LIVE / Sky Princess / June 17th / Land of the Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 14 Day Cruise

Jeter02

Today we visited Honningsvag, better known as the gateway to the North Cape. Lots of great exploring here including being on top of the world. Very cute thing that they do on the ship is you do get a certificate with your name personalized on it congratulating you making it to the Arctic Circle, which I thought was a nice touch.

The weather continues to be absolutely gorgeous each and every day as it is just filled with sunshine. Besides visiting the North Cape I did take some time to walk around town and actually even over to the next fishing town encountering my new friends, Santa's reindeers. I'm assuming they have to be his because this is as far north as you possibly can go in Europe which only means we must be very close to the North Pole. 

Once I finished my exploring for the day, I did my routine daily swim for the day, followed by a visit to Alfredo's. I'm at the point where I'm there almost daily except for sea days. The lovely chef who helps create the yummy food that we eat in there now just surprises me with whatever creation he feels like making for me for the day. I feel very honored and my tummy and I appreciate his artistry.

Dinner tonight had a lot of amazing options. I started off with the vegetable spring rolls. Then I had to try the rhubarbs cold soup and I will say it was absolutely delicious and refreshing. For the main course I opt it for the corned beef brisket. It's at in a bowl of vegetable or beef broth. Not too heavy tasting or anything of those sorts. It was just simply filling in a nice way. I ended my dinner with a slice of lemon meringue cheesecake which is one of my favorites. I did photograph because I have a friend and family you've been asking me what the fish and chips looks like. So the person sitting at the table next to me was so kind to let me photograph it.

Tonight show's include the Princess singer and dancers production show of 5 Skies. I've seen the show many times on the Sky Enchanted and Discovery. Instead I got to enjoy a brand new show from last night singer Rob in the Vista Lounge. He did a phenomenal job once again as I enjoyed listening to his voice. Had a fun night with the crew stuff entertainment who put on a pub night which was a bunch of cute challenges and games by splitting the room in half making a night full of fun.

Tomorrow we will be visiting Tromso.

20230622_224312.jpg

20230622_224320.jpg

20230623_092751-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20230623_073540_Instagram-02-01.jpeg

20230623_112313-01.jpg

IMG_20230623_142404_087.jpg

20230623_154600.jpg

20230623_121152.jpg

20230623_173416.jpg

20230623_173420.jpg

20230623_175932.jpg

20230623_181051.jpg

20230623_183150.jpg

20230623_183318.jpg

20230623_183321.jpg

20230623_185605.jpg

20230623_190407.jpg

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, jinpasco said:

Beautiful pictures. Is that on your phone or a camera ? Loving your posts though I am not sure how I gained 2 pounds by just looking....thank you !

Awe. Thank you. So I actually brought along my good camera, which is just a simple, very small sony point and shoot. I've had this camera for several years and absolutely love it. However it's been extremely glitchy so all these photos have been from my Samsung Galaxy phone. 

Edited by Jeter02

Hubby likes the look of that lemon meringue cheesecake.... Hope that's still around for our cruise.

One question if I may? Have you seen iced coffees on Sky? Our 19 year old has to have his fix, if not I might have to bring a powdered variety.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Very much enjoying your live thread.

We are lfrom the UK and looking at booking sky princess for 2024 - it will be our first time with princess having previously cruised with Royal Caribbean. 

Food pics look great !!

We did a version of this cruise last year with Royal and it was one of our favourites - so much so that the cruise we are looking at next year on Sky is the 8 day Norwegian fjords.

Thanks for taking the time to do this- its giving us a great insight to the onboard experience on Princess and we like what we see!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malleykatt said:

Hubby likes the look of that lemon meringue cheesecake.... Hope that's still around for our cruise.

One question if I may? Have you seen iced coffees on Sky? Our 19 year old has to have his fix, if not I might have to bring a powdered variety.

Many thanks.

Iced coffees/iced lattes are available at International Cafe. Iced drinks have not been available a the specialty coffee area within the buffet, they had hot drinks only. 

4 hours ago, Malleykatt said:

Many thanks.

Just go to the International Cafe and tell them what you would like. I did that and it worked well. I would ask for 3 shots of Decaf over ice and then add my own splash of cream. There are also other bars with espresso machines, like the one next to Princess Live! which we often frequented.

49 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Is espresso available on the Sky either in the specialty coffee area within the buffet or at the Wake View bar? 

Thanks.

See my post#126. The Wake View Bar may have an espresso machine, but not sure.

Thanks @Jeter02 for being so generous with your time to share your cruise with us.  We board Sky in June 2024 and counting the days.  We've been on Regal and Enchanted and loved them both.  Each ship as its own vibe and we are always happy to be onboard one.   Could you tell me more about the trains from London to Southampton?    We will also visit family in London a few days before the trip.  I saw trains that go from Waterloo to Southampton Airport Parkway - is that the one?   What did you do to return to Heathrow? We were hoping to fly back to the states same day as disembarking. TIA and safe travels!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Thanks @Jeter02 for being so generous with your time to share your cruise with us.  We board Sky in June 2024 and counting the days.  We've been on Regal and Enchanted and loved them both.  Each ship as its own vibe and we are always happy to be onboard one.   Could you tell me more about the trains from London to Southampton?    We will also visit family in London a few days before the trip.  I saw trains that go from Waterloo to Southampton Airport Parkway - is that the one?   What did you do to return to Heathrow? We were hoping to fly back to the states same day as disembarking. TIA and safe travels!

You're going to want to take the train to Southampton Central Station.. You can pre-purchase your tickets through train line so I download the app because I do use it frequently and it's great because I also was able to book my tickets for when we talk in Belgium. And then once you get out of the train station it's so easy to just get an Uber and take that over to the port plenty of people do walk it but I don't feel like lugging my luggage And it's dependent on what pier they are docked at. As for going back I'm actually continuing my stay in London with family so I'm still taking the train. My only other suggestion if you're going to go straight back to Heathrow is to book the shuttle through Princess as that would be one less hassle.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Malleykatt said:

Many thanks.

Princess introduced the lemon meringue cheesecake when they restarted cruising after the pandemic. It is one of my absolute favorite desserts onboard.

• Like 1

I apologize for not posting yesterday as I was completely exhausted by the end of the day. Yesterday we docked in Tromso. We arrived about 8:00 a.m. I did book a round trip shuttle ticket from the port to the city center which cost about $19.95 for a quick 15 min ride. The shuttles do not start until 8:30 a.m. This worked out great for me so I was not rushed for my daily breakfast in the dining room. The shuttles were running every 25 to 30 minutes. The weather was rather foggy and Misty with very low lying clouds so the view wasn't the greatest for a cable car ride up so that did not happen unfortunately. I actually love the dramatic feel of the cold lower 50° f temperatures along with the fog and mist as it just made the town very dramatic and a different feel from all the beautiful bright sunny days we've had.

I did have a independent private tour booked this morning. I did a 4 hour Arctic road trip with photography with Northern Soul Adventures via Viator. I love that it was a small group excursion with only eight guests Max. And the price for the amount of hours to be out and about I thought was excellent. Essentially they took us all around Around and outside of Tromso and even did a visit to Sommeroy. So lots of great beautiful landscaping that Norway has to offer which is absolutely stunning on every turn.

Lucky for me my tour pickup and drop off with at the same location of where the shuttle bus will drop you off in the city center which is the Radisson Blu hotel. From there I walked across the Tromso bridge to the Arctic cathedral to check out this Scandinavian architectural masterpiece. Afterwards I knew I really wanted to check out the Arctic botanical gardens so I put it into Google and start it my walk. I giggled and chuckled to myself quite hard when I was far into my walk to discover I have paid for a one-way shuttle ticket because the gardens are literally a hop skip and a jump from the ship. If you don't feel like venturing out but you want to do something highly recommend the 2-minute walk from the ship to the gardens across the street. It was one of the most Zen and peaceful places I've been to probably this whole trip. Very relaxing and absolutely beautifully maintained and pruned. The fact that this is open up to the public for free is an outstanding gem of a find. The lesson I learned about the shuttle is if I come back next time just to me under around and if I want to go to the city center I plan on just walking it as it's just a 40-minute walk based into town.

Once I got back on board I went to my Alfredo's for my daily lunch and I ordered a vegetarian pizza. Depending on who the chef is making the pizza they don't typically like to do it but because I'm there all the time they had no problem of my request of asking for a pizza half the size. The pizza's in Alfredo are phenomenal but they are definitely shareable pizzas no questions asked.

For dinner I had a roasted garlic cream soup, and since nothing on the entree section really tickled my fancy I went for a good old reliable which I have not had all cruise. I ordered fettuccine alfredo with some chicken to be thrown into the bowl for some added protein. For dessert I have my new favorite princess dessert that I've never had before that was absolutely marvelous. The cherry pistachio sable was like nothing I've ever had, I highly recommend to get this one a try.

For the showtime in the theater tonight was a comedian. Like I mentioned before I'm not really keen on comedians. Also I was just so exhausted from running around all day and a good way so I ended up going to bed rather early.

20230623_222520.jpg

20230623_222528.jpg

20230624_090657.jpg

IMG_20230625_093539_729.jpg

IMG_20230625_151537_138.jpg

IMG_20230624_211458_732.jpg

20230624_103114.jpg

20230624_102521.jpg

20230624_131706.jpg

20230624_133053.jpg

20230624_172811.jpg

20230624_172814.jpg

20230624_184218.jpg

20230624_175455.jpg

20230624_182220.jpg

20230624_185157.jpg

• Like 4

Today was a sea day and complete oppositse, from the random weather we had yesterday with all the thick fog it was blue Sunshine Skies today like it has been all cruise. Lots of fun filled activities today. Breakfast in dining room has always to start the day. They had one of my favorite activities that they do on board which is life at sea which is always a great talk if you've never been to one before where they go over the life of a crew member. 

Lunch today I did in the main dining room as the dining room is always open for lunch on sea days. I started with the mixed green apple walnut salad which was delicious. For the entree they had one of my favorite meals that they do as they make it so well which is the turkey scallopini parmesan. And then I treat it myself too in an eclair. The one in the dining room is the proper eclair unlike the ones that they have at international Cafe or upstairs on the Lido buffet.

Dinner tonight I had the issue of really not too much tickling my fancy. I tend to eat a lot of seafood on a cruise but two types of fish that I am not a fan of our cod and haddock. And most of the seafood options have been within the cod family. I started off with the prawns followed by the spinach arugula cheese wedge which is essentially like a quesadilla. And I topped off desserts with a blueberry cobbler and I was curious to try the sugar-free chocolate-filled buttermilk crepes. The chocolate mousse in the crepes were lovely very light and it's kind of all I want it was more of the mousse than anything else. And the blueberry cobbler is just always a winner regardless.

Tonight in the theater they did a variety show as what they call the Royal variety show. Absolutely phenomenal Dan the cruise director performed blew me at least out of the water. Such a talented fellow. They had one of the singers from the princess singer and dancer production team sing a couple of numbers and had three of the guest entertainers do a little performance. Loads of fun definitely recommend. And later on this evening which I want to try to do if I can stay up late is the '80 seemed Piazza party.

Tomorrow we will be docked in Andalsnes, which I'm excited for.

20230624_205231.jpg

20230624_205240.jpg

20230625_072942.jpg

20230625_115215.jpg

20230625_115219.jpg

20230625_115745.jpg

20230625_121231.jpg

20230625_122633.jpg

20230625_172940.jpg

20230625_172943.jpg

20230625_183754.jpg

20230625_175202.jpg

20230625_181643.jpg

20230625_184939.jpg

20230625_185101.jpg

20230625_191244.jpg

20230625_200536.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

You're going to want to take the train to Southampton Central Station.. You can pre-purchase your tickets through train line so I download the app because I do use it frequently and it's great because I also was able to book my tickets for when we talk in Belgium. And then once you get out of the train station it's so easy to just get an Uber and take that over to the port plenty of people do walk it but I don't feel like lugging my luggage And it's dependent on what pier they are docked at. As for going back I'm actually continuing my stay in London with family so I'm still taking the train. My only other suggestion if you're going to go straight back to Heathrow is to book the shuttle through Princess as that would be one less hassle.

Great advice and info.  Thanks so much! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Great advice and info.  Thanks so much! 

You'rr very welcome! My problem is is I tend to get car sick, so whenever I can really try to avoid buses or cars it's at bes. Especially if I'm going straight to the airport where I know it's going to be an exhausting long day, as it is the worst feeling feeling nauseous prior to a flight.

So knowing me I'd probably would have taken the train back into London and then just taken proper underground transportation or just grab a black cab just to avoid the long 90 min bus ride. I do really well on trains, And I know if I have a private car if I start feeling sick the drivers are always so patient and kind about pulling over so I can take care of my unpleasant deed so we can continue to get to my destination 😊

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions.

- How does dining in the MDR work? Do you book times in advance of the cruise , or each day , or just walk up and ask to be seated when you want to go? Does Princess have early and late seating ?

Because of my wife's celiac disease , we like to have the same servers each night on a cruise.

- Does Alfredos serve gluten free pizzas? If so can you just walk up and order one , or does it have to preordered? Is Alfredos an uncharge or is it included?

- The cruise we are looking at for next year gets back to Southampton at 7am , according to the itinerary. What would be the earliest you could disembark , assuming no unforseen circumstances? Just trying to work out possible flights. There is a flight back to Belfast from Southampton at 9.15am but that seems very tight to me , although we have never been held up flying to or from Southampton previously . If we were off the ship shortly after 7am its certainly doable. It it were 8am before we were off its getting more dicey lol.