...

Cunard has onboard lecturers on their sailing.  I have done several TA's from NYC to Europe and they have been so enjoyable.  They have a few oceanview solo cabins that are very nice.  They have live music all over the ship everyday and ballroom dancing in the Queens Room.  They also serve a tea every afternoon that is an experience you must do at least once. 

do you have a budget limit?  Viking is ticking you boxes for enrichment.  They do not, however . offer single passenger rates and rooms.  They offer both ocean and river cruises.  They are very good about ranking their excursions as to activity level. Every port includes one excursion and often it is a bus tour.   While they do not go out of their way to do solo matching, their ocean ships are small( under 1000) and their dining and social experiences are "user friendly"  They have extensive river choices and off season too.   

• 1 month later...

Really, there are two best ways to see Europe. Either book a TA that starts in Europe, and fly in early, or book a land tour, IMHO. I find the Europe cruises A) very expensive and B) its hard to get inland. The river cruises are even more expensive as a single and you run a huge risk of them being turned into a bus tour. But perhaps money isn't an issue for you. Me, I'd rather vacation longer and less expensive. I book land tours that don't have single supplements, or if they do, low ones, or I travel alone (which is what I mainly do.) If you go by yourself, you can stay in Barcelona, for example , for 6 nights, explore it, and take some day tours from there. It has the largest Roman ruins an hour away from it, the Costa Brava coastline, and amazing medieval villages all available by reasonable day tours.