Tipping Southampton Porters

Just now, ontheweb said:

Did they really expect them to take US dollars? Would they expect a small care in the US to take British pounds or to take Euros?

Yes, he thought everywhere took US$.  They were upset and talked about it for a while at the dinner table that night.  It looked like that they were older couple and did not travel much.

20 hours ago, phabric said:

Yes, he thought everywhere took US$

Part of me is very unsurprised. I've visited the States many times over the years and have met very insular Americans whose cultural imperialism seems to have no limits. Of course, they are in a minority, with the majority understanding full well how inappropriate it is to offer a foreign currency in a country they are visiting. I would not travel the 22 miles between the UK and France and expect to be able to pay in sterling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Part of me is very unsurprised. I've visited the States many times over the years and have met very insular Americans whose cultural imperialism seems to have no limits. Of course, they are in a minority, with the majority understanding full well how inappropriate it is to offer a foreign currency in a country they are visiting. I would not travel the 22 miles between the UK and France and expect to be able to pay in sterling. 

Not defending the person, but if they had only previously been on Caribbean cruises, in most if not all of the Caribbean countries dollars will be accepted.

OTOH, we had trouble last summer having Euros accepted in the Netherlands as most places we went only would accept credit or debit cards.

• Like 3