Laundry Service

m8zenblue

Hello again all !

We are almost newbies to HAL, we cruised once many, many years ago.

I searched threads and could only find one from 2009.

What is the laundry situation on HAL ?

On X, we are Elite and get 2 bags of laundry.

Is there a set price, do you have to have a status, is there self service laundry facilities ?

Thanx !

20 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

Hello again all !

We are almost newbies to HAL, we cruised once many, many years ago.

On X, we are Elite and get 2 bags of laundry.

Is there a set price, do you have to have a status, is there self service laundry facilities ?

Thanx !

There is a set price for laundry, but there are no self-service facilities. If you are in a Neptune suite or higher, you get free laundry service! 

You can buy an unlimited laundry package.  The price will depend on the length of your cruise.  I think it is $9.00 per day of cruise.  Or you can buy it by the bag.  As much as you can stuff into a sturdy canvas bag for $30.  (prices are approximate but they are a ballpark price)  HAL does a great job on the laundry and we have never had any issues with damage or shrinkage.  We are 4 star mariners now  and the best perk is free laundry!!

• Like 4

Who wants to do laundry on vacation?  I am not angry HAL removed the last of the self service machines years ago.  Either buy the unlimited package - send in whatever you like each day if you want, or by the bag.  I have stuffed a lot into those cloth bags.  Now that we are 4 star, free laundry - its the best perk ever!

• Like 5

Zero self-laundry machines on HAL. $35/bag on my recent cruise. The unlimited laundry option was equally laughable.... Would have been cheaper to buy new clothes at Amazon (undershirts, plain t-shirts, socks, and underwear) and toss than to exercise the unlimited laundry option. I'm 100% serious on that... I did the math.

Edited by Mike07

3 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Zero self-laundry machines on HAL. $35/bag on my recent cruise. The unlimited laundry option was equally laughable.... Would have been cheaper to buy new clothes at Amazon (undershirts, plain t-shirts, socks, and underwear) and toss than to exercise the unlimited laundry option. I'm 100% serious on that... I did the math.

The HAL laundry service is a heck of a lot cheaper than any hotel I have had laundry done at!!!

If you don't want to use the laundry service or cruise on HAL then you are not forced to.

~Nancy

• Like 3

9 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

The search is not always useful. Here is a recent short thread about laundry. While the title is about Unlimited, the value of By-the-bag is discussed.

We just made 4* in advance of a 35-day So.Pacific cruise. That doesn't help you I know! But what I have to say is, prior to this achievement -- we packed 7 or 8 days worth of clothing and sent out a bag when two days were left. We found that the best value.

This doesn't count my first transAtlantic on the Nieuw Amsterdam when I did all of our laundry in the sink!!! Including men's pants. UGG. Never again I said. Back then I was still terrorized by visions of clothing ruined by very hot water and hot dryers. After years of being reassured by @kazu and others, that you can write handling instructions, even circling individual items (everything is itemized when sending in a bag). Care can even include air-drying! -- air-dried items may take an extra day to return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

The HAL laundry service is a heck of a lot cheaper than any hotel I have had laundry done at!!!

If you don't want to use the laundry service or cruise on HAL then you are not forced to.

~Nancy

Good points Nancy.  I find it interesting that people complain about the cost of laundry on HAL, as it's cheaper than most major cruise lines and you don't have a flimsy paper bag to fill.  

Let's take a 14 day cruise for example, where you buy the unlimited package at $9 a day per stateroom.  That's $126 for the cruise.  Assuming a $2000 per person cruise fare (yes that probably low) - adding laundry increases cruise cost by about 3%.  That 3% makes the cruise much more enjoyable, plus you can pack less.

The real deal is a cabin for three or four, as the per stateroom price is the same!

• Like 6

Is anyone able to provide the rate for unlimited laundry on Westerdam 14 day Trans Pacific and 14 day Trans Atlantic on Nieuw Amsterdam?

Last month on Eurodam was a different rate than we paid in Feb on Nieuw Statendam so I'm hoping a current (or very recent) passenger can provide rates.

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Is anyone able to provide the rate for unlimited laundry on Westerdam 14 day Trans Pacific and 14 day Trans Atlantic on Nieuw Amsterdam?

Last month on Eurodam was a different rate than we paid in Feb on Nieuw Statendam so I'm hoping a current (or very recent) passenger can provide rates.

Thanks!!

If you are booked, the unlimited laundry will show up in your "My Booking" under "Purchase Packages" then "Packages and Gifts" then "Packages" (Whew, lots of clicks!!!!).  People reported that the rates went up recently.

My 14 day Trans Atlantic on Zuiderdam in May 2024 is listed as this so $10.50/day:

image.png.02605c6138628eeb26794f9c18d7568a.png

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, oakridger said:

If you are booked, the unlimited laundry will show up in your "My Booking" under "Purchase Packages" then "Packages and Gifts" then "Packages" (Whew, lots of clicks!!!!).  People reported that the rates went up recently.

My 14 day Trans Atlantic on Zuiderdam in May 2024 is listed as this so $10.50/day:

~Nancy

Yeah it should work that way, but HAL likes you better; I keep getting:

20230618_022526.jpg

8 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Oh darn @Haljo1935!  Mine worked just now.  Who knows???  At least you know the current price now!

🤷‍♀️

Yes and thank you!!

Don't want to hijack this thread, but if you've done a TA, would love any tips/feedback. This is our first.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yeah it should work that way, but HAL likes you better; I keep getting:

You may have already tried this, but if not, try logging in and accessing your account from a different browser. I’ve found I often have troubles like that with transactional type content on the HAL website when I’m in Safari, but things general start working again if I switch to Chrome.

• Like 1