Pre cruise in Barcelona

Just wondering if anybody has been on the pre cruise ( 3 day) in Barcelona prior to sailing. If so what was your impression of the tour and value for the $$$? Right now I do not know the cost but wanted some feedback to help with the decision. We have only spent a half day in Barcelona and I know there is a lot to see and do. I am not sure if we are up to planning and doing it on our own being up in years. Thanks for your suggestions!

We have decided at our advancing ages that we do not like to be locked into a strict pre or post itinerary.  The flexibility of doing things on our own suits us and well as our budget.  Barcelona is definitely an easy city to do on your own.  We were there in May and took taxis everywhere.  Booked timed tickets for a couple of places but usually just a day ahead of time.  Can't actually comment on the Regent pre cruise but this was our experience post cruise independently.

• Like 1

I can recommend Barcelona Day Tours if you want to do something on your own, maybe something a little more exotic. We used them post cruise - they picked us up at the ship, and then since it was awhile before we could check in, we did a tour of Montserrat, which is a fabulous place.

• Like 1

We just returned from a cruise which we started with three days in Barcelona on our own. I found it easy to book tour guides — we did two half-day walking tours through Tours By Locals with a fabulous guide (Gothic Quarter, Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, etc.) — and to book entry/audio tours/guided tours at a number of attractions (Barcelona Cathedral, Picasso Museum, Casa Mila/La Pedrera, Casa Amatller, Palau de Musica Catalana). And there's plenty more to see; we just ran out of time before we had to board the ship! It did take a bit of planning, so if you don't enjoy doing that, booking a comprehensive multi-day tour can make it easier — at the expense of being locked into where they decide to take you, how long you spend at each attractions, etc. I suspect it's hard to go too far wrong in a city like Barcelona!

• Like 2

We did a pre cruise many years ago with Regent but it began in Madrid with several days there @nd then took the high speed train into Barcelona to board the ship. A Regent and it was great. We have been to Barcelona many times @nd have all the other times just hired our our tour guides. Look on this site for great recommendations .

We love Barcelona.

• Like 1

Alternatively you can easily DIY Barcelona.

Book in advance  for the sagrada familia (they run guided tours which are excellent) and Parc Guell ( again with guide).

Poble Espanyol is also well worth a visit as is the old hospital….now a tourist attraction.  
Then plan your days accordingly. Can I recommend the Sagrada in the evening. With all the lights in the stain glass windows it is very impressive. 
Barcelona is flat and easily walkable if you are fit or don’t mind ambling along taking your time and stopping regularly for refreshments. That was our preferred method.
Alternatively the hop on bus is quite useful as is the Metro.

We have been on tours quite a few times from various cruise ships however  last summer we spent 3 days before a cruise exploring with just one fixed item each day and we discovered a totally different Barcelona. We had a wonderful time. I hope you will.

• Like 1

If it is free take it.  They will give you only $750 pp credit to decline it.  So they allow $500 per day, which is not bad for the hotel and transfers.  You can check the itinerary but many are 1/2 day tours.    You do not have to take them... Usually day 3 is a tour with the transfer to the ship in the PM.

On 6/17/2023 at 1:44 PM, snorkle lover said:

Just wondering if anybody has been on the pre cruise ( 3 day) in Barcelona prior to sailing. If so what was your impression of the tour and value for the $$$? Right now I do not know the cost but wanted some feedback to help with the decision. We have only spent a half day in Barcelona and I know there is a lot to see and do. I am not sure if we are up to planning and doing it on our own being up in years. Thanks for your suggestions!

The cost for this particular pre-cruise is $1699 per person. It says the hotel is the NH Calderon or similar. The listing says each day the tours are done by 3:30. My guess is it is then siesta time! 

Ours for Lisbon was £1500 per person. We had just decided to buy when Regent cancelled both pre cruise and hotel and transfers.
The Pope is coming to Lisbon and bring 40,000 youths 😱😱.

For losing the pre cruise hotel and transfers we got just £200 per stateroom

( concierge). TA informed us credits for Hotel and transfers have been steadily dropping this year. I would get fixed prices for both and  compare if you feel DIY would be too much hassle.

On 6/17/2023 at 10:44 PM, snorkle lover said:

Just wondering if anybody has been on the pre cruise ( 3 day) in Barcelona prior to sailing. If so what was your impression of the tour and value for the $$$? Right now I do not know the cost but wanted some feedback to help with the decision. We have only spent a half day in Barcelona and I know there is a lot to see and do.

Snorkel Lover, we are on the pre-cruise tour right now (boarding Voyager tomorrow) and we’ve really enjoyed it, as have the other 11 people who are on it. But, we have been to Barcelona several times and seen all the sights. So we have enjoyed getting out to another area of Catalonia. If there are things you haven’t seen yet in BCN, then focus on that. The tour started with a visit to see the Madonna at Monserrat. It was excellent, in part because of the history; in part because of the mountains. A day well spent. Then traveling to Cardona and staying in the castle has been lovely, and more medieval history, plus a tour of the nearby salt mountain that was the basis for attraction to the area since Roman and even Neolithic times, but especially during the 12th-15th centuries. Excellent guide as well. We booked the tour on a promotion as a free pre-cruise tour. Plus, we have had the opportunity to meet 11 other passengers before we are even aboard. 

• Like 1

I should also add that the tour is definitely not for anyone who has mobility concerns or other health issues as there is a good amount of walking up and down inclines and stairs in Monserrat and at the castle, and on uneven surfaces during the tour of Cardona’s old town and the visit to the salt mine. 

• Like 2

Welshfamily - Barcelona is not that flat.  Great walking, but depending on how you go,  Parc Guell is up a hill,  there is a ski lift that  takes you up the mountain in the city and I can remember looking for a very local tapas place that required quite the climb.  

I would agree, do your own thing, it is great city for that and the hop on,hop off bus is useful.  

• Like 1

Irishwitchy,

I suppose flat is like food ….subjective😁

Yes Parc Guell is up a hill but other than the final 10 minutes we found it a gradual slope upwards and an easy walk down. We stayed by Sagrada Familia. 
However compared to where we live, even the road we live on ….Barcelona is flat. We walked everywhere, taking  plenty of breaks. Son has lung problems and therefore sets the pace and the rest breaks. We found many great cafes etc ( important to stay hydrated 🥤🍷 . ) Walking is the best Physio for him however taxis were plentiful and cheap….again compared to home. We always do the Hop on bus in a new city we call it the hop on …stay on to get our bearings. 
We saw so much  whilst walking the streets, places we would not have seen from the metro or a taxi. 
Our cruise in August overnights in Barcelona and we are looking forward to it even thought it is less that a year since we were last there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Can someone please recommend hotels in Barcelona?

We were just there last month. We stayed at Le Meridien and found it suited us very well. The location was great for exploring the city and walking to restaurants for dinner, not too large or small, quiet, reasonably priced. We would absolutely stay there on a future visit to Barcelona.

• Like 1

I just booked the Iberostar through Booking.com.  However, I don't think I actually get a hotel reservation number, just the Booking.com confirmation number.  Has anyone booked a hotel through a third party (such as booking, expedia, etc.) and had a problem?  I'm a little nervous.

Aloha. When we left from Barcelona we stayed at the Hotel Arts on the waterfront with excellent restaurants at the beautiful pier adjacent and walked to Las Ramblas and toured around on our own for several days and then car service to the pier. It is a city you can safely do on your on for several days and was most enjoyable. Keep us posted!

15 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

I just booked the Iberostar through Booking.com.  However, I don't think I actually get a hotel reservation number, just the Booking.com confirmation number.  Has anyone booked a hotel through a third party (such as booking, expedia, etc.) and had a problem?  I'm a little nervous.

1 hour ago, MudderBear said:

We have booked many times through those third party booking sites and have never had a problem. You can always call the hotel to check and make sure they have your reservation.

• Like 1