Chefs Parade

kevcharben

Just returned from cruise on Aurora.

On the last night in the restaurant, they announced they would resurrect the tradition of the chefs parading through the restaurant with all guest showing their appreciation. (waving of white napkins)

Apparently this was last done back in 2016/17.

It seemed to go down very well with everyone, I wonder if this will be limited to the Aurora or the tpher ships will do it as well?

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, kevcharben said:

On the last night in the restaurant, they announced they would resurrect the tradition of the chefs parading through the restaurant with all guest showing their appreciation. (waving of white napkins)

It seemed to go down very well with everyone, I wonder if this will be limited to the Aurora or the tpher ships will do it as well?

That's nice to hear, they were still doing it in 2018/19 on Aurora. 

I believe the reason they stopped was because of the potential spreading of germs. 

Andy 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kevcharben said:

They did it on Sky Princess in April so perhaps they are reinstating on all ships.  It was hit and miss as to whether or not you saw it because  the freedom dining means that some early miss it because they leave before the parade starts.  

1 hour ago, kevcharben said:

I wonder if this will be limited to the Aurora or the tpher ships will do it as well?

Personally I would hope that it was a one off and never seen again. No problem with the parade but I cannot stand the waving of napkins in the air - has to be one of the most unhygienic practices that there is.

35 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

They did it on Sky Princess in April

In May it was done in the Piazza - not the restaurant.

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I believe the reason they stopped was because of the potential spreading of germs. 

Would that be the germs from the food debris and bodily fluids kindly showered over you by nearby guests waving the napkins that they have used to catch their food spills and blow their noses with? 🤢😂

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Would that be the germs from the food debris and bodily fluids kindly showered over you by nearby guests waving the napkins that they have used to catch their food spills and blow their noses with? 🤢😂

Perhaps we could start wearing masks again just so we can have the parade 😷🤣

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I've participated in several and still here. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, kevcharben said:

I've just checked a couple of my horizons from 2018 and 2019 and they were still doing it then - so its odd that they would refer to 2016/17. It was stopped due to Covid.

Its worth saying it had been restricted to cruises of 10/12 days+ before then form memory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I've just checked a couple of my horizons from 2018 and 2019 and they were still doing it then - so its odd that they would refer to 2016/17. It was stopped due to Covid.

Its worth saying it had been restricted to cruises of 10/12 days+ before then form memory.

It was stopped prior to Covid on some cruises. On others it did happen but no napkin waving, particularly if there was a concern over noro. It is decision made by Captain with medical team and restaurant staff on a case by case basis.

10 minutes ago, david63 said:

Just stop it completely - no need for it.

If you go to a restaurant for a meal do all the kitchen staff come out and parade?

I just like the old traditions to remind me that I am on a cruise and that it is a cruise line with history. Then again I love history.

Just had a thought ..

If they want to invent a line with no links with history and seen as new for a new generation, why not just call it Ocean Village. Oh, whoops, silly me, haven't they already done that before and moved us all to P&O and are now changing P&O to .... cruises for those that don't do cruises. Mmmmmmm.

All those years ago, the plan was hatched ...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I just like the old traditions to remind me that I am on a cruise and that it is a cruise line with history. Then again I love history.

Just had a thought ..

If they want to invent a line with no links with history and seen as new for a new generation, why not just call it Ocean Village. Oh, whoops, silly me, haven't they already done that before and moved us all to P&O and are now changing P&O to .... cruises for those that don't do cruises. Mmmmmmm.

All those years ago, the plan was hatched ...........

No one seems to like tradition these days. I’m not fussed about the napkin waving, but in the past it was always a way of showing our appreciation for the wonderful food that we had been served. But in those days you ate almost all meals in MDR and the food was always excellent. No pagers, apps or queues…….

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

PS The Great British Sailaway .. don't all shout at me at once

Haven't seen one of those on P&O since the entertainment team on Azura decided to encourage the crowd to make football type chants of who are you to the bemused Germans on a TUI ship next door - think it was around 2017.  Large number of complaints were made and an apology had to be issued onboard the following day.  The next time at sailaway with a ship next door they started the We Will Rock You chant that seemed to be in place until the pandemic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Haven't seen one of those on P&O since the entertainment team on Azura decided to encourage the crowd to make football type chants of who are you to the bemused Germans on a TUI ship next door - think it was around 2017.  Large number of complaints were made and an apology had to be issued onboard the following day.  The next time at sailaway with a ship next door they started the We Will Rock You chant that seemed to be in place until the pandemic.

Sailaways on Britannia in October. I would much sooner have a sailaway than watch the cooks parading around in front of folk who have spent the whole cruise complaining about the food.🤣

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

Sailaways on Britannia in October. I would much sooner have a sailaway than watch the cooks parading around in front of folk who have spent the whole cruise complaining about the food.🤣

Yes, sailaways are back but I actually was referring to The Great British Sailaway resplendent with Union flags, Last Night of the Proms etc.  I assume over the Coronation it made a return in that form but I haven't seen a sailaway in that format on a P&O ship apart from a big royal occasion for a number of years and as I say the last one was on Azura in 2017.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, sailaways are back but I actually was referring to The Great British Sailaway resplendent with Union flags, Last Night of the Proms etc.  I assume over the Coronation it made a return in that form but I haven't seen a sailaway in that format on a P&O ship apart from a big royal occasion for a number of years and as I say the last one was on Azura in 2017.

July 2018 on Britannia in the Fjords. Full Union flags and rule Britannia.

33 minutes ago, zap99 said:

July 2018 on Britannia in the Fjords. Full Union flags and rule Britannia.

Britannia Christmas 2018 was the first cruise I'd been on in the Caribbean without it.  I think it possibly now wouldn't suit the "new" demographic.   Another sign of the times changing perhaps. 

Personally I'm not a fan of sailaway parties and can take or leave them however I did enjoy the enthusiasm for 4th July on Regal Princess last year which was just a big party. QM2 had a traditional sailaway for the Coronation, flags as well which were better quality and not plastic.  We were asked to keep them for reuse.