(Not quite live) from Iona - G318 - Fjords - 10th June

TigerB

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Did you ever reveal what a pattieslapper was?

Nobody came up with the answer, John.  I will tell it to just you though; don't share with anyone else on here.😉

Back in the day, when Hull was a major fishing port, a lot of the fish processing factories, or 'fish houses' as they were known, were based in the Hessle Road area, close to where the trawlers sailed from.

While the men folk went out on the trawlers, a lot of the women folk would work in the fish houses; they would do all sorts of jobs such as smoking fish, salting cod and making a local delicacy called a pattie.

A pattie is essentially a ball of mashed potatoes, sage and seasoning, which is flattened (slapped) by hand and deep fried. So, the term 'pattie slapper' refers to the women who would work in the fish houses, making the patties and processing the fish.

The traditional fish houses have long since disappeared, and these days the term 'pattie slapper' is frequently used as an insult, usually directed towards a rough and hard woman from the Hessle Road area.  "Listen to the gob on her, she's a right pattie slapper that one".

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Nobody came up with the answer, John.  I will tell it to just you though; don't share with anyone else on here.😉

Back in the day, when Hull was a major fishing port, a lot of the fish processing factories, or 'fish houses' as they were known, were based in the Hessle Road area, close to where the trawlers sailed from.

While the men folk went out on the trawlers, a lot of the women folk would work in the fish houses; they would do all sorts of jobs such as smoking fish, salting cod and making a local delicacy called a pattie.

A pattie is essentially a ball of mashed potatoes, sage and seasoning, which is flattened (slapped) by hand and deep fried. So, the term 'pattie slapper' refers to the women who would work in the fish houses, making the patties and processing the fish.

The traditional fish houses have long since disappeared, and these days the term 'pattie slapper' is frequently used as an insult, usually directed towards a rough and hard woman from the Hessle Road area.  "Listen to the gob on her, she's a right pattie slapper that one".

I know the term slapper, but that does not really fully fit with your meaning.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

The Patties sound nice.

I'm not a lover of them, but our lass and a couple of the kids are.

A lot of chippies around these parts have their own secret recipes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

I'm not a lover of them, but our lass and a couple of the kids are.

A lot of chippies around these parts have their own secret recipes.

They call them Fish Cakes in the civilised west of the county, aren't patties the name the Yanks give to  burgers?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

They call them Fish Cakes in the civilised west of the county, aren't patties the name the Yanks give to  burgers?

Well, if you Wessies only put mashed taties, sage and seasoning in your fish cakes, I don't think I'll be visiting your chippies.😉

• Haha 1

Would also be interested to hear more about the shuttle in Haugesund.  I'm not in a wheel chair but I struggle with longer walks and particularly on inclines, so that would be great if there was a way to get out and about.  Nice to read this review - definitely whetting the appetite for next month!

• Like 1

@purplesea  and other interested parties; I hope this will this assist you...

Haugesund - options for getting from the cruise berth to the shopping area or the quayside with a wheelchair:

There are no shuttle buses provided by P&O, but there is a local shuttle bus, which picks up very close to the ship.  I'm not sure where it drops off, but is somewhere in the town centre.  It costs NOK70 (currently £5.13) for a return, and runs every fifteen minutes.  Every bus I saw could accommodate at least one large wheelchair, with access at the middle of the bus.

There is a Hop-on/Hop-off bus, which does a tour of the town and goes farther afield, but I'm not sure where.  I don't know how much that costs.

There is a land choo-choo, which does a tour of the town centre; I'm not sure if it goes farther afield.  I don't know if there is more than one, but the one I saw could accommodate a small/medium wheelchair at the back.  I don't know how much it costs.

For us, we walked/bouled to the quayside, but our lass does have a power chair.  We saw folk in manual wheelchairs do it, and for the pushers it was easier for some than others, depending on their age and fitness, and the combined weight of the wheelchair and user.

There are some gradients to contend with, but they are no problem for a power chair.   There are also some rough areas on the footpaths, but not that many.  For us, the biggest obstacles to contend with were several steep dropped kerbs, and the camber of the footpaths.

The below maps show the most straightforward route.

Step 1:

Follow everyone else walking along Garpeskjærvegan.  Most will walk along the footpath on the right, which appeared to be smooth and well maintained.  It was though chock-a-block with folk, so, for fear of our lass taking out a few ankles, we took the footpath on the left. 

At the end of that footpath, at the right-hand bend, we crossed over Fløttmannsgata and on to Jens Risøens gate, which runs parallels to Garpeskjærvegan.  That is a quiet residential street with a dead-end at the top, so there was no traffic; we walked/bouled to the end and crossed Vågsgata and headed towards the bottom of the bridge, Risøy broen.

Up to this point there is a slight uphill gradient, but it is easily manageable.

Step1(plain).jpg.2c1552e496b0feb69dc5ac5c97e6e509.jpg

Step1(sat).jpg.287a02437b8180c21f2b5a4462e1bfc9.jpg

Step 2:

Cross over the bridge, keeping to the left footpath.  The uphill gradient to the summit is steep, so could be a struggle for some if pushing a wheelchair.  The path is about 1.5 metres wide, and can accommodate two wheelchairs no more than about 60cm passing, with care.  Be mindful of the camber on this footpath, and try and stick to the water side, so folk can pass on the kerb side; that is safer for the wheelchair user.

Step2(plain).jpg.3598d1dbb47ea0511a51cc2ca13c440a.jpg

Step2(sat).jpg.90ac935f98ff070c3ee031de1c409887.jpg

Step 3:

At the other side of the bridge it is a steep downhill gradient, so be careful, and watch for the camber on the footpath as it bends to the left.

You will now be on Skippergata; if you want the shopping area, continue along Skippergata to the junction with Haraldsgata.  It will take about fifteen minutes from the berth to this point, about five minute more if you are pushing a wheelchair.

We wanted to go to the quayside first, so turned left from Skippergata onto Strandgata.  We walked/bouled along Strandgata until we got to the junction with Torggata; the Bank Hotel is on the right. 

Step3(plain).jpg.0ecda6bd6db743d1f82fdf9ab485afc6.jpg

Step3(sat).jpg.c8a06e467f7308db1e9515361a529b96.jpg

We turned left onto Torgatta, which is the only suitable route to the quayside for a wheelchair. It has a downhill gradient, but wasn't that bad. 

Torggata.jpg.557df6c63ff4777120eeb10b1eda9d01.jpg

It took us twenty minutes from the berth to the quayside.

The quayside has cobbles, so not ideal for most wheelchairs; there are paved areas either side.

Quayside.jpg.0a8344241d643b43a0c64070b9680213.jpg

Continue along the quayside and there is a boardwalk at the water's edge.

IMG_20230615_120651443_HDR.thumb.jpg.87bcbad59e4e09fd23b63441d2003fc1.jpg

The bridge...

Bridge.thumb.jpg.6008338f77c2b707b50e215b0b3f600e.jpg

A view of Torggata from the quayside, looking up to Strandgata.

Torggata2.thumb.jpg.4f8e3a9eceea3f2c0afadf04bb30ddbf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 6/15/2023 at 9:40 PM, Ilovemygarden said:

Michelle - watch out for any images of tropical fruit on the cabin doors!  

Michelle - I’ve just been browsing the roll calls and see that that TigerB is on the same Britannia cruise as I am in September so I shall be able to report back any dodgy onboard behaviour relating to tropical fruit, pole dancing etc. that I come across!😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, TigerB said:

@purplesea  and other interested parties; I hope this will this assist you...

Haugesund - options for getting from the cruise berth to the shopping area or the quayside with a wheelchair:

There are no shuttle buses provided by P&O, but there is a local shuttle bus, which picks up very close to the ship.  I'm not sure where it drops off, but is somewhere in the town centre.  It costs NOK70 (currently £5.13) for a return, and runs every fifteen minutes.  Every bus I saw could accommodate at least one large wheelchair, with access at the middle of the bus.

There is a Hop-on/Hop-off bus, which does a tour of the town and goes farther afield, but I'm not sure where.  I don't know how much that costs.

There is a land choo-choo, which does a tour of the town centre; I'm not sure if it goes farther afield.  I don't know if there is more than one, but the one I saw could accommodate a small/medium wheelchair at the back.  I don't know how much it costs.

For us, we walked/bouled to the quayside, but our lass does have a power chair.  We saw folk in manual wheelchairs do it, and for the pushers it was easier for some than others, depending on their age and fitness, and the combined weight of the wheelchair and user.

There are some gradients to contend with, but they are no problem for a power chair.   There are also some rough areas on the footpaths, but not that many.  For us, the biggest obstacles to contend with were several steep dropped kerbs, and the camber of the footpaths.

The below maps show the most straightforward route.

Step 1:

Follow everyone else walking along Garpeskjærvegan.  Most will walk along the footpath on the right, which appeared to be smooth and well maintained.  It was though chock-a-block with folk, so, for fear of our lass taking out a few ankles, we took the footpath on the left. 

At the end of that footpath, at the right-hand bend, we crossed over Fløttmannsgata and on to Jens Risøens gate, which runs parallels to Garpeskjærvegan.  That is a quiet residential street with a dead-end at the top, so there was no traffic; we walked/bouled to the end and crossed Vågsgata and headed towards the bottom of the bridge, Risøy broen.

Up to this point there is a slight uphill gradient, but it is easily manageable.

Step1(plain).jpg.2c1552e496b0feb69dc5ac5c97e6e509.jpg

Step1(sat).jpg.287a02437b8180c21f2b5a4462e1bfc9.jpg

Step 2:

Cross over the bridge, keeping to the left footpath.  The uphill gradient to the summit is steep, so could be a struggle for some if pushing a wheelchair.  The path is about 1.5 metres wide, and can accommodate two wheelchairs no more than about 60cm passing, with care.  Be mindful of the camber on this footpath, and try and stick to the water side, so folk can pass on the kerb side; that is safer for the wheelchair user.

Step2(plain).jpg.3598d1dbb47ea0511a51cc2ca13c440a.jpg

Step2(sat).jpg.90ac935f98ff070c3ee031de1c409887.jpg

Step 3:

At the other side of the bridge it is a steep downhill gradient, so be careful, and watch for the camber on the footpath as it bends to the left.

You will now be on Skippergata; if you want the shopping area, continue along Skippergata to the junction with Haraldsgata.  It will take about fifteen minutes from the berth to this point, about five minute more if you are pushing a wheelchair.

We wanted to go to the quayside first, so turned left from Skippergata onto Strandgata.  We walked/bouled along Strandgata until we got to the junction with Torggata; the Bank Hotel is on the right. 

Step3(plain).jpg.0ecda6bd6db743d1f82fdf9ab485afc6.jpg

Step3(sat).jpg.c8a06e467f7308db1e9515361a529b96.jpg

We turned left onto Torgatta, which is the only suitable route to the quayside for a wheelchair. It has a downhill gradient, but wasn't that bad. 

Torggata.jpg.557df6c63ff4777120eeb10b1eda9d01.jpg

It took us twenty minutes from the berth to the quayside.

The quayside has cobbles, so not ideal for most wheelchairs; there are paved areas either side.

Quayside.jpg.0a8344241d643b43a0c64070b9680213.jpg

Continue along the quayside and there is a boardwalk at the water's edge.

IMG_20230615_120651443_HDR.thumb.jpg.87bcbad59e4e09fd23b63441d2003fc1.jpg

The bridge...

Bridge.thumb.jpg.6008338f77c2b707b50e215b0b3f600e.jpg

A view of Torggata from the quayside, looking up to Strandgata.

Torggata2.thumb.jpg.4f8e3a9eceea3f2c0afadf04bb30ddbf.jpg

Many thanks. Mum has a manual wheelchair, so I am pusher! Will digest this in detail later. (As I'm recovering from stereotactic radiation treatment myself at present my brain has been addled!)

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Michelle - I’ve just been browsing the roll calls and see that that TigerB is on the same Britannia cruise as I am in September so I shall be able to report back any dodgy onboard behaviour relating to tropical fruit, pole dancing etc. that I come across!😂

Sorry to disappoint you, but you won't have that pleasure; I've just cancelled that cruise due to a family event clash. Luckily, only lost £100.

Feel free though to take part in your own late night tropical fruit shenanigans!🤭

• Haha 3

@Selbourne  I didn't forget...

Horizon - 10th June.pdf

Horizon - 11th June.pdf

Horizon - 12th June.pdf

Horizon - 13th June.pdf

Horizon - 14th June.pdf

Horizon - 15th June.pdf

Horizon - 16th June.pdf

We're in Halifax on Tuesday afternoon and evening, so it will be Wednesday before I sort the tasting menus, unless I get a chance in the morning

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, TigerB said:

You are an absolute star. Thank you so much. 

10 hours ago, TigerB said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but you won't have that pleasure; I've just cancelled that cruise due to a family event clash. Luckily, only lost £100.

Feel free though to take part in your own late night tropical fruit shenanigans!🤭

Oh well - I’ll just have to book the Limelight Club for entertainment!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

You are an absolute star. Thank you so much. 

You're welcome🙂

Do they download okay?  I can open them on my laptop, but not on my tablet; that may be down to a software issue on my tablet though.

1 minute ago, TigerB said:

You're welcome🙂

Do they download okay?  I can open them on my laptop, but not on my tablet; that may be down to a software issue on my tablet though.

I’m out and about, but tried the first one on my iPhone and it downloaded fine. This will be extremely useful in determining the best times for dinner reservations (on the assumption that it will be virtually the same for our cruise). Once again, sincere thanks. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Oh well - I’ll just have to book the Limelight Club for entertainment!  

I'm pleased to report plenty of poles in the one on Arvia so perhaps TigerB could headline there when he has the time.

• Haha 9

10 hours ago, TigerB said:

I am in Halifax on Thursday visiting daughter & grandchildren, a popular place!!

Michelle

20 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I am in Halifax on Thursday visiting daughter & grandchildren, a popular place!!

Michelle

We will be at Piece Hall; going to see QOTSA.

Epicurean Norwegian Tasting Menu - 14th June

Selbourne, I’m sorry you’ve had to suffer my preceding diatribe to get to what you really desire, the full gen on the tasting menu.😉

Before I start, I want to get something off my chest...

I think most folk will agree with me, some though may feel I am being a little prudish, but I really don’t care; I say it how it is, and this is how it is...

Whatever night it is, motif and band t-shirts have no place in the Epicurean.  Ironically, the two lasses with these two guys were really well dressed.  The two blokes, in my opinion, were just poseurs, showing off their guns!

Rant over!

Back to the main event...

I think I’ve let it known once or twice previously that we really wanted to try this menu.  We love Epicurean anyway, but we hoped this would elevate our experience to a higher plain. 

It is one of those meals where, if you really want to try it, and you want a window table, you need to be still up when the restaurant reservations are released just after midnight.  I was.

Here is the menu you can see online:

Menu from online.pdf

Our reservation was for 18:30 on the day we cruised from Hellesylt; according to the online menu, it is always on the fifth day; so, unless the itinerary changes, the scenery will be the same, depending on the reservation time, and of course the weather.

We arrived at 18:15 and were seated straightaway at a window table.

Our all female waiting team consisted of Jerlyn, assisted by Aljen.  They were fantastic throughout, and worked really well together; like two halves of a whole.

This is the menu we were given in the restaurant, with wine recommendations:

Restaurant Menu - with wine.pdf

Restaurant Menu - with wine - veg.pdf

The wines are priced as per the main wine list.  Looking around, I couldn’t see anyone near us choosing the recommended wines.  Our lass was just on water, and I had a couple of large glasses of an Australian Chardonnay.

Although there are two separate menus, a mixed one and a strictly vegetarian one, you are free to mix and match from both.  I am a pescatarian, so had everything from the vegetarian menu apart from the fish course from the mixed menu, which replaced my salad course.  Our lass had everything from the mixed menu except for the main as she does not eat lamb; she instead had the vegetarian main.

So, the meal...

Disclaimer:

I apologise for the photos of the views; I had words with Captain Dunlop about the dirty windows.  Our lass had words with the photographer about the reflections.

I also apologise for the food photos, in case they make you salivate this wet Tuesday, as you prepare your cheese and pickle butty for lunch.

Amuse

Me...

IMG_20230614_183557747_HDR.thumb.jpg.8bd59cdf5712690d4fde0cd1bbf9ae02.jpgIMG_20230614_182439797.thumb.jpg.7d0713f066f985168bd3667e50707915.jpg

The missus...

IMG_20230614_183551830_HDR.thumb.jpg.73c2366011bfca95fffc274d86595812.jpgIMG_20230614_182308805.thumb.jpg.0c6c4b5220c1b8a7610295b4d881657b.jpg

Starter

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_184830968_HDR.thumb.jpg.4985ff7450b252743f86f74e9d6d05e7.jpgIMG_20230614_182312583.thumb.jpg.f44279cf3ec2730581e7fa00eadce2ea.jpg

Fish Course

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_185626932_HDR.thumb.jpg.7cc62eef03b3b33bb057d047c0b5fa45.jpgIMG_20230614_182318765.thumb.jpg.dccec9ab823e57cab394c630b818eed2.jpg

Our view at this time...

Viewforfishcourse.thumb.jpg.b888cf1218545ea3d75260cdc3def5cb.jpg

Main Course

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_191624436_HDR.thumb.jpg.acf0bebcba36e47b04b499176e3fd620.jpgIMG_20230614_191628661_HDR.thumb.jpg.4204906faf8ed8cf130fb5b4b04323c6.jpgIMG_20230614_182445374.thumb.jpg.99e9f2fb898f23ad60e6dc5904da9f83.jpg

Our view just before...

Viewjustbeforemain.thumb.jpg.00cf70594745487da4640ce7c332f984.jpg

Pre-dessert

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_195148344_HDR.thumb.jpg.0176c27eec8aa701c622a38f7069d669.jpgIMG_20230614_182342064.thumb.jpg.cf9c19e2e8a7571581240c1ec11a1679.jpg

Our view just before...

Viewjustbeforepre-dessert.thumb.jpg.c98c13e1992e90d9aaf46ce2a71679ce.jpg

Dessert

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_200636748_HDR.thumb.jpg.06ab4a218fd3fec9b336f9a73969a2ae.jpgIMG_20230614_182344894.thumb.jpg.8ee5c010ea34763a6076f0937af17064.jpg

Our view at this time...

Viewfordessert.thumb.jpg.a39cf153028df198e6dc51c4fe24d9d8.jpg

Petit Fours (with coffee)

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_201433657.thumb.jpg.178a22736c1ffaecaafd5b64ba5efdfc.jpgIMG_20230614_182346914.thumb.jpg.e76fa19062b97dfaccf648b516c47917.jpg

Our view at this time...

Viewforcoffee.thumb.jpg.e27202cf05f2d14255ba6907ac54e6ff.jpg

Our view just before we left...

Viewatend.thumb.jpg.959abd69b48817b03ae0e251ebd5d1a3.jpg

Selbourne, I know you like to eat later than this but, if you want to enjoy a relaxed meal with beautiful views, I would recommend you booking an early reservation; probably no later than 18:30.

By 18:40 all window tables were occupied.  It was only as we were having coffee, at 20:15, that they reset just two of the window tables, that I could see.  This cruise no longer takes in Geraingerfjord; you sail up Sunnylvsfjorden and then along Storfjorden.  When we left the restaurant at 20:25, we were just entering the open sea.

This meal was absolutely fantastic, and at £22 each (after pre-booking and Penisular discount), represented excellent value for money.

I loved everything.  There were a couple of things that were a bit hit and miss for our lass, but I won’t say what they were; I don’t want anyone to go in with any pre-conceptions.

If I've whet your appetite, then book and enjoy...

If I haven't, the buffet will be open!😉

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Epicurean Norwegian Tasting Menu - 14th June

Selbourne, I’m sorry you’ve had to suffer my preceding diatribe to get to what you really desire, the full gen on the tasting menu.😉

Before I start, I want to get something off my chest...

I think most folk will agree with me, some though may feel I am being a little prudish, but I really don’t care; I say it how it is, and this is how it is...

Whatever night it is, motif and band t-shirts have no place in the Epicurean.  Ironically, the two lasses with these two guys were really well dressed.  The two blokes, in my opinion, were just poseurs, showing off their guns!

Rant over!

Back to the main event...

I think I’ve let it known once or twice previously that we really wanted to try this menu.  We love Epicurean anyway, but we hoped this would elevate our experience to a higher plain. 

It is one of those meals where, if you really want to try it, and you want a window table, you need to be still up when the restaurant reservations are released just after midnight.  I was.

Here is the menu you can see online:

Menu from online.pdf 7.57 MB · 1 download

Our reservation was for 18:30 on the day we cruised from Hellesylt; according to the online menu, it is always on the fifth day; so, unless the itinerary changes, the scenery will be the same, depending on the reservation time, and of course the weather.

We arrived at 18:15 and were seated straightaway at a window table.

Our all female waiting team consisted of Jerlyn, assisted by Aljen.  They were fantastic throughout, and worked really well together; like two halves of a whole.

This is the menu we were given in the restaurant, with wine recommendations:

Restaurant Menu - with wine.pdf 2.38 MB · 2 downloads

Restaurant Menu - with wine - veg.pdf 2.19 MB · 2 downloads

The wines are priced as per the main wine list.  Looking around, I couldn’t see anyone near us choosing the recommended wines.  Our lass was just on water, and I had a couple of large glasses of an Australian Chardonnay.

Although there are two separate menus, a mixed one and a strictly vegetarian one, you are free to mix and match from both.  I am a pescatarian, so had everything from the vegetarian menu apart from the fish course from the mixed menu, which replaced my salad course.  Our lass had everything from the mixed menu except for the main as she does not eat lamb; she instead had the vegetarian main.

So, the meal...

Disclaimer:

I apologise for the photos of the views; I had words with Captain Dunlop about the dirty windows.  Our lass had words with the photographer about the reflections.

I also apologise for the food photos, in case they make you salivate this wet Tuesday, as you prepare your cheese and pickle butty for lunch.

Amuse

Me...

IMG_20230614_183557747_HDR.thumb.jpg.8bd59cdf5712690d4fde0cd1bbf9ae02.jpgIMG_20230614_182439797.thumb.jpg.7d0713f066f985168bd3667e50707915.jpg

The missus...

IMG_20230614_183551830_HDR.thumb.jpg.73c2366011bfca95fffc274d86595812.jpgIMG_20230614_182308805.thumb.jpg.0c6c4b5220c1b8a7610295b4d881657b.jpg

Starter

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_184830968_HDR.thumb.jpg.4985ff7450b252743f86f74e9d6d05e7.jpgIMG_20230614_182312583.thumb.jpg.f44279cf3ec2730581e7fa00eadce2ea.jpg

Fish Course

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_185626932_HDR.thumb.jpg.7cc62eef03b3b33bb057d047c0b5fa45.jpgIMG_20230614_182318765.thumb.jpg.dccec9ab823e57cab394c630b818eed2.jpg

Our view at this time...

Viewforfishcourse.thumb.jpg.b888cf1218545ea3d75260cdc3def5cb.jpg

Main Course

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_191624436_HDR.thumb.jpg.acf0bebcba36e47b04b499176e3fd620.jpgIMG_20230614_191628661_HDR.thumb.jpg.4204906faf8ed8cf130fb5b4b04323c6.jpgIMG_20230614_182445374.thumb.jpg.99e9f2fb898f23ad60e6dc5904da9f83.jpg

Our view just before...

Viewjustbeforemain.thumb.jpg.00cf70594745487da4640ce7c332f984.jpg

Pre-dessert

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_195148344_HDR.thumb.jpg.0176c27eec8aa701c622a38f7069d669.jpgIMG_20230614_182342064.thumb.jpg.cf9c19e2e8a7571581240c1ec11a1679.jpg

Our view just before...

Viewjustbeforepre-dessert.thumb.jpg.c98c13e1992e90d9aaf46ce2a71679ce.jpg

Dessert

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_200636748_HDR.thumb.jpg.06ab4a218fd3fec9b336f9a73969a2ae.jpgIMG_20230614_182344894.thumb.jpg.8ee5c010ea34763a6076f0937af17064.jpg

Our view at this time...

Viewfordessert.thumb.jpg.a39cf153028df198e6dc51c4fe24d9d8.jpg

Petit Fours (with coffee)

Both of us...

IMG_20230614_201433657.thumb.jpg.178a22736c1ffaecaafd5b64ba5efdfc.jpgIMG_20230614_182346914.thumb.jpg.e76fa19062b97dfaccf648b516c47917.jpg

Our view at this time...

Viewforcoffee.thumb.jpg.e27202cf05f2d14255ba6907ac54e6ff.jpg

Our view just before we left...

Viewatend.thumb.jpg.959abd69b48817b03ae0e251ebd5d1a3.jpg

Selbourne, I know you like to eat later than this but, if you want to enjoy a relaxed meal with beautiful views, I would recommend you booking an early reservation; probably no later than 18:30.

By 18:40 all window tables were occupied.  It was only as we were having coffee, at 20:15, that they reset just two of the window tables, that I could see.  This cruise no longer takes in Geraingerfjord; you sail up Sunnylvsfjorden and then along Storfjorden.  When we left the restaurant at 20:25, we were just entering the open sea.

This meal was absolutely fantastic, and at £22 each (after pre-booking and Penisular discount), represented excellent value for money.

I loved everything.  There were a couple of things that were a bit hit and miss for our lass, but I won’t say what they were; I don’t want anyone to go in with any pre-conceptions.

If I've whet your appetite, then book and enjoy...

If I haven't, the buffet will be open!😉

That looks amazing, my type of food on a cruise 

Michelle