First time in a suite - dos and don'ts

Mark.Jules

Just now, 4-2-N-8 said:

This is a critic site.

I'm required to adhere to the spirit of the site. Critiquing (but as politely, and as qualified, as possible).

*this in no way is a critique of any one person, persons, group (or non-group), real (or perceived real) event, comment, idea, misconception, turtle, or thought.

Peace to all, especially to those who serve.

I had to call my therapist because I was scared I might not be allowed to book another suite for my Asia cruise.

Next time I won’t ask for toilet paper.  I’ll ask for caviar.

Guest 4-2-N-8
10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I had to call my therapist because I was scared I might not be allowed to book another suite for my Asia cruise.

Next time I won’t ask for toilet paper.  I’ll ask for caviar.

And don't forget the Grey Poupon.

They would be perplexed were you to not request this condiment alongside everything you want.

44 minutes ago, jamscckmc said:

Not sure if this was already answered. Is the butler gratuity already included or is it like the concierge, up to our discretion?

Unless you won a MoveUp bid from a cruise only fare to Retreat, the gratuity is included in your fare. Any additional gratuity is up to your discretion.

On 6/9/2023 at 6:24 AM, Sigyn said:

I'm interested in the advice you get - I'll have my first taste of the suite life in something like 26 or 27 days. On the Millennium, but still...

The Millie is a great ship, we will be in the Retreat for the TransPac in September. What's nice about the Millie is the Retreat sundeck is pretty large and there are only about 60 suites so it's never crowded. The Retreat lounge is also usually pretty quiet and a great place to relax. Have a great cruise!!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

The Millie is a great ship, we will be in the Retreat for the TransPac in September. What's nice about the Millie is the Retreat sundeck is pretty large and there are only about 60 suites so it's never crowded. The Retreat lounge is also usually pretty quiet and a great place to relax. Have a great cruise!!

We might decide soon about Millie, Aqua or Sky Suite.  Looks like Aqua has more storage.  But Sky Suite is tempting.  Negative is having to go downstairs to use the pool and hoping you can find a chair while down there.  Hopefully not many chair hogs.

Another negative is whether we can take full use of Luminae if excursions take us back to the ship after 1:30 or 2 pm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Another negative is whether we can take full use of Luminae if excursions take us back to the ship after 1:30 or 2 pm.

Well that’s easy. Assuming your excursions take place on port days, Luminae is not open for lunch those days. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

We might decide soon about Millie, Aqua or Sky Suite.  Looks like Aqua has more storage.  But Sky Suite is tempting.  Negative is having to go downstairs to use the pool and hoping you can find a chair while down there.  Hopefully not many chair hogs.

Luminae is closed for lunch on port days , wish they kept it open like rccl CK

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

RCCL CK is main restaurant or Suite restaurant?

Rccl CK is a suite only restaurant, but it is only on oasis class and newer , that’s another thing I like about Luminae it is on all the celebrity ships .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, George C said:

Rccl CK is a suite only restaurant, but it is only on oasis class and newer , that’s another thing I like about Luminae it is on all the celebrity ships .

Have you sailed on RCCL Oasis?  I just looked at an RCCL Asia cruise in a Junior suite.  On Oasis-class.  I was surprised how big the cabin was and how cheap it was.  $9K total versus $14K for X Sky Suite.

Now I was looking at a RCCL cruise THIS YEAR and didn’t see anything for next year.  So not sure when they publish prices for next year if at all.

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Have you sailed on RCCL Oasis?  I just looked at an RCCL Asia cruise in a Junior suite.  On Oasis-class.  I was surprised how big the cabin was and how cheap it was.  $9K total versus $14K for X Sky Suite.

Now I was looking at a RCCL cruise THIS YEAR and didn’t see anything for next year.  So not sure when they publish prices for next year if at all.

My only oasis cruise was in owners suite we normally book grand suites, I have seen junior suites and I like them , but not full perks like sky suite , only meal in suite restaurant is dinner , no suite happy hour etc.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

So if you search the posts you will see that chair hogs are still abundant in the Retreat and no one does anything about it.  As for Luminae it isn't open on port days either.  You can order food at the Retreat sun deck on the E class ships not sure about the others.  When we got back around 1:30 there were no "snacks" in the lounge and were told none until "tea time" at 3 or 3:30

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Junior suites do not get full suite perks. It is a few years now since we did Oasis class so hopefully someone else can confirm what you do/do not get in a junior suite. I seem to remember they had access to CK but not the suite lounge. As for the suite lounge on our cruise it was difficult to get a seat because it was full of elderly Pinnacles.

Re CK we found it very basic…Nothing like as good Luminae for food choice, service or ambiance and I am not a major Luminae fan!

When comparing suites on different lines it is easy to forget you usually want the full ship experience too. We found the entertainment on Oasis excellent, the food (even in the speciality restaurants) just OK. Don’t get me started on the Genie program, give me a butler any day!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

So if you search the posts you will see that chair hogs are still abundant in the Retreat and no one does anything about it.  As for Luminae it isn't open on port days either.  You can order food at the Retreat sun deck on the E class ships not sure about the others.  When we got back around 1:30 there were no "snacks" in the lounge and were told none until "tea time" at 3 or 3:30

If they have been revolutionized you can get a very limited lunch on outdoor retreat did that on summit a couple of times, no bar but waiter will bring food and drinks.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 7:34 AM, Mark.Jules said:

We took the plunge and are in a sky suite on our Apex cruise to Norway. Hearing the dos and don'ts of suite cruising intrigues me. I know so much is subjective and will keep this in mind.

What is your favorite aspect of being in a suite?

What do you wish you would have known about the suite life before your cruise?

What other advice do you give to a first time suite guest?

Looking forward to  reading your responses.

We just did a Sky Suite on the Apex to Norway in May.  

1) Favorite aspect, we did enjoy the lounge and the Retreat sun deck bar, however not sure how it would be on a full ship.  At the Captain's party there was barely a seat in the lounge.  Cold weather itinerary so the Retreat sun deck was usually empty. 

2) If you have any issues Do Not go to Guest Services, We got our hands smacked so to speak " You have a concierge and a butler do not come here"  I was shocked!  We were there about a refund on a shore excursion.

From our perspective I am not sure if we would do a suite again.  The cruise we were on only had 1962 guests so most of the venues were easy to get into. 

Luminae for us was a little disappointing in the number of choices, however look at the menu a day in advance, if you see nothing appealing ask if there is something else like a filet that you can order. 

Sailing into the fjords - remember there are some open sections on the Retreat Sun Deck without windows.  We went to the main resort deck and people were piled up 4 deep.  LOL I looked over and saw the door to the Retreat area.  Because we had been mostly in the front I didn't realize there was an area without glass above the rail.  It was fantastic.  

For lunch on a port day Luminae is not open for lunch but you can go up to the Retreat bar area and there is a menu for lunch.  With the cold itinerary we didn't realize there would be anything served there.  Also in the Retreat area there are lots of stadium blankets.  I took one back the room for going on our balcony LOL asked the butler for one and he brought us two blankets for the bed! 

If you are doing the fjords they are spectacular and if you are going to Flam we have heard the railway was fantastic.  Don't do the Viking Village (fake tour)

Have a fabulous cruise.

17 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

But lunch on sea days yes?  In Luminae?  And in Retreat sundeck there is a small menu, pretty limited but not sure of the time.  Millie has a small dining area.

But the biggest benefit is, you get to browse Cruise Critic while at the Retreat.  Isn’t that great?!  😂😂😂

On 6/9/2023 at 8:14 AM, dateacher said:

The layout of the cabin is better but I don't think it is any larger.  The bathroom is a major step up.  Love the retreat lounge and pool area.  It makes the cruise seem so much calmer when you are not around large crowds.  Love the option of eating at Luminae and Blu (yes we had no trouble eating in Blu with no reservations.)

All around better experience.  The one problem - once you do it, you don't want to go back.

Maybe, maybe not.  We did enjoy the additional space, mostly in the bathroom.  However, we weren't as impressed with Luminae as we expected.  Menu selections seemed limited.  The lounge on this cold weather itinerary was somewhat crowded somedays so we ended up going to the martini bar.  

We love the spaces on the E class ships and we are going to try a regular IV on the Ascent next April.  We were on the Equinox in January and after seeing the extent of the Retreat areas, I don't anticipate paying for Retreat on that class.  In fact already booked on her again next year in a Verandah.  For the difference we can eat in the Specialty restaurants almost every night and buy the premium beverage package and have $$ left over.

When I am booking I look at value for $$

18 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Maybe, maybe not.  We did enjoy the additional space, mostly in the bathroom.  However, we weren't as impressed with Luminae as we expected.  Menu selections seemed limited.  The lounge on this cold weather itinerary was somewhat crowded somedays so we ended up going to the martini bar.  

We love the spaces on the E class ships and we are going to try a regular IV on the Ascent next April.  We were on the Equinox in January and after seeing the extent of the Retreat areas, I don't anticipate paying for Retreat on that class.  In fact already booked on her again next year in a Verandah.  For the difference we can eat in the Specialty restaurants almost every night and buy the premium beverage package and have $$ left over.

When I am booking I look at value for $$

I get what you’re saying because I’m usually in Aqua class but sometimes I think about a veranda plus specialties.  That’s as far as I would go.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

But lunch on sea days yes?  In Luminae?  And in Retreat sundeck there is a small menu, pretty limited but not sure of the time.  Millie has a small dining area.

But the biggest benefit is, you get to browse Cruise Critic while at the Retreat.  Isn’t that great?!  😂😂😂

Yes on sea days but we didn’t have many and it’s limited hours. 
you could browse CC but we were too busy!  Love the E class ships

2 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Yes on sea days but we didn’t have many and it’s limited hours. 
you could browse CC but we were too busy!  Love the E class ships

We have MANY sea days on the Eclipse in December but we are with friends.  Plus we like our mid ship cabin and don’t want to move.   But if X accepted a low move up bid I might do it.

• Like 1