Observations from our Sojourn cruise May 27-June 6

cruiseej

2 hours ago, 2seabournsailors said:

I think the Trio on the WC had a very long Contract but we were told in the middle of the WC that their Contract wouldn’t be renewed. We then started hearing the same stories coming from the other ships. Seabourns idea seems to be that they will just rehire them for World and Grand cruises. Don’t really think these people can just sit around waiting for Seabourn to need them. I know the Sojourn Trio had a new Contact for another Cruiseline and I also know another Cruiseline is approaching other Groups. Hopefully they will all be rehired very quickly, but not by Seabourn.

L,   Two to three weeks ago, I sent you a couple of messages via fb messenger on your granny…account…I have no indication that you looked or read them…I’m hoping this post will prompt you to read them.

welcome back and thanks,

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

22 hours ago, frantic36 said:

He is a delightful man. He was quieter and engaged less when we first met him a number of years ago but that was early in his career with Seabourn but has become more confident and outgoing. We have 3 cruises on Sojourn in the next year and are hoping to sail with Hamish and his lovely wife Gail for at least one of them.

He only sails Sojourn, unfortunately, so if you have not booked Sojourn for upcoming cruises, he will not be captaining (is that even a verb??). 

2 minutes ago, Hobar said:

He only sails Sojourn, unfortunately, so if you have not booked Sojourn for upcoming cruises, he will not be captaining (is that even a verb??). 

Our three are all on Sojourn mainly because the itineraries appealed to us as we haven't been to places like Hawaii, Morocco, Jordan, Egypt etc. It helps that we like the ship as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saminina said:

Who knows?   I like Handre as talented pianist and CD.   I agree with probably nothing he has done while in current position.   He is not a jukebox advocate.  He hires Katy to play in a room she is not qualified to play.  I'm tempted to book an upcoming TA just to have a conversation with him.  Or, have lunch with him in Seattle.   In realty, I do not care what this company does today.  Too many choices.

Handre isnt in Seattle......he is in Miami these days.

3 hours ago, nancygp said:

L,   Two to three weeks ago, I sent you a couple of messages via fb messenger on your granny…account…I have no indication that you looked or read them…I’m hoping this post will prompt you to read them.

welcome back and thanks,

Nancy

sorry, no I didnt see any messages......will have a look now. I had three pages going during the WC so flitted back and forth a lot and obviously missed stuff....again, sorry.

9 minutes ago, 2seabournsailors said:

sorry, no I didnt see any messages......will have a look now. I had three pages going during the WC so flitted back and forth a lot and obviously missed stuff....again, sorry.

No problem…as we’re not friends on fb, you might not have paid attention…my messages were sent during the last week of May.

Nancy 

Bring back the great Phillipino trios from the little sisters and early days of the O class ships in the Club. I have 0 interest in a DJ on a ship especially if playing disco (I am the definition of an anti disco person, give me Twisted Sister who I saw all the time during discos heyday playing clubs in NY ripping disco)  can't say on this forum the motto back then.  

• Like 2

Let me provide an opposing view to most.

I often prefer DJs to live music. Some of you may prefer Twisted Sister or Led Zeppelin. Others may prefer Frank Sinatra or Broadway tunes.  Show me the trio or quartet who can do justice to both.  Do I want a lounge singer doing In Da Gadda Da Vida?  Or a Rock band doing Send in the Clowns?  

Edited by JPH814
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am guessing that most of us comparing live music to a DJ were comparing the live music on previous Seabourn cruises to an evening with a talented DJ. 

The DJ does not create the same atmosphere as live music-- especially when you are on for a lengthy period of time.

I can't agree with your view point because I do believe Handre would choose the DJ or live music that he feels the majority passengers would enjoy. It is my personal opinion that  live would be more enjoyable.

It is always good to hear another viewpoint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPH814 said:

I often prefer DJs to live music. Some of you may prefer Twisted Sister or Led Zeppelin. Others may prefer Frank Sinatra or Broadway tunes.  Show me the trio or quartet who can do justice to both.

As a mostly-rock guy from the 70s and 80s, I can give you lots of examples of music which is stripped down/reworked classic rock/pop/ballad in a format a trio or quartet could easily do. Here are links to a few random examples from the top of my head:

Miley Cyrus doing Metallica

John Legend doing Bruce Springsteen

Sara Bareilles doing Elton John

Jon Bon Jovi singing John Hiatt

Brandi Carlile doing Elton John

Miley Cyrus doing Tom Petty

Carrie Underwood doing Ozzy Osbourne

Alison Krauss doing James Taylor

Heck, Miley Cyrus doing Sinatra

Outkast (hip hop) done acoustic

Louis Armstrong by pop stars Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes

The above artists and many others can shift from Sinatra to Broadway to rock to pop. Carrie Underwood has sung with Guns 'n' Roses. Lady Gaga sings with Tony Bennett. Musicians can reinvent songs from any era and do them in their style — and do them justice! And I'd rather hear an original take on a classic song by a live performer(s) than the original track (often with boosted bass or drums) played by a DJ.

• Like 4

On 6/15/2023 at 6:24 PM, frantic36 said:

Our three are all on Sojourn mainly because the itineraries appealed to us as we haven't been to places like Hawaii, Morocco, Jordan, Egypt etc. It helps that we like the ship as well.

Just looked and see a fabulous 90 day starting November 2024 through Africa.  Can’t do 90 days but I might look at part of it for places I haven’t been. 

Edited by Hobar
Grammar
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hobar said:

Just looked and see a fabulous 90 day starting November 2024 through Africa.  Can’t do 90 days but I might look at part of it for places I haven’t been. 

We’re on Cape Town to Gran Canaria.  10 new countries to add to my current 78! 

Edited by galeforce9
  • Like 2

A word about DJ's. There is none on the current Odessey cruise. When I askef the CD, Matt Morgan, he said that the DJ did not work out. The time slot is now taken by a singer/guitarist, playing "Your Favorite Songs and Request". Last night, it seemed to go quite well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CalmSea said:

A word about DJ's. There is none on the current Odessey cruise. When I askef the CD, Matt Morgan, he said that the DJ did not work out. The time slot is now taken by a singer/guitarist, playing "Your Favorite Songs and Request". Last night, it seemed to go quite well.

Great news!  Also, Matt is a wonderful Cd and can’t wait to sail with him again.

who is the singer/guitarist?

Nancy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CalmSea said:

There is none on the current Odessey cruise. When I askef the CD, Matt Morgan, he said that the DJ did not work out. The time slot is now taken by a singer/guitarist, playing "Your Favorite Songs and Request".

Well, if that's a change going forward on all the ships, it's a good step in the right direction, as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for that report! Perhaps management is listening to feedback from passengers after all! 😀

On our recent Sojourn cruise, there was a guitar player who was in the Club before dinner; our group always gathered in the Observation Lounge, so we didn't really spend time with the guitarist. He also played in the Club in the early post-dinner slot, before the band or DJ took over, but we were at dinner and/or at the nightly show, so again we didn't see him. I might prefer the former trios, but a guitar player with a diverse repertoire who can take song requests would be okay with me. And they could turn the jukebox back on for the in-between times when there's no performer in the Club. 

Edited by cruiseej
  • Like 2