Tropicante

No longer.  I believe Krazy Lobster took over the space, but can't be sure. If there's a "Tropicante" still written on the white frontage, it either hasn't been changed or someone new took over.  Steve said the lease expired.  Haven't heard if Carolina and Jorge  landed somewhere else or opened another spot.

19 hours ago, notsurewhatmynameshouldbe said:

Has anyone been this year?  Tell me all about it!

Thanks

I also don’t know who is running it now. The one time we were in port last year and tried to go it was a Sunday. They were  closed and we got hustled by El Faro next door.

I see one recent review on TA. It was reasonable but it said they were charging $3 per lounger so doesn’t sound like it belongs to Krazy Lobster. However there appear to be limited actual owners in Costa Maya these days and clubs are only “managed”.

19 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Do you mind elaborating on this? Do you mean no owners are on-site at the beach bars in Costa Maya?  Or something else?

This is purely my opinion, and I have no factual knowledge. From contacting multiple vendors over the years about facilities and pricing, reading multiple reviews and following trails, I have seen the same names and similar business plans repeated at different locations. It becomes obvious there are a limited numbers of owners, or investors, but each location will have an in-house manager.

This is not unusual with beach clubs and restaurants (Cozumel has a manager in many of its clubs) but i just have an uneasy feeling about Costa Maya, especially since the restart,  that there seems to be a limited number of people “pulling the strings”. 

In the past, @crewsweeper has had more local contacts in Mahahual and probably more insight. He used to know the old owner of Tropicante and the current owner of Jaimie’s. Krazy Lobster has definitely expanded and taken over more beachfront real estate. I was merely pointing out that if the lounge rental fee was correct from the TA report that has not been my experience at other Krazy Lobster locations,  and so I am unsure whetherthey now own Tropicante.

Again this is all purely my opinion from what I have seen and heard.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 8:09 AM, crewsweeper said:

No longer.  I believe Krazy Lobster took over the space, but can't be sure. If there's a "Tropicante" still written on the white frontage, it either hasn't been changed or someone new took over.  Steve said the lease expired.  Haven't heard if Carolina and Jorge  landed somewhere else or opened another spot.

Not true as of late April, we were just there.  Granted they seem to be getting squeezed out by El Faro and Krazy Lobster and I don't expect them to be around much longer.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Beaver1975 said:

Not true as of late April, we were just there.  Granted they seem to be getting squeezed out by El Faro and Krazy Lobster and I don't expect them to be around much longer.

Good to hear.  Was Carolina there?

On 6/23/2023 at 12:12 PM, crewsweeper said:

Good to hear.  Was Carolina there?

Carolyn was there. 

But, the squeeze out may be complete and they could possibly be gone. I emailed her a few days ago, to make a reservation, and have not heard back.

Costa Maya become a "sea day" for us.

Edited by Beaver1975
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2023 at 3:29 PM, KrustyTheClown said:

That is great to hear!  I'll pay them a visit in November - always enjoy that location

Can you tell me why you love it so much? I've only been down there once, but doing my research, I'm so turned off by the locations that have a peso menu and a USD menu. Because when you do the conversion the USD menu is twice the price. Thanks!

2 hours ago, KarenGretz said:

Can you tell me why you love it so much? I've only been down there once, but doing my research, I'm so turned off by the locations that have a peso menu and a USD menu. Because when you do the conversion the USD menu is twice the price. Thanks!

By choice we always pay in pesos but often times,  especially in the tourist bars, the peso menus is only  for locals and resident ex-pats. 

Also it depends what exchange rate they are using compared to the actual exchange rate.

12 minutes ago, KarenGretz said:

Correct. I just looked at one menu and the margarita is 12 USD, or 100 pesos. Even at the terrible exchange rate right now, the pesos convert to $5.95....

So that is two prices on one menu? Not the locals menu? Which bar is that?

Edited by c-leg5