Strict arrival times

Babybooface

20 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

A lot of people on here may be Mediterranean tier, but Pacific and Atlantic are bigger tiers.

I agree that the website contradicts the booklet. I don’t know which is correct.

Only just got our Atlantic pins, however with the future cruises we would be just shy of Mediterranean on our Arvia cruise next summer.  Just curious as the P&O web pages have only recently been refreshed.

23 minutes ago, Lee117five0 said:

I'm willing to bet only about 10% of people would be entitled to early boarding. Went on Iona back in October and everyone we spoke to had been on fewer than 5 cruises. It was something that surprised us as cruise ships have a reputation for being filled by people who basically live aboard. Quite a lot of people we spoke to were on their very first cruise. We spoke to just a single couple who'd been on like 25 or something. So we spoke to maybe 100ish people. About 30 were on a first cruise. About 30 were on a second. The other 40 were under 5. And just 2 were on a couple dozen.

When you're part of an exclusive group it's easy to think that everyone is part of it. We're not.

It very much depends on which ship. The larger, newer ships attract new, younger cruisers. Whilst the older smaller shops attract older traditional cruisers. On those ships a first time cruiser is very rare.

• Like 1

You know I think a lot of this upset with arrival times also stems from expectations.

We started cruising 10 years ago with NCL and they had enforced arrival times; that’s what we got used to. When we first started to go with P&O and they didn’t have times I thought it was strange, and now they have the arrival times it’s more what we are used too, and we don’t blink at it and manage our pre-cruise time accordingly (juggling disability, long distance travel etc) without complaint. That doesn’t mean it’s always easy (having to deal with medication that needs to be kept refrigerated, and a wheelchair and luggage and not having enough hands can be really difficult) but I don’t get annoyed at P&O, I just accept that’s just how it is.

Edited by Cloudyrain
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

It very much depends on which ship. The larger, newer ships attract new, younger cruisers. Whilst the older smaller shops attract older traditional cruisers. On those ships a first time cruiser is very rare.

I think also that the length of cruise plays a part too and time of year. The longer winter cruises tend to attract people who’ve sailed with P&O many times before 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

A lot of people on here may be Mediterranean tier, but Pacific and Atlantic are bigger tiers.

I agree that the website contradicts the booklet. I don’t know which is correct.

I’d forgotten about Pacific and Atlantic tiers!

39 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Oh absolutely. The older ships are a lot more traditional from what I've seen. They're obviously going to be more popular with more regular cruisers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think also that the length of cruise plays a part too and time of year. The longer winter cruises tend to attract people who’ve sailed with P&O many times before 

And of course it's the older people who don't have work commitments, nor have to stick to school holidays, that go on those cruises. And, the older you are the longer you have had to accumulate the necessary points.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The bags they come in are useful though so I bring them home, the slippers go in the bin.

I like the slippers. They last through the cruise and then go in the bin. The bag I take home. Partners is taken on Princess cruise as get bathrobe but no slippers there. 

On 6/18/2023 at 11:25 AM, david63 said:

It would go some way but the bigger issue is that arrival times are allocated with a total disregard as to how/when passengers are arriving.

We all know of passengers being given an arrival time of, say, 13:00 but are on a coach that is not scheduled to arrive until 14:30 and similarly there are passengers having an arrival time of 15:00 who are on a train arriving at 12:30. There needs to be a correlation between designated arrival times and physical arrival times with an ability to arrive within 30 minutes of that time

RCI do ask you your mode of transport for embarkation and disembarking , as well as you choosing your own time . If you know you'll be arriving later including by coach then you would choose a later time; if wanting to check out of a hotel or live locally then can choose an earlier time. Of course also there is a max amount allotted to a time.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2023 at 10:18 AM, Angel57 said:

I’d not thought of the Mayflower Park to wait until nearer boarding time. Thanks for suggestion.

Mayflower park is closed at the moment for a couple of days due to a marquee collapsing, injuring people. 

Andy 

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Mayflower park is closed at the moment for a couple of days due to a marquee collapsing, injuring people. 

Andy 

Thank you Andy, that’s very handy to know.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 8:41 PM, Book bug said:

RCI do ask you your mode of transport for embarkation and disembarking , as well as you choosing your own time . If you know you'll be arriving later including by coach then you would choose a later time; if wanting to check out of a hotel or live locally then can choose an earlier time. Of course also there is a max amount allotted to a time.

I always travel with Eavesway coaches,,P&O never asked me how I’m arriving.

I always enter 13:30 as that’s about the time we arrive,,,early or late we are never checked for arrival time.

On disembarkation I believe the coach firms liaise with P&O as I always get a tag number to corresponds with coach departure requirements.

Eavesway now have their coaches alongside fro 07:00 and ask that you try to be onboard by 08:00,,,,,we where given a debark time of 07:45.

Although you always seem to get one couple who thinks the times doesn’t apply to them,,,,,one such couple strolled up at 09:00 on our last cruise saying we are not going to miss their  breakfast,,,,someone told them breakfast started at 06:00.

• Like 2