Buy or Rent?

carohs

Hawaii has so many snorkeling options and we'd like to try it out. Would you recommend renting the equipment or buying our own?. It seems that snorkeling equipment is really not that expensive, and if we buy we could use multiple days on the different islands (doing POA) but then it's just one more thing to pack, and add to luggage weight. 

1 hour ago, carohs said:

Would you recommend renting the equipment or buying our own?. It seems that snorkeling equipment is really not that expensive, and if we buy we could use multiple days on the different islands (doing POA) but then it's just one more thing to pack, and add to luggage weight. 

It's an incredibly subjective question-- everyone will have a different answer on this one. Personally I don't like sticking a snorkel mouthpiece in my mouth that countless others have as well but have no issue using the rest of the equipment like goggles and flippers. You don't have to rent everything but the bulky things to pack, like flippers, can be rented most places. 

Keep in mind that not all beaches will have rental facilities through. 

The compromise we've found over the years is to buy our own masks and snorkels (DW needs corrective lens inserts) and rent the flippers. That way you generally get better quality and fit in the mask and a better snorkel. And that doesn't take up that much space (you also get a case for the mask, which makes it less likely to get scratched up). The flippers are the issue for space.

• Like 1

Bought a package from Amzn (two masks, two snorkels). The total cost was about the same price as a one day rental for one at the beach. We had one suitcase between the three of us, didn't take up that much space.  

Edited by Philob
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you have a fitting problem, bring your own. If you don't, all the snorkeling and related excursions will provide their own.

9 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Keep in mind that not all beaches will have rental facilities through. 

We have some excursions but mostly renting a car and exploring ourselves. I kinda assumed most good snorkeling spots would have rentals available so I will add this bit of research to my planning.