How does HAL do the trivia games?

bajae

My one and only cruise to date was with Carnival. Trivia was play by filling your answer to questions on a sheet of paper and then self graded. Is HAL the same? Are any prizes awarded? Thanks. 

What?  No more of those, "highly collectable Holland America penguin pins"?

2 hours ago, aussiedisneyfan said:

On the Rotterdam last month it was self graded and I think most times the prize was a free drink.

• Like 1

It was the same on Westerdam in April. Teams of 1-6. Only prize offered on leg 1 was a pin & drink on the very last day...  

General trivia was held just about every day. On sea days they often added some specialized trivia such as 1960's music or lightning trivia (fewer questions, less time to think over your answers).

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

There were pins on at least one of the Zaandam trivia's a couple of weeks ago! I don't recall any prizes beyond that, but maybe because we never won or were ever even in the running .to win...😗

• Thanks 1

I did trivia on the Zaandam in January but we never won so I don’t know what they got. I enjoyed it except for one major thing - the lady hosting it had such a thick accent that it was very difficult to understand her. She stressed the wrong syllables in so many words that we first had to sit for a moment and try to translate what she said before even thinking of an answer. One question had the word “carburetor” in it, and she was completely flummoxed on the pronunciation. Very frustrating.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the information. I find this type of trivia game  to be more enjoyable, less stressful to not have to beat a “buzzer”. Plus my incorrect answers aren’t broadcast🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bajae said:

My one and only cruise to date was with Carnival. Trivia was play by filling your answer to questions on a sheet of paper and then self graded. Is HAL the same? 

We don't play trivia on the ship, but thought I'd mention that over last New Years on the Koningsdam, trivia was held in the combined area of Rolling Stone room and/or Billboard Onboard.

This made the Crows Nest much more enjoyable for reading et al.

• Like 1

Some lines and some ships have screens in the lounge that displays the questions.  It is really helpful when the host speaks English with an accent.  We were frustrated on the Koningsdam.  It was difficult to understand the questions and wherever you looked you could see an unused monitor screen.  It seems like an easy thing to do to make the play easier for everyone, including the host.  

In our experience, Carnival will have many more trivia games daily than HAL will.   

On Nieuw Statendam last week the trivia was held 3x/day with monitors displaying the questions and answers in Billboard Onboard.  It was self-scoring with no prizes, except for the very first game when everyone got a pin.

• Like 1

Zuiderdam has screens on wall. The host reads the questions. Write answers and self score. No more than 6 players per team. No prizes. Maybe pins left over on some ships, but haven't seen any this year. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 8:22 AM, rodndonna said:

There were pins on at least one of the Zaandam trivia's a couple of weeks ago! I don't recall any prizes beyond that, but maybe because we never won or were ever even in the running .to win...😗

There was the one day, I think Thursdays 4 pm trivia, that had an extra prize pack from the shops.  Also the winners of Officers vs Passenger Trivia got Drinks. 

1 hour ago, ensredshirt said:

There was the one day, I think Thursdays 4 pm trivia, that had an extra prize pack from the shops.  Also the winners of Officers vs Passenger Trivia got Drinks. 

We would have enjoyed the Officers vs Passengers trivia, but it (and the other evening trivia rounds) typically conflicted with our dinner time. It was the first time we had seen that on a HAL cruise. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rodndonna said:

We would have enjoyed the Officers vs Passengers trivia, but it (and the other evening trivia rounds) typically conflicted with our dinner time. It was the first time we had seen that on a HAL cruise. 

Oh you missed a wonderful time Mandy's Husband was one of the officers and it was the day after his birthday so she had the whole Crows Nest singing to him.  It was great 😂

• Like 1