Sleeping in another cabin

ski_mom

We currently have 4 rooms booked for 10 people - 2 cabins with 2 people and 2 cabins with 3 people.

We are wanting to move the third person in one of the 3 person cabins to one of the 2 person cabins.

Can they just sleep in the other room, or would that cause any problems?  On Carnival, we have just gotten an extra room key so it hasn't been an issue, but with the medallions, I'm not sure how that would work.  

Do all the rooms have the 3rd berth?  Not all cabins do so that is the first thing you need to check.  If it does, no problem, tell guest services and they will set the medallion to open the right cabin.  If you are not on the ship yet, have the names changed around on who is in what cabin would be simplest.

Edited by Joy_K
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The title of this thread conjures up all kinds of "interesting" plot lines....😀

Agreed.  My knee jerk response was "Sure, if your spouse doesn't mind"😁

• Haha 7

58 minutes ago, Joy_K said:

Do all the rooms have the 3rd berth?  Not all cabins do so that is the first thing you need to check.  If it does, no problem, tell guest services and they will set the medallion to open the right cabin.  If you are not on the ship yet, have the names changed around on who is in what cabin would be simplest.

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The most important criteria will be if the "other" room (with 2) has a berth for third.  No issues if you have 4 mini-suites booked.  

The alternative is to leave the 3rd person where they are and switch the couples.  (I realize the OP did not indicate if all cabins are the same category or if in proximity to one another).

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The alternative is to leave the 3rd person where they are and switch the couples.  (I realize the OP did not indicate if all cabins are the same category or if in proximity to one another).

Exactly what I was trying to write, but could not find the words to adequately explain how to do this.  As always, you have the gift of words.  Thank you.  

The only consideration is category that everyone is in.  Will it satisfy the whole?

• Like 1

Since the cabin steward will have extra work with a third person it would be best if you had the person added to the room officially so the gratuities for that room would then be for 3 people not 2.  If the rooms are close enough so the same steward services both then of course that issue is moot.  

• Like 3

Thank you all so much!

I'm lol-ing at the comments about wondering what the title was implying haha!!

Both cabins do hold 3 people, so we're good there.

I called to just officially have the rooms switched, but they said they couldn't because our sailing was sold out.  Even if they cancelled her in one reservation, it wouldn't allow them to add her to the other.

I hadn't thought about just moving the couple, but one of the rooms is a handicap accessible room because my mom will have a scooter, so she's not able to switch to the other room.

I'm glad to hear that they can just program the medallions to open both doors.  They may just get all medallions to open both doors.  We will definitely talk to the stewards about the move.

I'm not the best at vacationing with multiple families and just worry too much about things not going smoothly.  You all help me feel better - thank you!

3 minutes ago, ski_mom said:

Thank you all so much!

I'm not the best at vacationing with multiple families and just worry too much about things not going smoothly.  You all help me feel better - thank you!

a cruise is a great way for multiple family groups to travel together as everyone can pick the things they like to do & spend as much or as little time together as they wish...make sure that you take the breaks you need & do things you enjoy & don't wear yourself out worrying about everyone else...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

a cruise is a great way for multiple family groups to travel together as everyone can pick the things they like to do & spend as much or as little time together as they wish...make sure that you take the breaks you need & do things you enjoy & don't wear yourself out worrying about everyone else...

Thank you for that comment and I agree - I know my comment sounded negative and that's not really how I feel.  I'm getting to travel with my family of 5 (my husband, daughters 26 & 25 and son 20), my sister's family (her, her husband and two daughters 18 & 14) and my mom.

I just worry too much about it because my family travels more, so I tend to be the one to handle all of the details. My sister's family is not nearly as "go with the flow" as my family so things that we wouldn't worry about or wouldn't bother us in the least tend to be bigger deals with them.  I know it will be a great trip and we always have fun together.  We all live in the same town and see each other often. 

Thanks again for the reassuring comment!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ski_mom said:

Thank you for that comment and I agree - I know my comment sounded negative and that's not really how I feel.  I'm getting to travel with my family of 5 (my husband, daughters 26 & 25 and son 20), my sister's family (her, her husband and two daughters 18 & 14) and my mom.

I just worry too much about it because my family travels more, so I tend to be the one to handle all of the details. My sister's family is not nearly as "go with the flow" as my family so things that we wouldn't worry about or wouldn't bother us in the least tend to be bigger deals with them.  I know it will be a great trip and we always have fun together.  We all live in the same town and see each other often. 

you didn't sound negative at all...I just know how much it can be when you are the one trying to juggle all the details for a group...sounds like a great group & I am sure you will have so much fun together & make wonderful memories!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ski_mom said:

What about letting your sister handle some of it, especially if they are not go with the flow type. That way, she can take responsibility for what she planned, and you get to relax a bit. 
I love a vacation where I do not have to plan anything, and it did it once with my sisters. Best vacation ever, but you have to be in that mind set.  I usually like to be the one in control of everything, but I kept my mouth shut when things were different than what I what I would have done. I just handed over my share of the costs, and let it be…

Edited by Happiest when cruising
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ski_mom said:

I'm glad to hear that they can just program the medallions to open both doors.  They may just get all medallions to open both doors.  We will definitely talk to the stewards about the move.

Solution is simple now.  Just go to Guest Services when you board and explain who in cabin XYZ is now moving to cabin ABC and they can update the system accordingly and alter the Medallion programming to open only the new correct door if you prefer.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

you didn't sound negative at all...I just know how much it can be when you are the one trying to juggle all the details for a group...sounds like a great group & I am sure you will have so much fun together & make wonderful memories!

Thanks!  I'm sure we will!  By the way - I love your user name!  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

What about letting your sister handle some of it, especially if they are not go with the flow type. That way, she can take responsibility for what she planned, and you get to relax a bit. 
I love a vacation where I do not have to plan anything, and it did it once with my sisters. Best vacation ever, but you have to be in that mind set.  I usually like to be the one in control of everything, but I kept my mouth shut when things were different than what I what I would have done. I just handed over my share of the costs, and let it be…

True - we are actually meeting this afternoon to iron everything out.  

I'm with you though.  My husband has some trips he can earn through work and that's how we are on them.  We go to great places, but I don't research or plan anything.  I just get on the plane and go where they tell us!  It's so relaxing - even though I may do some things differently, it's so easy!

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 4:49 PM, travelin.sisters said:

customer service can (& will easily) program the medallions to open different doors as long as one person from each cabin is there when you ask (we travel as 3 in 2 cabins & always have all our medallions set to open both cabins)

Such a good tip! I didn't know that. Thank you!  This would have saved me a lot of trouble from knocking on the door and waiting outside on my last cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You do absolutely want to do this once onboard as trying to do it beforehand will, as you learned, require actually changing the bookings which creates $$ issues.

A quick stop by Guest Services with the people (and the medallions) involved is all you need to do.

It is important you actually get the medallions tied to the right people in the right cabins to keep the statements correct.

Enjoy your cruise!

Guest services can make any medallion open any door you ask. Of course they need the person whose door you want to open to be present and consenting. I’ve done this multiple times. 

Medallions being programed to open other cabins will in no way affect statements or billing. 

17 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

e medallions tied to the right people in the right cabins to keep the statements correct