Cancelling with Carnival Protection Coverage......

awhitleycrew

I hate to even ask this on here and yes I will be calling Carnival once I figure out what to do but I just needed to vent/ask if this has happened to anyone else.

Long story short we have a 7 day cruise coming up in 38 days, senior celebration for my daughter who graduated high school AND her boyfriend of 1.5 years.  Yep, you guessed it they just broke up.  And I mean the ugly kind where he was caught cheating on her while gaslighting her that he wanted to break up because she wasn't in a close walk with God like he is! Like we really liked this boy so we are all gut punched right now.

So, we are either going to have to try and get a replacement which will require a name change which may effect our rate that we booked this under (50% off deal) or try to cancel and MAYBE at least get 75% in future cruise credit.  I did buy Carnival's Protection Plan but this was booked under a deal and you know how those are. We love to cruise but I'm not sure this will wind up being the same fun trip all considered. 

Crazy thing is last summer we went on a cruise and she brought her best friend and they met a couple who were in this same situation and the boyfriend came with them because it couldn't be changed!  My husband said this boy is not welcome to come! ha

Anyone else had something stupid like this happen? 

• Like 1

Wow!  I really think you all need a cruise.  Please do not cancel for the family!  You are celebrating her milestone, and you should just continue with all the planning.  Boyfriends may come and go throughout her life, and she is probably too young to settle down with one guy right now, anyway.

Well, one of my nieces and her boyfriend just broke up (she is much older than your daughter), and they bought a house together, so a vacation is a much smaller issue in the scheme of life. 

You can read some other threads and some of them say if one of the passengers is a no-show, then the price doesn't change, but if you cancel or name change, the price could change. I am not an expert on this issue, however, so I would recommend much more research.

Is your daughter going on to higher education?  I am sure she will find many great boyfriend opportunities there!

I hope you all get to cruise together!  Best wishes!

• Like 1

Well that sucks, but I say don't let this loser ruin your fun. I know once your daughter is on the cruise, she will enjoy it. And I agree with husband, the ex-boyfriend should definitely not be going! We have hesitated to book a cruise with our college age kids and their significant others for this very reason! You just never know. I thought you can change the name of your passengers in your planner online so maybe if you find someone to replace him, you can just update the name online? But maybe that's before final payment...not sure on all of that, but just a suggestion to look into. Enjoy your family vacation.

Thanks everyone!!!!

After a long emotional day I finally broke down and called Carnival.  It costs $250 for the name change to her best friend who went with us last summer on a cruise (nice young lady who's also single so I'm sure they will be fine). I also added the vacation protection for her because you never know what could happen so all told with taxes and such it was like $364.  We will be getting 75% of the $250 back in future cruise credit, of course it's probably still in his darn name but it is what it is at this point.  There's no way he was going regardless at this point.  Live and learn.  I tried to change the name online myself but couldn't because it's paid in full and is close to the sailing date. 

LibertyBella: Thanks for your extra kind words.  My daughter is an honor student who graduated 7/115 kids and will be starting college in the Fall. She is our baby so we are also looking at an empty nest soon so I'm so glad we decided to continue on with our cruise for her and us. 

• Like 11

12 hours ago, awhitleycrew said:

Thanks everyone!!!!

After a long emotional day I finally broke down and called Carnival.  It costs $250 for the name change to her best friend who went with us last summer on a cruise (nice young lady who's also single so I'm sure they will be fine). I also added the vacation protection for her because you never know what could happen so all told with taxes and such it was like $364.  We will be getting 75% of the $250 back in future cruise credit, of course it's probably still in his darn name but it is what it is at this point.  There's no way he was going regardless at this point.  Live and learn.  I tried to change the name online myself but couldn't because it's paid in full and is close to the sailing date. 

LibertyBella: Thanks for your extra kind words.  My daughter is an honor student who graduated 7/115 kids and will be starting college in the Fall. She is our baby so we are also looking at an empty nest soon so I'm so glad we decided to continue on with our cruise for her and us. 

Good for you!  You all will be together (most important) and maybe the two girls will have fun like my 2 DDs last cruise playing "where's Waldo" or checking out the "cute boys".  We are still laughing about it!  Have a wonderful cruise!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Update:

I just wanted to update on our July cruise I almost cancelled.  

I just want to say I'm very glad we didn't cancel!  My daughter's best friend was able to go and those girls had a BLAST!  They met some wonderful friends and didn't miss a beat all week! I think one of their favorite nights was the 80s deck party.  They dressed up and had a blast right up front with our AMAZING cruise director Leon!!  

My daughter came back refreshed and feeling happy with who she is.  Next cruise we won't put a boy's name on until we know for sure OR make sure it's not hard to change! hahaha

We cruise again in March! YAY!

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, awhitleycrew said:

Update:

I just wanted to update on our July cruise I almost cancelled.  

I just want to say I'm very glad we didn't cancel!  My daughter's best friend was able to go and those girls had a BLAST!  They met some wonderful friends and didn't miss a beat all week! I think one of their favorite nights was the 80s deck party.  They dressed up and had a blast right up front with our AMAZING cruise director Leon!!  

My daughter came back refreshed and feeling happy with who she is.  Next cruise we won't put a boy's name on until we know for sure OR make sure it's not hard to change! hahaha

We cruise again in March! YAY!

With boyfriends or girlfriends there is a need for precautions. Just as you should always put the boyfriend or girlfriend as the outside person in a group photo so they can be cropped out later if needs be, one should always leave their name blank and let them be TBA until the last minute for a cruise...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...