NCL Free at See - drink part?

JoieNsk

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Get the drink package. For about $20 a day pp, your husband can stock up on beer (my husband was always able to find bartenders who would give him 2 unopened beers at a time) and if you have the package, you can bring unlimited bottles of wine onboard for free (instead of paying $15 a bottle for corkage). You can also get free soda and virgin drinks.

Thank you!

But it is not $20 - it is about $45 for a day for two of us. And we don't drink soda at all - like none :)))) I like juice though. 

But thank you for the tip about getting two unopened bottles! So it is the rule that they have to open them?

But I decided not to take the dining and drinking part of the "free at see" promo. If it was REALLY free - yes, I take it! But it is not.

Just wanted to add that you can select the dining package without the drinks one. The amount of gratuity on that is under $30. Well worth keeping. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, purplecow15 said:

But I decided not to take the dining and drinking part of the "free at see" promo. If it was REALLY free - yes, I take it! But it is not.

Just wanted to add that you can select the dining package without the drinks one. The amount of gratuity on that is under $30. Well worth keeping. 

I was thinking that specialty dining for $35 is a good deal. Even if we would not go to any specialty restaurants - I would not feel too bad.

As on a port intensive itinerary - I don't really see us doing sit-down dinners that much.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, JoieNsk said:

Thank you!

But it is not $20 - it is about $45 for a day for two of us. And we don't drink soda at all - like none :)))) I like juice though. 

But thank you for the tip about getting two unopened bottles! So it is the rule that they have to open them?

Yes, PP. They are supposed to open them, but it hasn’t been an issue for my husband, our fridge was full of beer by day 2. I used to pay corkage to be able to have drinks in the cabin/balcony even with the UBP, now that there is no additional cost, even better. I don’t drink soda or juice, mostly water and unsweetened iced tea I get free from the buffet.

Based on what OP has said, I think she and hubby are better off not getting the drinks package this time around, especially if, given the port intensive itinerary, most of the drinking they might do would be on shore. But as some have pointed out, there's the risk that the pay-as-you-go option might not be available in some ports. It's hard to tell. We have a European cruise this fall as well, but the drinks package is a no-brainer for us. I love wine and cocktails, so right away it's worth it for us, as well as having the ability to bring some stuff onboard with no corkage fee.

• Like 2

I’m on this cruise, too.  I have FAS as I know for a fact it’s a good deal for my drinking habits.  I am not going to be staying anywhere else overnight but on the ship for those “overnight” ports.  That means, I’m dining at night and I’m drinking at night.  And, if I so choose, I might get off and come back aboard during the day for lunch and/or a cocktail or two.

It’s been a long time since I sailed the Epic (10+ years).  So, I’m sure lots has changed.  But, I don’t recall them having nothing but “bad” beers on board.  I’m not picky about beer, however.  

Bourbon?  Different matter!  I like what I like.

Just a different perspective, if I’m on a cruise and constantly worried about whether it’s more costly with or without the FAS with tips being charged, I’m taking the FAS and ordering what I want, when and where I want, without worry.

That said, if you’re going to bring wine on board and don’t plan on drinking anything else, it might work.  The question I’d have…how much will you save by doing so?  And, would that preclude you from ordering something else because of cost or unavailability?  What’s the magic number for your tips that would make you want the FAS?  $50?  $100?  

Not saying there’s a right answer in your case.  Just throwing out some things to consider.

Edited by graphicguy

11 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

BTW..there are wines that are $9-$10 but to us they have been garbage.  We have been more likely to pay the difference for a $16-$17 wine that is better.  If you decide to get a $16 wine, you get credit for the $15 and pay the $1 plus .20 gratuity on the $1.

Is that correct if you have the free beverage package drinks up to $15 and decide to get a wine or dronk that is $20.00 you only pay $5 and the gratuities? 

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

...But as some have pointed out, there's the risk that the pay-as-you-go option might not be available in some ports. It's hard to tell...

Thank you! 

I am planning to get some alcohol for the cabin - I haven't decided yet if I'll bring wine with me and pay the corkage fee, or just buy it from NCL in advance from whatever selection they has to offer. 

So we should not stay thirsty :)))

And my husband already states that he doesn't mind to learn more about wine, especially if the beer selection on board is meh :))) He rather not get a beer, if it's not a beer he would like.

Edited by JoieNsk
  • Like 1

I would do the FAS. You save the $15 corkage on each bottle you bring onboard and get a 20% discount if you choose to buy bottles onboard. Since you can get 2 drinks pp, you could both grab a couple beers each before heading to the cabin, giving you 4 and less trips back to the bar. Your DH can drink the beer while you drink the wine. 

The convenience alone is worth it to not have to worry about after the cruise bill but you do have to assess how much you would be likely to spend without the package. 

Don't forget about drinks like mimosas which are included but not made with hard liquor. When on vacation it's fun to have an extra drink or two outside the normal so you could very well make more use out of the package than anticipated. 

Thank you SO MUCH to everybody for extremely valuable info and great advice!

Everything is much appreciated!

When you go to a "new" cruise line it is a hassle to figure out again - how everything works! 

It feels like the cruises are so much alike. But actually there are enough differences between different cruise lines.

But I really would hate just to stick to one line, as you can find fabulous itineraries with different cruise lines. And I always go for itinerary/price combination. I will just have to learn some basics for every cruise line I guess 🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

This looks like a perfect option for us!

I can get 4 bottles for $110, and even that might be too much for us really. But the wines look O'K, and the price is O'K for me.

It seems like you can only get it on the ship already?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoieNsk said:

This looks like a perfect option for us!

I can get 4 bottles for $110, and even that might be too much for us really. But the wines look O'K, and the price is O'K for me.

It seems like you can only get it on the ship already?

It is if available but I think I would take 4 with me after the $60 corkage you have $50 to spend on wine for the draw even point of $110.
The NCL wines are the lowest level at $110 so won't be great, I think you could get reasonable wines for $12.50 each ($50).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

I bet there are resealable gizmos out there that could be used to reseal an opened beer bottle to keep it in the fridge for later.

I have one! I carry it with me all the time when travel.

https://www.oxo.com/2-piece-expanding-wine-stopper-set.html

They work great even for champagne. As my husband doesn't drink champagne, and I would die if I would need to finish the bottle just by myself :))))

So I always need to seal the bottle for the future.

Edited by JoieNsk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

It is if available but I think I would take 4 with me after the $60 corkage you have $50 to spend on wine for the draw even point of $110.
The NCL wines are the lowest level at $110 so won't be great, I think you could get reasonable wines for $12.50 each ($50).

Thank you!

I might bring wine with me.

But I feel like I might not have enough of time or would not want to spend that small amount of time we have in Marseille to go and get wine. Though the wine shops I found - looks like they are very close to our AirBnb in Marseille.

13 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

I bet there are resealable gizmos out there that could be used to reseal an opened beer bottle to keep it in the fridge for later.

I would be more interested in decanting a bottle of vodka into a wine bottle and paying the $15 corkage 🤔 😂

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

I would be more interested in decanting a bottle of vodka into a wine bottle and paying the $15 corkage 🤔 😂

I was struggling a bit with the whole 'booze remaining in a bottle' thing...

I just upgraded my cabin room and i originally had the unlimited open bar on it. Myself and my wife are not big drinkers and I already had some OBC to spend. On a 7 day cruise, this would save me $300 bucks on services charges so i went ahead and removed it.

Edited by knscruiser322