Gratuities discrepancy

soccermom4

In looking at my Cruise Manager - it shows $174 for gratuity amount if I choose to pre-pay.  The cruise is 12 nights - so that works out to the $14.50/pp/per day rate.  However, I thought that the rate had changed to $16/pp/per day.  We're not pre-paying because I want it to be deducted from OBC and Cruise Cash from our TA.  Will it flip to the $16 rate on-board?  (We leave in 7 days).

You may be locked in at the gratuity rate that was in effect when you book the trip.  Even if the current rate is $16, my math says you would be paying just an additional $18.50 for your 12 night cruise if you wait to use your OBC & Cruise Cash.

46 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

You may be locked in at the gratuity rate that was in effect when you book the trip.  Even if the current rate is $16, my math says you would be paying just an additional $18.50 for your 12 night cruise if you wait to use your OBC & Cruise Cash.

I know, not a big deal - but there are 6 of us in the family...Just trying to let the young adults know what their "free drink allowance" will be.

52 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

That's what it appears to be, but normally you aren't locked in unless you pre-pay by the date the new rate went int effect (April 1), so that doesn't make sense.  Maybe Carnival is just trying to incentivize people to pre-pay by keeping showing the older cost now?

Yeah, I thought it was odd (that's why I asked).  Guess I'll just have to wait to find out!  Surprised no one else has seen it.  I booked back in September, but definitely did not prepay at the old rate.

NCL specifically made an offer to those booked to prepay at the rate when they booked, or otherwise on board pay the new rate. We prepaid as it saved us $88 for the two of us on an 11 night cruise.

13 minutes ago, soccermom4 said:

I remember seeing that from CCL too.  Just wanted to use all this Cruise Cash from the TA....which can't be used to prepay.  HAL deducts gratuities daily.  Don't remember what CCL does.

You booked with a TA who probably included grats in the cruise fare.  I know mine did and even though I haven't paid them yet and won't until final payment date, they will be at the prior rate.

• Like 1

In the past I never prepaid gratuities, but now with all the constant increases I am getting more focused on this issue. 

I have an upcoming Princess cruise with gratuities listed at the old rate, and I made sure to prepay them. 

I took another cruise line to Europe in March, and if you prepaid, you paid in dollars, but if you waited to pay on the ship, you had to pay in Euros (more costly)!

Yes, the price might go up on the ship, because you will probably be charged the current gratuities rate, but I hope you have cruise cash to pay everything and also enjoy some extras!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

NCL specifically made an offer to those booked to prepay at the rate when they booked, or otherwise on board pay the new rate. We prepaid as it saved us $88 for the two of us on an 11 night cruise.

Yep, their old rate was 16 per day and their new rate is 20 per day, the highest amongst all main stream lines.

Interesting observation!

I looked in my cruise manager too - looks like tips are at the $14.50 rate for us too,

for a sailing next summer...

Going to try to prepay and lock in that rate too!

Thanks for sharing with us all!