Library on nieuw STATENDAM

Minoushka

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Crows Nest.

I wouldn't call that a library.

@OP -- Said explorer's lounge "library" had like ten books. If somebody wants to post a photo of that library, I would gladly eat my crow on that one.

I'm guessing that HAL, Celebrity, Princess, and others realize that "libraries" don't bring in revenue and increase C-suite bonuses at Christmas time.

Edited by Mike07

Doesn't matter what you call it, the OP asked about a library and that is where it is. The size of the library is not huge on any HAL ship...just a fact of life.

It's not because someone at HAL is on the take, which seems to your common reasoning.

The MSC has continued with a ship's library with the Lirica-class, Musica-class, and Fantasia-class cruise ships having well stocked libraries in several languages. I am not sure if the newest ships in the Meriviglia-class, Seaside-class, or World-class have continued the tradition though.

Well, it won't be a moment too soon. There is no library there and if you want to read a book, there may be  donations on a random shelf. Maybe one or two books. I don't understand what is so hard about this. People read. Books are good. So provide them already. Thanks. 

• Like 2

There were a few books in the crows nest as others have said, not a bunch.  I was surprised the number of games they had there on the shelves.  For me, I always pack a few books that are to my taste.  You are never going to be sure something you'd be interested in is stocked & available.

On 6/12/2023 at 5:42 AM, Banditswife said:

There were a few books in the crows nest as others have said, not a bunch.  I was surprised the number of games they had there on the shelves.  For me, I always pack a few books that are to my taste.  You are never going to be sure something you'd be interested in is stocked & available.

It's good that there is still someone to discuss the atmosphere of gatherings in the library with. My son said that when he searches for materials for his assignments at the university, he uses https://writingbros.com/essay-examples/sincerity/ to find information and examples of writing papers. The younger generation has excellent learning opportunities with such services. Do you remember how we spent hours after classes sitting in libraries? Nice to remember.

I agree, it's always worth thinking about books ahead of time. My Kindle helps me out when I can't find anything for myself in the library.

On 6/11/2023 at 1:38 PM, Mike07 said:

I wouldn't call that a library.

@OP -- Said explorer's lounge "library" had like ten books. If somebody wants to post a photo of that library, I would gladly eat my crow on that one.

I'm guessing that HAL, Celebrity, Princess, and others realize that "libraries" don't bring in revenue and increase C-suite bonuses at Christmas time.

actually several princess ships like grand, golden, emerald, crown still have a semi decent little library..it is mostly stocked with paperbacks that guests have left behind along with maybe two dozen princess provided books...also puzzles etc....i just got off 21 days on the crown and went there everyday and it seemed to be pretty heavily used for jigsaw puzzles etc....the entire room is maybe 500 or so square feet but it does work and is a nice amenity....sad that the big new ships can't figure out to at least dedicate 500 sf to a similar library....no it doesn't bring revenues but it also doesn't cost them diddly to provide this amenity that many people still use frequently

5 hours ago, dockman said:

actually several princess ships like grand, golden, emerald, crown still have a semi decent little library..it is mostly stocked with paperbacks that guests have left behind along with maybe two dozen princess provided books...also puzzles etc....i just got off 21 days on the crown and went there everyday and it seemed to be pretty heavily used for jigsaw puzzles etc....the entire room is maybe 500 or so square feet but it does work and is a nice amenity....sad that the big new ships can't figure out to at least dedicate 500 sf to a similar library....no it doesn't bring revenues but it also doesn't cost them diddly to provide this amenity that many people still use frequently

I've been on the grand, crown, and emerald. All have libraries, iirc. They're also older ships.

I'm curious if this new sphere class is going to come with a library. The Edge class does not. The Rotterdam VII allegedly has a library, though the Statendam had a weak attempt.

You're right, a library hardly cost anything, but it's space that can't be monetized. Call me cynical, but some of these great new ships that have passenger capacities larger than ever seem to be forgetting libraries.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, quack2 said:

It's not just the availability of books, but libraries in the past were one place you could go on a ship where the awful ship "music" wasn't blaring.  One could actually read a book in there.

On the Konigsdam, the "library" was right next to the coffee bar so one's quiet was constantly getting interrupted by the hissing cappuccino machines. Getting away from that infernal canned music was a huge chore, I don't remember facing on any other older HAL ship.

• Like 1