NCL to close 9 production shows

On 6/15/2023 at 10:01 PM, YVRteacher said:

I like that some of the outdated shows, like Velvet, are closing but I’m sad to see Six go.  I know not everyone loved Six, but I sure did.

I agree 100%. Six was, hands down, my favorite part of the Bliss. The entertainment was one area where NCL shined and offset some of NCL's flaws, so it's disappointing to see these cutbacks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seminole1975 said:

JP and James 

As I recall, JP's mom called him Jimmy.  He was Jerry Lee Lewis, correct?  James, in addition to doing a terrific impression of Johnny Cash, is a dyed-in-the-wool Beatles aficionado and a world class expert on all things related to the Titanic.

10 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

As I recall, JP's mom called him Jimmy.  He was Jerry Lee Lewis, correct?  James, in addition to doing a terrific impression of Johnny Cash, is a dyed-in-the-wool Beatles aficionado and a world class expert on all things related to the Titanic.

Yes those are the ones. This cast got onboard first of May. James gives lectures on the Titanic which I find ironic considering he is working on a cruise ship! 🤣

On 6/15/2023 at 11:03 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

The only bad thing about losing Six and Footloose is that the people who would be in the theatre watching them will instead be crowding whatever place I'm in enjoying real entertainment.

We thought Footloose was awful

I switched from NCL to Royal because Royal had broadway style shows.  When NCL started doing broadway shoes, I thought that I would try them again.  I have Viva booked (for the ports) and was excited to see that Beatlejuice will be on her.  After this cruise, I may have to go back to Royal.

Judy

NCL needs many more new cruisers if they are ever going to generate profit.  New cruisers are price sensitive and will typically follow the cost more than value.

The cuts and cost increases NCL did in 2023 pushed the limits and IMO there is nowhere else to cut and still satisfy today’s cruisers.

now it’s time for NCL to become more attractive to the new or casual (no loyalty) cruiser.  However, enter MSC, which is now sailing out of NY, Port Canavaral, Miami…to the Bahamas, Caribbean, Bermuda, NE/Canada.  

The Breakaway and Joy are especially at risk against MSC.  The elimination of SIX snd Footloose will allow BA and Joy to offer competitive pricing. Check out BA pricing for 1Q ‘24.  Really good deals.  

yes, it sucks that NCL has to do this…especially for those of us who knew NCL pre-Covid.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2023 at 6:35 AM, cruiseny4life said:

If they contract a violinist like Lindsey Stirling, then I'd be happy! I'd take watching her perform over any of the shows currently on the ship. Likely not going to happen as she's actually a well-known performer. Does NCL get well-known performers? Except for folks like Katy Perry (why didn't anyone warn NCL she can't sing live - and I love me some "Teenage Dream" or "Waking up in Vegas" if it's the studio version)!

And, more shows like Broadway Unplugged (if sung live) would be nice. I'd definitely watch that, as well. 

But really, a few solo acts that are on Lindsey's level would be somewhat excited. I don't really cruise for the entertainment, though. I did enjoy "Footloose" and "Million Dollar Quartet," but I sure don't cruise for them. 

I would go out of my way to take extra time off work and book a cruise if Lindsey was on it! She's incredible!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We saw SIX in 2019 on the Bliss, when it was an unknown show.  I was surprised it made it to Broadway.  We saw it again this year on the Breakaway, and it was simply not as good.  With 3 or 4 cruise/touring shows out there, they can't keep the talent level up IMHO.  

And I'm OK with it going since it is nothing I really like.  The singing is good, but the songs aren't memorable in any way, the story line is dumb and has huge historical holes in it.  And the costumes are American Gladiator meets Amazons From Outerspace.  

I must have seen the show being canceled on the Dawn last year.  I never even wrote down what the name was, although it seemed done well.  

And Jersey Boys is also getting old.  Does anyone under 50 even know who these guys are and why they should care?  It also requires a unique voice to play the lead, and when we last saw it in March 2022 the lead couldn't hit those high notes enough.  Surprisingly, he was part of the Billy Joel tribute on Escape this March, along with 2 others from Jersey Boys.   

We also on Princess Discovery last year, and their shows were very good, although not name brand at all.   That is a direction NCL might try, rather than mediocre renditions of long playing shows.

We have also talked to people on our cruises who don't even try yo go to the shows. They don't care, or simply don't like that form of entertainment.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the things that I really love about cruising, is the ability to easily enjoy dinner and a show. This is something that I rarely get to do at home. It is so convenient to just walk from one end of the ship to another, and maybe stop for a cocktail or two along the way. The shows are one of the things that make cruising a good value for me. No need to purchase tickets, drive to a venue, and pay big bucks to park. I have booked certain ships based on the Broadway shows, but I also really enjoy the production shows on the smaller ships. Even better about the smaller ships, is not having to make a reservation ahead of time . 

I understand that some shows need to be changed out from time to time. This keeps things more interesting for the frequent cruisers (we have seen Velvet and Swing several times). I just hope that the innovative and less expensive shows are good quality and fun. I also hope that when finances are better, they return to having the bigger productions.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 10:01 PM, complawyer said:

six was/is an amazing production. the girls are non-stop entertainment. we saw it n the bliss last july, and recently in our local theater. would definitely see it again in a heartbeat

I'm so sad...I've been talking about SIX non-stop since we booked our cruise.  We sail in August, so boo for us, and the performers.  😞 

10 minutes ago, TPgal said:

I'm so sad...I've been talking about SIX non-stop since we booked our cruise.  We sail in August, so boo for us, and the performers.  😞 

In an earlier post, SIX on Bliss and Breakaway final dates are Feb 2024.

• Like 1

My take on the entertainment/shows on NCL has been that they make NCL different than the other major lines.  If it goes away, then the reason to pick NCL gets less.  The only major line that we thought compared on the shows is Celebity on their newer ships.  So if you like production shows, give them a look.

Sigh.

• Like 3