Live from NCL Spirit 06/21/23-07/05/23 - Alaska B2B Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

That’s probably a good thing. The last time I did glass blowing I burnt my hand, my eyebrow and my boob.

So, you’re saying you’re one hot Mama……

Sorry, couldn’t resist!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

An announcement was made a few minutes before 7am.  I only caught the end of it and heard something about people with an excursion will get a full refund, enjoy your day at sea and I apologize.  

Did you hear the announcement @quack2

It was very foggy outside at 6am. Again, it is the foggiest Alaskan cruise we have experienced. But now in our current position, we can see patches of blue skies and the visibility now is much better than it was at 6am 

We hope we can see Hubbard Glacier on Thursday for the second cruise as it sounds like it is canceled due to the foggy conditions. 

1 minute ago, Seas2mountains said:

An announcement was made a few minutes before 7am.  I only caught the end of it and heard something about people with an excursion will get a full refund, enjoy your day at sea and I apologize.  

It was very foggy outside at 6am. Again, it is the foggiest Alaskan cruise we have experienced. But now in our current position, we can see patches of blue skies and the visibility now is much better than it was at 6am 

We hope we can see Hubbard Glacier on Thursday for the second cruise as it sounds like it is canceled due to the foggy conditions. 

Yes, I heard the announcement.  Too much fog.  No Hubbard.

Good luck on Thursday.  The weather forecast shows a lot of rainy days ahead.

I have an 8 hour boat trip tomorrow in Seward.  Rain expected all day.  I hope I can still see some wildlife and get some photos.

4 minutes ago, quack2 said:

Yes, I heard the announcement.  Too much fog.  No Hubbard.

Good luck on Thursday.  The weather forecast shows a lot of rainy days ahead.

I have an 8 hour boat trip tomorrow in Seward.  Rain expected all day.  I hope I can still see some wildlife and get some photos.

Is it a Major Marine tour? If so, the tour we took with them last June was fantastic and we did see a lot of wildlife including whales in different locations. I hope you have a great tour. 

Yes, we see the weather looks to be overcast and rainy until Ketchikan.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

It appears the Crown Princess is bypassing Hubbard as well.  There is one small ship near the face of the glacier.

Update:  now Crown Princess has turned as if they are going to try to make it in.

Edited by quack2
  • Like 1

Just now, Seas2mountains said:

Is it a Major Marine tour? If so, the tour we took with them last June was fantastic and we did see a lot of wildlife including whales in different locations. I hope you have a great tour. 

Yes, we see the weather looks to be overcast and rainy until Ketchikan.  

I booked with Kenai Fjords this time.  Both offer similar trips and are both good companies.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 9:25 AM, cruiseny4life said:

That aft pool area and Great Outdoors look amazing! Almost makes me want to book a small NCL ship cruise! Thanks for posting. I think I actually mumbled, "wow" under my breath when I saw that area. 

What's a dumping bucket? To pour out wine? That's alcohol abuse, if so! I'm not a wine person, but I'd still drink whatever's in my glass. Booze is booze says the hardly ever to drink criticer. 🙂

See, Swirl, Sniff.

Sip. Swish, Spit.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GINNY L said:

Thank you for taking the time for all your detail information and pictures.  I enjoy Henry's pub.  They do have most of the top shelf liquors.  Do you remember the names of your bartenders?

In Henry’s Pub, the bartender we met is Froilan. He is very outgoing, friendly and he makes some great drinks. 

1 hour ago, McKJohnOlip55 said:

We are on the train from Anchorage to Seward now. Sure hope we get to see Hubbard on Thursday. We are looking for something to do tomorrow that will get us back in time to get on the ship before 6am, 

If there is availability for a boat tour with Major Marine or Kenai Fjords, I recommend this option as you will stay dry on the boat if it is raining.  The SeaLife Center is nice and will take about an hour or so. 

I'm taking this exact cruise the first week in August and your review (especially the dailies) has been fabulous for me as I love to over-research a trip. 

One favor to ask, if you get a chance...could you go to the gym and post a picture of the gym classes schedule? Its usually posted near the entrance to the gym. Ive seen some of the classes listed in the dailies, but have found there are more classes listed in the gym schedule

Hope your soutbound is less foggy/rainy. Sad for the people on your cruise that dont have B2B so they have a second chance at ports and glaciers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quack2 said:

Crown Princess is well into Yakutat Bay

And is getting close to the face of the glacier.  Meanwhile, the Spirit is moseying on its way to Seward after electing to skip Hubbard Glacier.  I don't the imagine the captain will provide an explanation of why the other two ships visiting Hubbard today got in, and we chose to blow it off.

5 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Thankk You for posting the Officers at the Military Appreication Program.  It was nice to see Hasan's similing face.  If you could, would you please give him a BIG HUG?  Thank You.  

You are very welcome! Do you need me to post a photo of the officers or maybe you are up-to-date with your connection to Hasan?

I’ll tell him you say hi when we go to the next Latitude or military reception on the next half of this cruise. 

9 minutes ago, quack2 said:

And is getting close to the face of the glacier.  Meanwhile, the Spirit is moseying on its way to Seward after electing to skip Hubbard Glacier.  I don't the imagine the captain will provide an explanation of why the other two ships visiting Hubbard today got in, and we chose to blow it off.

I’m really disappointed, too. I wish they had a way for us to go later today. Here are the times the ships were slotted. With it being a light day, I wish they could arrange for us to go after Regatta. 

Here are the times on Thursday which may be more likely for the time of day. I know at 6am, I could not see past the balcony and could not even see the ocean as the fog was so thick. 

IMG_5343.jpeg

IMG_5344.jpeg

2 hours ago, McKJohnOlip55 said:

We are on the train from Anchorage to Seward now. Sure hope we get to see Hubbard on Thursday. We are looking for something to do tomorrow that will get us back in time to get on the ship before 6am, 

I think you mean 6pm tomorrow? 

How is the train ride so far? Feel free to add your experiences to this review as I love hearing about other experiences especially when on the same cruise. 

21 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

You are very welcome! Do you need me to post a photo of the officers or maybe you are up-to-date with your connection to Hasan?

I’ll tell him you say hi when we go to the next Latitude or military reception on the next half of this cruise. 

I send him a note after you posted your picture.  I have not sailed with either Manoel or Hasan in a long time.

I hope you are having a wonderful time minus the weather.  Where I live (about 400 miles South and East of Vancouver, B.C., we are having very hot temperatures.  Will be about 100 on the 4th of July.

The skies are mostly overcast but it’s not foggy and we see occasional patches of blue skies. When the sun has a chance to be out like it was when we were in Sitka, it feels really warm. 

It was pleasant enough outside about 9am to walk around the promenade deck along with several others who were out walking or playing shuffleboard. We joined a packed atrium for Tri-bond trivia followed by general trivia.  We trailed the winners  by a few questions for each game. They did bring out the folding chairs to accommodate more people. 

Next, we went to the fitness center for more workout time. It wasn’t too crowded but usually isn’t after the first sea day. It was after 11 and time for the hot tub before too many people got that idea.  It was not too cold getting out of the hot tub as it was a few days ago. 

We saw they were setting up a buffet near the pool for grilled food for lunch. The grilled salmon was exceptionally good along with the grilled vegetables. They had burgers, hot dogs, roasted chicken, salads, and seafood chowder soup. The tables near the pool seem mostly full and there are people and quite a few kids in the hot tubs. The main pool is closed for some reason.  

I do feel really bad for people who missed the Hubbard Glacier viewing today.   If this were my first Alaskan cruise with a Mendenhall glacier excursion in Juneau and the train ride in Skagway plus the whale watching excursion we took in ISP, I’m not sure that I would be too excited to return. The glacier viewing and scenic viewing between ports are what makes Alaska cruising enjoyable for me and my husband. We are still having a wonderful time and know the weather is so variable. We have heard there are many travelers who will be getting on the 6am ish train from Seward to the Anchorage airport in the morning. 

IMG_5346.jpeg

IMG_5347.jpeg

IMG_5348.jpeg

IMG_5349.jpeg

2 hours ago, oneloyaldawg said:

I'm taking this exact cruise the first week in August and your review (especially the dailies) has been fabulous for me as I love to over-research a trip. 

One favor to ask, if you get a chance...could you go to the gym and post a picture of the gym classes schedule? Its usually posted near the entrance to the gym. Ive seen some of the classes listed in the dailies, but have found there are more classes listed in the gym schedule

Hope your soutbound is less foggy/rainy. Sad for the people on your cruise that dont have B2B so they have a second chance at ports and glaciers

Thank you. Here it is. Have a wonderful cruise! 

IMG_5345.jpeg

• Like 1