Newbies to Celebrity, question for experienced CC cruisers...

Esmerelda

So, my husband and I are going on the Apex next year. This is our first Celebrity Cruise, but we are not new to cruising.  My question is; how are the beds?  The beds on RC are so hard that we have had to pack a mattress pad with us our last 6-8 cruises.  My hubby has many neurological issues (thanks to the USMC) and I have arthritis so getting good rest while on vacay is important to us.  Are these beds like laying on a rock like RC's beds?  They were honestly the worst we have ever tried to sleep on and we have traveled alot.  Before anyone makes the comment of; ask for a mattress topper....we did many times.  They brought in some little thin like quilt looking things (like 2-3 of them) and put them under the sheets.  It did nothing for comfort. I have photos of what they brought.  This was on the Liberty, the Freedom, the Allure, the Oasis, and the Quantum. They do not offer a real mattress pad due to health concerns.  Anyhow, back to my original question. We like a mattress with some give/cushion, not like a board.  Is this what we will be dealing with on CC?  If so, I will plan on packing a real mattress pad.

IF YOU LIKED THE MATTRESSES ON RC, OR IN GENERAL LIKE ROCK-HARD MATTRESSES, THERE'S NO NEED TO RESPOND TO MY POST. THANK YOU I'm looking for other cruisers who feel the same as we do, thank you.  (Sorry, I typed in caps to get my point across. I'm not interested in starting a big controversial thread, just want my question answered about mattresses, thank you) 🙂

• Haha 2

I'm just off Allure, and personally can discern no difference from her mattresses and any Celebrity ship (Apex, Solstice, Reflection, Silhouette) I've been on.  Just from a logistical standpoint, I can't imagine there would be any substantive variation fleetwide between ships/brands.

• Like 1

The only time I have ever asked for a topper (don t know if it was egg crate or not) was when we sailed last year on first cruise (after maiden voyage) on Beyond.

Matresses were very firm and good according to my husband, but just a bit too inflexible (maybe too new 🙂 ?) for me.  I like to sink in just that little bit.

And on the numerous cruises we did on S class ships, I never felt the need for a soft topper and always slept well.

Edited by odysee
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I think we will plan to pack the topper just in case.  I was very hopeful that RC had toppers then we were told no on 4 different ships, no toppers/egg crates.  I don’t want to be caught with my pants down (just a figure of speech) on Celebrity as well. 😁

Thanks again everyone for taking time to respond, much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Was on Beyond (also our 1st Celebrity but not to cruising) and we had the best sleep in our lives on that mattress.  Right amount of comfort and big!  Loved it so much we’ve googled the manufacturer to see about buying one. 

• Like 1

Can I suggest you contact Special Needs at Celebrity and ask them if they have any real toppers on board rather than just the thin things?

If they haven’t then you know to take your own but I seem to remember the one they provided me with on Eclipse was quite thick and bouncy. I had contacted them pre cruise as I was going to be in an orthopaedic boot and asked if they had anything that may help when I put my feet up. When I boarded they had the topper in my room ready for approval and a selection of pillows for me to choose from.

Nothing to loose!

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2023 at 10:24 AM, Esmerelda said:

The beds on RC are so hard that we have had to pack a mattress pad with us our last 6-8 cruises. 

Just off Allure last week, and it was the hardest bed I've ever encountered on Royal or anywhere else. What mattress pad do you take with you?