NCL to close 9 production shows

Closed from July until February. Does this mean some may come back? I have seen Velvet and Showdown multiple times, so I feel like they could be replaced for a while. But, I was looking forward to seeing Footloose in September. Hope they come up with a good replacement. 

17 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Closed from July until February. Does this mean some may come back? I have seen Velvet and Showdown multiple times, so I feel like they could be replaced for a while. But, I was looking forward to seeing Footloose in September. Hope they come up with a good replacement. 

It doesn’t mean closed from July until February. It means that the shows will gradually close and the timeline for the closing dates will occur between July and February.  Once these shows close they are closed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oops. just in time with the busy 2023 summer season ramping up - sounds like it is best to say farewell & goodbye to the production cast currently onboard for now.  

AI generated virtual 3D shows ... that is a possibility, according to a quick chat with Google Bard.  Chatbot responded that it will be cost-effective, flexible and accessible.  LOL. 

Cheers 😕

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

It’s very poorly written —  “the company dropped the bombshell that seven shows will be discontinued, from July 7, 2023, until February 24, 2024.”

IMO it leaves the reader wondering 1) are the shows being gradually discontinued across the fleet over a period of months (July 2023 until February 2024) - the most likely scenario; 2) discontinued fleet wide as of July 2023 with an as yet unidentified replacement(s) arriving fleet wide in February 2024; or 3) discontinued effective July 2023 and then returning in February 2024 (highly unlikely, but seemingly plausible based on the poorly written story).  

Auditions for singers/dancers in the US and Europe are already posted. They need to be prepared to sing the following:

Tenor/Baritenor Vocal Selections

ALL I ASK
CHAMPIONS
I WISH
LIFE IS A HIGHWAY  
LONELY TEARDROPS
OUT THERE 
UNCHAINED MELODY

Mezzo/Belter Vocal Selections

GOODBYE, YELLOWBRICK ROAD 
HARDEN MY  HEART
IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN
INDEPENDENCE DAY  
IT'S RAINING MEN (GINA'S MEDLEY)
SECRET LOVE LONG PT. II  
YOU'RE NO GOOD

Will be interesting to see how the cancellations actually role out and what the various replacements will be. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I like that some of the outdated shows, like Velvet, are closing but I’m sad to see Six go.  I know not everyone loved Six, but I sure did.

My wife and I fell in love with SIX when we saw it on the Breakaway in Oct. 2021.  We enjoyed it so much we went back the next night (which was easy to do since the ship was only at 38% occupancy!).   We've since seen a touring production in the U.S, and, the best of all, we saw it in the West End last fall, which was a very special experience.

While we were on the Breakaway, I looked up the ticket prices on Broadway.  They were insanely high at the time, and by my calculations, the four tickets we had on the ship, in great seats, in the very comfortable and beautiful ship's theatre, pretty much made the cruise free. 😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

I am surprised about 'Six'.  Very talented cast when we saw it.  

However, on the Joy in April, we had been looking forward to 'Footloose'.  We only made it through about an hour or so and then walked out. (We were not the first to leave.)  I don't know if the performers were in-experienced, but production really wasn't up to what we expected. 

We LOVED Million Dollar Quartet on Getaway in May so I'm very happy they are not on the list above.  The very talented cast of M$Q also performed 'Broadway Unplugged', one of the best shows we have enjoyed at sea.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Pardon me if this is old news. I looked on the first 2 pages and didn’t see anything. 

NCL announced they will close 9 production shows. No replacements have been announced. 

https://crew-center.com/ncl-close-seven-production-shows-brace-yourselves-innovative-replacements

5DB237CB-801E-4C04-8CC5-DE49867C8645.jpeg

Wow.  And Kinky Boots gone too.  The newest and largest ships will now have no Broadway shows and fall way behind the competition at RCL.  The apologists will say no big loss though.  

• Like 11

Would seem like the days of the bigger ships having two Broadway style productions on the ship are over with Bliss now dropping Six.  

I am interested to see what is put on the Joy and Breakaway as those are larger ships that IMO deserve something more than an usual style cruise production. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, soup23 said:

Would seem like the days of the bigger ships having two Broadway style productions on the ship are over with Bliss now dropping Six.  

I am interested to see what is put on the Joy and Breakaway as those are larger ships that IMO deserve something more than an usual style cruise production. 

The larger ships will now mostly all have zero.  Choir of Man is not a ‘Broadway style show.’  

Edited by JCDCA

the viva will have “beetlejuice.”

”choir of man” has not been on broadway, but has been - and is currently - in the west end. it is not a traditional “broadway-style” musical, but neither is “six.” both are perfect for NCL.

• Like 4

On breakaway in September and was somewhat looking forward to Six, wonder if and when we’ll get more definitive info about dates of removal and replacements - obviously the NCL app still shows it as being available 

• Like 1

posted elsewhere so not 100% confirmed. 

Each show will end as of the listed dates:

July 7th  – Swing - Gem 
August 16th – World Beat –Spirit
September 25th – Velvet – Jewel
October 11th – What the World Needs Now – Star
October 11th – World Beat – Sun
October 28th – Footloose – Joy
November 4th – Showdown – Dawn
January 26, 2024 – SIX – Breakaway
February 24, 2024 – SIX – Bliss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

This is unfortunate to hear.  One of the NCL differentiators for us was the entertainment.  Seems like NCL is really deemphasizing entertainment which is going to make NCL more like the other mass market lines.  Oh well. 

• Like 10

The new CEO of NCLH gave each department a target for cost reductions.

And people complained about not getting into the comedy clubs to see the comedians.

So, most big ships are filling some of the gaps with comedians. And the other gaps are being filled by cheap guest performers.

Cheaper to pay a not-so-good magician for a 4 week gig than a cast of 20 plus production team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Greener123 said:

February 24, 2024 – SIX – Bliss

I might just need to book the trip I'm considering, it would be one of the final cruises with the show!  I loved that show.

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

This is unfortunate to hear.  One of the NCL differentiators for us was the entertainment.  Seems like NCL is really deemphasizing entertainment which is going to make NCL more like the other mass market lines.  Oh well. 

I totally agree! We sailed Joy last summer and we had Footloose (not the best, but not the worst), Elements (really good!), a magician, 2 comedians, Beatles tribute and at least 4 or 5 different live music choices every evening. More entertainment than on any other ship I've sailed.

We're sailing Joy again in July, partially because we enjoyed the variety so much.

Hopefully, Footloose is still playing when we sail as I'd like the newbies that are coming with to experience that full level of things to do. I was planning to skip it this time. Lol!!