The Catch by Rui Food Recommendations

Jeter02

For those who have officially tried the Catch by Rui, Are there any standout dishes or anything in particular that you would recommend as a must try?

Edited by Jeter02

• Jeter02 changed the title to The Catch by Rui Food Recommendations
47 minutes ago, david63 said:

The Seafood Tower starter is probably the best starter (although recommendations are always subjective) and steer well clear of the crepe suzettes

The crepes don't sound like anything special as they already serve them in the main dining room.

The filet and lobster tail on the Enchanted were much better than the steak I got in the Crown. The appetizers were very good and they were very large portions especially the calamari.  The atmosphere was much more quiet and relaxed inside too.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, david63 said:

The Seafood Tower starter is probably the best starter (although recommendations are always subjective) and steer well clear of the crepe suzettes

What went South with the crepes?

Halibut on the Sky was thick filet cooked perfectly with great seasoning.  One of the best I have had.  Crab cake was so so not bad but .... Calamari was fine.  My biggest problem was both were severed Luke warm.  Crape's were fine but nothing special. The tower appetizer looked good we we did not order so no comment on taste. Service was outstanding always there but not overwhelming.  Will do it again on next cruise. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ghgeckos said:

Did Princess update the Discovery with The Catch by Rui yet? Hoping they do before our cruise next year.

That will occur in the fall I believe. I'm on the Discovery next month

Here are some sample dishes from May 5, 2023 on Majestic. It was basically the first night of the official opening. Photos show three of the appetizers, one dessert. No main course pics, sorry.

Group of five for dinner. Pals from university, back in the day...first cruise ever for two members of the group. We were having such an enjoyable time with our reunion among friends, I know that I enjoyed the company, the conversation, the wine and most of the food. Don't ask me for details of the food though. We enjoyed the setting, seated by the window, so much - we booked a second dinner there for the last night of the cruise. Enjoyed the second dinner as much as the first. 

mussels C.jpg

crab cakes Catch.jpg

seafood appy C.jpg

choco desserts.jpg

Edited by CruzeQueen2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Here are some sample dishes from May 5, 2023 on Majestic. It was basically the first night of the official opening. Photos show three of the appetizers, one dessert. No main course pics, sorry.

Group of five for dinner. Pals from university, back in the day...first cruise ever for two members of the group. We were having such an enjoyable time with our reunion among friends, I know that I enjoyed the company, the conversation, the wine and most of the food. Don't ask me for details of the food though. We enjoyed the setting, seated by the window, so much - we booked a second dinner there for the last night of the cruise. Enjoyed the second dinner as much as the first. 

mussels C.jpg

crab cakes Catch.jpg

seafood appy C.jpg

choco desserts.jpg

I love pictures. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1

The lobster tail and filet with red wine sauce was excellent.  Came with a few marinated onions in the same red wine sauce that it you sliced them thin and small enough you could add a sliver to every bite.  The fingerling potatoes were also nice as a side dish, especially when they soaked in the melted lobster tail butter.  The tale of citrus lobster tail appetizer was also good.  Crab cake app was small and could have been hotter.  This was on the Majestic.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

My in-laws loved Catch so much that they ate there most nights of their cruise! They had the whole lobster, seafood tower, oysters, surf and turf, calamari, crepes, a berry dessert, and I can’t remember what else.

Nice!

• 3 months later...

Catch by Rudy

IMG_4085.thumb.jpeg.a26d0ab18020078afc4fc873dc79af6c.jpeg

Well let’s start with my most controversial comment. Did it live up to the hype? Partially in my opinion. Catch by Rudy is a bit of a special restaurant within the specialty restaurants.

First the staff and waiter. We stood alone for quite some time at the entrance desk before anyone welcomed us. I personally found that a bit awkward. We took a good look at the restaurant and it's beautiful, nice colors, good atmosphere, and nice plates on the table. After being seated the waiter gave a short introduction. We got the menu and made our choices for the 3-course dinner. I expected 4 or 5, but what counts is the quality and not the number of courses.

I did have an issue with the waiter. I try to explain as best as I can why. I'm not a foody nor do I eat in fancy restaurants all the time. I don't care for traditional waiting services like in high class restaurants. I do have enough experience with those kind of restaurants in my lifetime. The waiter acted a bit like he worked in a Michelin star restaurant but only showed/expressed some learned tricks. If you act in a certain way you have to follow through, and he didn't. So, for me that created an imbalance. A small example, if you want to play the waiter in a fancy restaurant you (also) must give some explanation about the dishes when served and not just put it on the table and walk away. Mind you I rather have a relaxed smiling waiter who is conversional and just friendly instead of doing things according to some rules.

But anyway, that’s minor. The most important part is the food. The starters and desserts we ordered were very good. Good portions, very good taste, excellent.

IMG_4087.thumb.jpeg.bd5e8c877bfd5cf84e1e74840561b80c.jpeg

IMG_4089.thumb.jpeg.55f2d4775c932b1dec6e49c734e9b122.jpeg

The main dishes were not on quite on par in my humble opinion. Let me explain why I say this. For an extra charge of $39 you want the main dish to shine. No holding back, no reservations. I ordered the surf 'n turf. The lobster was very good, but the filet was not so good. My wife had King prawns but had a feeling of "is that all" after scraping off the flesh.

IMG_4088.thumb.jpeg.ea8e74856b0e9bcdc42f8caf0ba94eba.jpeg

Our end conclusion is that it is a very nice addition to the speciality restaurants. I would book Catch by Rudy again and even recommend it. But I can’t deny I have some reservations.

• Thanks 1